Mr. Lucky - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mr. Lucky Reviews

December 13, 2015
I'm a gambler not a gangster.

A man and his gangsters create an elaborate plan to swindle a charity organization out of hundreds of thousands of dollars. The man flirts with a key stakeholder in the charity organization that covers for him and thinks they may eventually form a relationship; meanwhile, a gambling night is schedule to raise funds for the charity. The night of the event the man's true intentions play out in front of everyone.

"It's gambling."
"Not the way I play."

HC Potter, director of The Time of Your Life, Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle, and You Gotta Stay Happy, delivers Mr. Lucky. The storyline for this picture is fun and worth watching unfold but not entirely believable or realistic. The acting is excellent and the cast includes Cary Grant, Laraine Day, Alan Carney, Kay Johnson, Paul Stewart, and Charles Bickford.

"Are you aware of the character of this gentleman?"

I recently discovered this Cary Grant film was coming on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and had to DVR it. This was fairly entertaining but not one of Grants best films. I recommend watching this once as it is a must see for fans of classic films.

"What did you think this was, amateur night?"

Grade: B-/B (7.5)
½ December 10, 2015
Lots going on here, but the characters are torn between doing what is good short vs long term. Surprisingly realist ending.
January 15, 2013
cary plays bad so wonderfully
May 28, 2010
This is a great film that stars Cary Grant and Laraine Day. This is one of the few films that Grant plays a scoundrel. But his scoundrel is very likeable in this. Much like the film Suspicion he starred in he can make a scoundrel very charming and funny. The basic plot is he is a gambler and a con man during the early 40's. He wants to escape the war draft and takes on a different name. He has plans to take a gambling boat to Cuba but needs start up money. He makes a plan to do a auction for the war relief and steal the money. But in the end he falls in love and changes his plan and ways. Grant is very good in this. He comes across as a tough guy from the streets but he is also very funny in this. Laraine Day was also very good in this as Grant's love interest. Plus I liked the story for this film. A fun film to watch. Well worth checking out.
May 3, 2010
Not the best film with Cary Grant that's for sure. Basically just a classic romance story, with the twist being that Grant completely destroys his film persona. He's a cheat, a draft dodger, a criminal and a womanizer. Not your typical Grant role. The part had to be risky for him with particular regard to the draft dodging during WWII. Not overly memorable, but still an entertaining effort.
September 5, 2009
Fine comedy/melodrama; Grant's always watchable.
March 31, 2009
Is there a need to rate my favorite movies?
March 4, 2009
Grant in a more serious role. Loved this one too...
½ December 31, 2008
Spare me. Nothing is really believable, the plot is too twisty, and the never-ending drama hard to stomach. Could have been so much better.
August 4, 2008
good C Grant at his best
August 2, 2008
I love Carry Grant movies!
½ July 29, 2008
THis is a fun ole movie. I love the line" You got mud on your'll dry...and you can shake it off." classic!
July 4, 2008
Great romance... great drama!
½ July 3, 2008
Kind of a weird movie overall, but I love his performance in it.
May 3, 2008
Its a simple plot of girl turns a guys head and heart, but Grant and Day make it a much better watch than it sounds.