Motherland (Enat Hager) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Motherland (Enat Hager) Reviews

April 18, 2017
Overall great documentary! Not depressing but more informative up to date facts about Africa and African culture
May 9, 2010
Motherland is a beautifully crafted, ambitious production that critically and unapologetically examines the beautiful complexity of African culture. Destined to become required viewing for students of African civilizations, history, politics, economics and religion, it is massive in scope. Be prepared to learn volumes.

I really loved this film and like 500 Years Later it is a MUST see, once in a lifetime type project.
May 6, 2010
I have seen it twice, I just have to see it again, and I will buy the DVD which is available online.

There is so much to take in and absorb, it takes time, it is so informative, so educational, yet so simple. The photography is amazing, it has made those in the film so beautiful, that you just want to see more of them and hear more from them.

Congrats to the team.
May 6, 2010
Motherland is a seminal film on Africa, with a very powerful summary of a very complex continent ravaged by colonialism, slavery, neo-colonialism and the like. However in all of this horror we see on television this film tells a power story of an Africa that is noble and great. Beautiful filming, strong back to back narratives from big people in Africa like Meles Zenawi. The film really lives up to its name and brings a critical African voice to a subject which is general absent from African voices. Thanks Mr. Shahadah for yet another powerful film.
May 6, 2010
There is no film on the African condition like Motherland, which not only does justice to the legacy of enslavement by hitting each issue on the head but weaves them together in a seamless interconnected theme

If ever there was a film that could be called the greatest social African documentary this would be it. As never have I seen one body of work which chronicles in a cohesive way the collective history of African people in the Diaspora in context and with dignity. Not only does Motherland document it lays pathways for solutions to the crisis, the film takes responsibility for not only being a mirror on a problem but more than that. This is why it is more than a film. And interesting enough even as just a film it is an amazing piece of visual work, with cinematography rich in African culture, the techniques employed expand the visual expectation and build solid arguments beyond emotion but with full emotion and African aesthetic .