Mother Night - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mother Night Reviews

October 17, 2009
I've never seen a film that evoked so much empathy in me for such a complex and conflicted character. Nick Nolte doesn't get enough credit for what a courageous thespian he has been. It is also amazing how such a dark film is capable of evoking humor about its subject without treading into the ridiculous. It's always refreshing to see such a grave film not take itself so seriously. But I assue this may have a lot to do with the masterful post-modern writing of Kurt Vonnegut.
½ October 12, 2009
Mothernight is based on the "Kurt Vonnegut" book about a US spy in germany that blurs the line between being a good spy and being helpful to the Nazis. This movie, and more so, Nick Nolte just didn't do it for me...
June 17, 2009
This was a good story, but it didn't seem to translate well to film. I liked John Goodman and Alan Arkin in the film.
½ March 25, 2009
By far the best Vonnegut adaptation ever made. For serious fans there's even a brief, haunting cameo of the man himself. If you read his other books and learn more about his experiences as a POW during the Dresden fire-bombings, the story will take on a greater significance.
March 1, 2009
I didn't read the book, but Vonnegut rings through. Dark yet comic, unsettling but riveting... You're not quite sure how to feel towards the main character (which is unusual and I enjoyed the uncertainty) . Also, I am not normally a Nick Nolte fan, but he did a spectacular job. The artistic direction was great.
½ February 17, 2009
Really entertaining movie...Nolte gives a great performance. Movie is based on a Kurt Vonnegut book and supposedly follows it pretty acurately taking large chunks of the book word for word. Definitely worth a view.....
January 24, 2009
These people are fools. This is easily the best Vonnegut adaptation. Unfortunately no one saw it when it was released. This fully captures the spirit of Vonnegut's bizarre narrative (which is no easy feat). Read the books, but if you're looking for a Vonnegut movie, this is the one.
January 2, 2009
Apparently this is the only decent Vonnegut film adaptation. And unfortunately, it IS only 'decent.' It's got this weird schmaltzy tone that feels off, and doesn't really hit the right notes.
December 24, 2008
The story is good & original but this movie is really borring !!! not good at all...
½ November 29, 2008
In the end, you are what you pretend to be. Whheeeew.
October 29, 2008
Watchable but unsatisfying adaptation about a convicted Nazi-American war criminal recalling his personal life. Interesting casting choices, particularly Goodman as the Blue Fairy Godmother, but overall strikes the wrong tone and misses the wonderful absurdity and gallows humour that made the novel so brilliant.
September 1, 2008
Followed the original novel better than any movie i think ive ever seen. beautiful and tragic work.
August 24, 2008
Started slow but turned out okay. Decent, non-demandin content. I so wished Nick Nolte had Matt Dillon's role in Factotum! See the young Kirsten Dunst too!
½ August 7, 2008
A rather depressing movie. I think it goes a little too fast in the beginning, but I see now that it was trying to concentrate on his life as an old man now coming to terms with his demons (Nazi propaganda guy).
August 2, 2008
I'm not the biggest Vonnegut fan, but this adaptation was quite good. Nolte really warmed to it and his "moment of clarity" which sends him to Israel is quite moving.
July 15, 2008
This is an amazing movie, almost as amazing as the book. Kurt Vonnegut was the most amazing writer and I will never forget that.
July 14, 2008
I LOVED the book, but the movie was so-so
July 10, 2008
Excellent, very moving adaptation of one of my favorite Vonnegut novels, and probably the best adaptation of any of his work.
July 4, 2008
Of course I had to watch Mother Night, having read the book and Vonnegut being one of my favorite authors. It was surprisingly good. It followed the original story well. Go movie people! You did well for once. You didn?t slaughter the book.
July 2, 2008
Tight script and direction with some good performances in this underrated WW2 drama.