Mr. Nobody - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mr. Nobody Reviews

December 6, 2016
A fantastic film. Overly pretentious here and there but full of so many allegories and slides of chance. Characters fall a bit flat because of the focus on the protagonist but plot and message are the key facets. Legacy and emotions.
November 30, 2016
Superb. Brilliant. Unforgettable. Mr. Nobody challenges us with the choices of life and each outcome it could have by making one simple choice. This wasn't just a viewing, it was an experience. It is long and it can be tedious, but give this film thorough attention, and it may just change you a bit
November 28, 2016
Like its star, the film is beautiful and exotic. Certainly won't appeal to everyone. Repetition and crazy repeating and not repeating story lines stretch the limits of patience and sanity ... or provide the perfect mental escape.
November 25, 2016
2.5 hours, bad, too long, ugly images. Some lovely women.
November 13, 2016
Well.... I just finished it. The first time I tried watching it, I had to stop. That was a few months ago. I was in a better place to watch it this time and I will watch it again fairly soon once I've digested it a bit. I now love this movie very much. The only way it could possibly have been better is if it had been shot like the movie "Boyhood", which is a "one of" and ridiculously difficult.
November 7, 2016
I normally like films that are out of the conventional... as long as they remain entertaining. "Mr. Nobody" is just 2+ hours of nonsense. I can imagine the director believing that he has created a master piece. There are those who create master pieces and those who believe they are special. Van Dormael is only in the 2nd category. What a huge waste of my time.
½ October 25, 2016
Mister Nobody is a very complex film. I watched it on NetFlix and do not feel that I wasted my time. I do feel that recommend watching it would be most appropriate if watched with your significant other. It presents some good moral and ethical quandaries and points, and though the film itself has flaws (The fact that the divergent timelines do not feel like more than the sum of their respective parts), it embarks on an emotional journey that regardless of mangled accent continuity touches upon the soul of human emotion. Though the divergent stories do not play out well in films of a similar type, it is worth the time to see each one and to see the ending. I'd recommend it. Enjoyed it very much.
October 20, 2016
What a movie, what an experience. You don't solve it , it's not a puzzle. It's thing of beauty. It's to experience; it's to enjoy.
October 10, 2016
I've never seen anything like it :D
September 29, 2016
La idea es muy buena (Spoiler: intentar plasmar el "qué hubiera pasado si", las posibles vidas dependiendo de sus decisiones). Ambiciosa idea, complicada de plasmar. Cinematografía: una obra de arte. Buenas actuaciones, si bien no me gustaban sus papeles.

La vida de Nemo demasiado superficial (en casi todas sus decisiones). Varias reflexiones al "costado" de la película, válidas e interesantes disquisiciones.

Personalmente me quedo con "El jardín de los senderos que se bifurcan", cuento de Borges.
½ September 24, 2016
Transcend from this world to another. Jared Leto enthralls with every word he speaks, every look he has. A true masterpiece.
September 19, 2016
Mr. Nobody starts in the year 2092, where an old man reflects on the life he lived. However, over the course of the film we see no less than 3 potential lives he lived. That's the puzzle of this movie, it is about how our lives could be different if we had made slightly different choices, but which one actually happened? Jared Leto plays the adult version of Nemo Nobody, which is well-acted with some different personality traits in each scene depending on which life his character experienced. They also cast some brilliant young actors who mirrored Leto's performances. The one problem I had with the performance was just the old-age makeup which I found to be pretty bad. If they were able to cast young actors who were that good, I would think a good old actor would probably be a solid idea as well. This is one of those indie movies with an almost supernatural plot-line which they never feel the need to explain or justify. It always bugs me when I finish a film and my first move is to head to Google in order to find out what happened in the movie I just watched. It's a very particular style of film that some people will love, but I just never enjoy them as much as I'd like. During the flashback scenes where we see how his life might have turned out I was fully invested, and I loved how they traced those different realities back to a single event that started the branching effect of his different lives. In fact I quite love movies where we see how different life can be when we make different decisions, but I just wanted a concrete answer at the end. I wanted to know what really happened, instead of having an open-ended conclusion with a deeper existential meaning that I don't comprehend. As a result, Mr. Nobody is just OK, and not a film I will recommend to others.
September 18, 2016
An incredible visionary piece of filmmaking grounded by solid acting by Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club).

Highly Recommended!!
½ September 17, 2016
Mr Nobody is an extremely complex film, so complex that I didn't understand it well after I have read some reviews. First of all because it's complex in its structure, and although is not impossible to understand how the structure works, the perpetual use of flashbacks that span in different "parallel universes" of the same story it's so confusing that everything melts in your mind after very few minutes from the beginning of the movie. If you are not a super-sci-fi fan then you could completely lose interest after 20 minutes, but also if you are a super-sci-fan this is not unlike to happen. Choce is the main topic of the movie and everything goes around the implications of the choices made by the main character throughout his entire life. Clearly, this is what makes the structure so confusing. Anyway, it's a movie you love or you hate. Usually I hate movies like this one, but Jaco Van Dormel dared so much but managed to master everything so perfectly, with maybe only a hint of redundancy that could be avoided, that I couldn't manage but to appreciate it a lot!
September 16, 2016
Mr. Nobody is utterly captivating. It's a movie that takes you out of this world with it's thought provoking story line and it's magnificent cinematography. Jared Leto is brilliant.
September 16, 2016
It becomes clear rather early on that the film is hurtling towards a total collapse under its own weight. Unlike in lesser films, however, Van Dormael's well-intentioned screenplay manages to allow his opus to mostly sidestep such an implosion-thank goodness. What remains is a cinematographically beautiful, if coherence-deficient, hodgepodge that shares some of the better elements of "Inception," "Cloud Atlas," and "Sliding Doors," but succumbs to many of the regrettable issues that have plagued the collective works of Terrence Malick and Damon Lindelof. This is a film with ten story lines (one of which is explicitly fabricated and the factuality of the remainder purposefully made ambiguous) spread over four different periods. Thus, I would recommend it only for the most patient among us.
September 14, 2016
"Mr. Nobody" has thought-provoking themes that influence the mind throughout viewing, even though it gets too didactic at times and it is difficult to comprehend given how the multiple storylines are edited.
September 10, 2016
Soundtrack? Great!
Acting? Pretty good!
Movie? Umm....It's something!
September 5, 2016
An ambitious film with great performances and eye-popping visuals. Mr.Nobody may leave people scratching their heads as it doesn't try to wrap its subject matter in a nice bow, however it asks alot of interesting questions and its subject matter is interesting enough to keep you watching atleast once.
September 3, 2016
This was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Coming from a background of Psychology, it was enjoyable to watch a movie that depicted how feeble our memories are. Our realities are an amalgamation of our memories. Even while your reading this, your brain is using your memory to categorize the words and give meaning to what you see.

I can understand how the story line could be confusing if you're not expecting it to change and jump all over the place.