Mr. 3000 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mr. 3000 Reviews

½ February 5, 2018
Bernie Mac was one of my favorite comedians, but I have to admit that I wasn't expecting much out of this film. Mac played Stan Ross, one of the best baseball players to ever step foot on the field in Milwaukee. He retired right after he got his 3000th hit, something that is very difficult to do in the Majors. After his career, Mr. 3000 became his personal moniker, as he launched a number of businesses under the Mr. 3000 name. Ross is even being considered for the Hall of Fame, when a review of his statistics finds an error. As it turns out, three of his hits had been counted twice, and now to maintain his Mr. 3000 persona, Ross must return to the game, at age 47, to try and get three more hits. While this was supposed to be a comedy, the part I really enjoyed was seeing how this superstar, who had everything handed to him, his whole life, struggled to do the simplest of things. The other players hazed him, the younger players resented him, and he had to somehow rectify this with his massive ego. As for Mac, he was outstanding! The man was truly unique and I feel as though he never got the chance to reach his real potential. Films like Mr. 3000 were fun and definitely enjoyable for the audience, but they weren't the kind of award winning, career defining roles that he was really capable of. This film is full of laughs and the sports action wasn't bad either, to say the least, I was fairly impressed and I think you will be too.
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 29, 2017
Too cocky and annoying. (First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
½ April 20, 2016
"Your right."
January 3, 2016
likeable albeit predictable
August 6, 2015
Mac raises this generic,poorly written movie as high as it will go but still not over the top.
February 24, 2015
It's been a long time since I have seen this movie, and looking back on it, it's not terrible, but this isn't nearly as good as I thought it was years ago.
½ January 8, 2015
I actually liked this film.
The premise is simple but unique.
A baseball player was robbed of a few hits that took away from 3000, so he comes out of retirement to get the hits.
Bernie Mac gives a very underrated performance here.
He is cool as the other side of the pillow and brings some charisma to the role. The movie really showcases his talents.
There are some silly cliches...i.e. teammates not liking him, forced behaviors etc.
That being said I liked it.
The always sexy Angela Basset was awesome here as the reporter who chronicles his journey and develops a relationship with him.
She's real good here.
This movie is worth a watch and while some of the dialogue is obviously forced it's a damn good film.
½ October 26, 2014
Great movie and a nice twist at the end
August 11, 2014
I saw a part of this, I think. Bernie Mac is one of those actors who is somehow much better than he should be. I could see him taking a totally lame baeball movie and actually making it funny. I'd see.
July 16, 2014
The late Bernie mac is terrific, but the movie falls short from being remotely interesting.
½ March 23, 2014
I like bernie mac so this film worked for me, good baseball film
February 19, 2014
Bernie Mac is amazing in this film!
½ September 14, 2013
One of the worst sports movies I have ever seen!
June 14, 2013
Au lieu de s'abaisser a enchainer les gros gags bien gras, Mr. 3000 prefere s'interesser aux personnages, tous bien trousses et interpretee par un casting de talent, et prend son temps pour raconter une histoire toute simple mais racontee de maniere chaleureuse, jamais cruelle et surtout toujours divertissante. Mr 3000 est bien plus qu'un film de baseball, c'est aussi une comedie dramatique franchement reussie. Une tres bonne surprise.
June 1, 2013
Mr. 3000 is correctly named. Exactly 3000 seconds into the movie (5 minutes), I could already predict where the story was headed, and how disinterested I was going to be. Taking a ridiculous premise in a genre ripe for parody, Mr. 3000 goes through many cliches on its way to its ending. Like Stan Ross (Bernie Mac), it swings and misses for strike 3 too many times.

After reaching his 3000th hit, Barry Bonds acolyte Stan Ross (Mac) quits baseball during his team's pennant race. Using that number as a lifestyle, he sets up his post-baseball career very nicely for himself. However, due to a stat glitch, he finds out years later that he only has 2997 hits. To make sure his moniker stays in tact, he rejoins the Brewers well past his prime, and learns the true meaning of teamwork and reconnects with an ESPN reporter (Angela Bassett).

The baseball parts are fine, but not too spectacular (Bernie Mac looks like he could be a good hitter), and the team dynamics are subtely explored. However, the shift in character seems much too abrubt especially considering who Ross is "learning from." I doubt Stan Ross would listen to his younger teammates so quickly.

The chemistry is sort of present between Basset and Mac, but it doesn't particulary fit with the family movie feelings the movie is trying to convey. Also, her character seems like a stronger woman; it is surprising seeing her worked over by someone as repugnant through and through as Stan Ross.

Mac's comedy is naturally abrasive, and from his TV shows he can find the right use of it to get across his point. Here though, it seems particularly hostile. It would seem the only reason to hang out with the man is his name, but even that can grow old after a while. The jokes become so abrasive by the end they felt like sandpaper on skin.

Though showing flashes of a good movie, Mr. 3000 meddles in cliches and untapped potential that it turns rotten very quickly. Being a fan of Bernic Mac, it was sad to see him used in such a sad way. Hopefully, he uses reviews like this one for crafting his wonderful sense of humor. I believe in Bernie Mac; I gave up on Mr. 3000.
April 18, 2013
It takes itself way to seriously but Bernie Mac is still great. Not sure who said it but they said it best when he died 'The world just got a little less funnier.'
@thepeterbrooker