Mother India - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mother India Reviews

½ February 20, 2010
an amazing film, with sweeping cinematography, and a powerful performance by the films lead, Nargis. Although the melodrama is piled on thick, we definitely get a sense of the hardship India's farmers went through to eek out a living from the harsh earth. We see how the land ownership system leads to a corrupt life, and it infects Nargis's character as she goes about trying to survive, despite these obstacles. The film is not an easy watch, with such a long runtime...and it is definitely heartbreaking.
½ January 30, 2010
This movie is one of the milestones of Indian Cinema............." One of 3 great movies of India "...........
January 9, 2010
It's hard to resist the urge to call this movie sprawling, because it feels so epic. But, actually, it's very tightly focused on Radha (Nargis, who is excellent) and her relationship with the people around her. I enjoyed it a lot.
August 16, 2009
great movie i've ever seen
August 12, 2009
nice tragedy if there is anything like nice 'tragedy'
½ August 6, 2009
I Love to watch this Movie
May 30, 2009
I have a copy of this and watched a large chunk of it; it seemed impressive, but I really need to finish it before attempting a rating.
½ May 27, 2009
if there were 10 stars, that is what i would give this movie.. closest I ever came to shedding a tear..1 tear!!
April 17, 2009
Hi this is my favrite life time picture,Still this is my best movie,i have seen so many times,but still enjoy it.
April 2, 2009
... To watch absolutly!
March 27, 2009
An actual Indian movie made by Indians for Indians, how about that. Anyways, this feature from director Mehboob Khan is quite the artistic triumph. This is a movie that stays with you no matter what language it's in.
February 9, 2009
Pretty impressive. It's an experience, to say the least.
½ February 9, 2009
a masterpiece, classic
January 23, 2009
This too is my all time best...
January 16, 2009
One of the greatest closely held films of India. Very moving even for a Westerner. Nargis was very impressive in this role.
December 19, 2008
The film is rather on the depressing and melodramatic side, although the plot, as a plot, is good enough. Also, it's *very* long.
August 16, 2008
Indian Classic

Only Bollywood oscar nominee for years...

look for human emotions in it.....
July 27, 2008
There is a spirit of nationalism coursing through this film, a nationalism older than India itself.The film is an epic and paints its plot with broad strokes. It's the atmosphere that's most arresting. We are made privy to the sensibilities of an impoverished Indian woman and, although there have been other films like this one (Earth, Grapes of Wrath), the unique Indian perspective is refreshing and intriguing. The music stays in your head.
July 23, 2008
nominated for best foreign film at the oscars
July 4, 2008
This movie is amazing. Such an amazing director. Great actors and scenery! I also love Nargis' songs!