Mr. & Mrs. Bridge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mr. & Mrs. Bridge Reviews

February 29, 2016
I spent 2 1/2 hours watching this stupid movie, hoping at some point, there would be a point. Most boring movie, and made no sense at all. Why did Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward waste their time and talent on such a piece of junk?
July 6, 2015
James Ivory's film appeared to be bit too realistic for the audience that it was initially marketed to.

It is not a typical James Ivory film.

Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward give some of their finest work here. In many ways the film is about time as much as it is about marriage.

We follow a middle class marriage over a span of time in which each must learn how to adapt to and with the changes in culture and society. The biggest challenge is regarding their children. As time moves forward Mr. & Mrs. Bridge move forward with it. But it is never easy for either of them.

For whatever mysterious reason they love each other deeply. I use the term "mysterious" because over the course of time we glimpse into their lives, their connection to each other feels a bit shaky. I suspect the reason it feels somewhat "mysterious" is in the way film approaches it subject. There is a distance between Mr. & Mrs. Bridge, but it is familiar. And as their understanding of the world changes around them constantly, there is one constant that each of them can count on: each other. Yet it remains sadly detached -- even more sad, it feels familiar.

It remains a vibrant, beautiful, realistic and sad study of a marriage.
½ September 14, 2014
Good performances working from a solid, if forgettable, script.
September 1, 2014
Its stars, Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward, are on screen virtually all of the time, and they're always worth watching. But the film puts such a premium on tastefulness that it never threatens to become exciting or even interesting.
January 7, 2014
Here is the Hollywood couple that defy typical Hollywood relationships - Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. It is a slowly evolving story but the performances of the two leads keep it interesting.
½ March 20, 2013
A narrative covering the lives of the Bridge family, in particular the relationship of the parents. It had its moments, but was a little far fetched when it came to their children who always seemed to push the extremes. It shows the plight of the house wife of this period, but yet manages to show the relationship's strengths and weaknesses. It throws some strong symbolism in at the end when she is stuck in her car only to be saved by her husband and nothing changes. Much like her life in general. I enjoyed their characters because it seems I have met people like them.
December 2, 2012
A little gem of a movie. Of course, it can't be bad with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward.
December 2, 2012
August 12, 2012
I'm a huge Merchant / Ivory fan. I'm also a Newman / Woodward fan. This is a beautiful and subtle film, with Joanne Woodward's character isolated and frozen by a cold and formal relationship with her husband (Paul Newman) and an albeit non-existent and distant relationship with her adult children.
A 30's / 40's American period piece very well done by the kings of the period piece genre, and artfully portrayed by Newman and Woodward.
If you love other Ivory Merchant projects as much as I do then you will love this. I will tell you this film takes it time. The pace is gentle and deliberate, and devoid of CGI or overt sexuality. It is a character study and it deftly captures a slice of 20th century Americana.
I give this four of five stars.
February 10, 2012
One of the most overlooked films of the 90's from Ivory-Merchant. Wonderful performances throughout.
½ April 9, 2010
Beautifully shot movie from Merchant-Ivory. Kinda slow, but great performances by the real-life couple Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward.
September 24, 2009
The Newmans acquit themselves well here especially Joanne Woodward but it all moves just a little too slow and several of the characters in particular their son are impossible to warm to.
August 5, 2009
nominated for best picture by NBR
August 4, 2009
I watched this because I read Mr. Bridge -- it took me a while to get into the book and it also took me a while to get into the movie. Newman and Woodward are depressingly great as a middle aged, middle class couple. The kids are great (Kyra Sedgwick and Robert Sean Leonard). The whole movie is rather infuriating on quite a few levels, but at over 2 hours it can also try your patience.
½ March 7, 2009
very sad to watch after newman has passed away...
½ November 23, 2008
This is an average film that contains good performances. Paul Newman is nicely understated, and it's the best acting I've seen from Joanne Woodward, but the film isn't a Merchant Ivory classic. The film is a no-thrills display of changing times and morals, but there doesn't seem to be any grand point or reasoning to what's happening on screen, and you begin to wonder if such an average story is actually worth being told.
½ October 26, 2008
Merchant/Ivory production tells the story of an affluent Kansas City couple in the late 30s, early 40s who become bittered and weary with the changing times. Though the ending isn't satisfying, the performances from Newman and Woodward provide a somber reminder of what we have lost in terms of talent and class.
September 28, 2008
Newman's performances on his later years are often overlooked, but he did some fantastic work. This one reunites him onscreen with wife Joanne Woodward as a 1930's Kansas City man hardly able to express emotion. It was unlike any role Newman had ever done.
July 3, 2008
Good performances, but very slow.
½ April 12, 2008
It has all the makings of a thought provoking drama, sadly it is deadly dull.