Mr. and Mrs. North (1942) - Rotten Tomatoes

Mr. and Mrs. North (1942)

TOMATOMETER

——

——

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: No consensus yet.

Mr. and Mrs. North Photos

Movie Info

"Mr. and Mrs. North" started as a series of comic articles about a Park Avenue married couple, written by Richard and Frances Lockridge. One of these articles was "The Norths Solve a Murder", which was adapted as a stage play by Owen Davis Sr. and was later spun off into a popular radio and TV comedy-mystery series. The Davis play made it to the screen in 1941 as Mr. and Mrs. North, with Gracie Allen (in a rare appearance without George Burns) as dizzy socialite Pamela North and William Post Jr. as her long-suffering husband Jerry. Upon returning home from a vacation, Pam North opens her closet door--and out pops a dead body. As it turns out, all the suspects are close friends of the Norths, a fact that encourages Pam to gently interfere in the ongoing murder investigation conducted by Lt. Weygand (Paul Kelly). A second murder serves only to send Pam off on another flight of convoluted logic, but somehow or other the case is solved and justice is served.
Rating:

as Policeman
Show More Cast

Critic Reviews for Mr. and Mrs. North

All Critics (1)

At times the comedy is forced.

Full Review… | May 4, 2009
Ozus' World Movie Reviews

Audience Reviews for Mr. and Mrs. North

An acceptable little confection I watched mostly to see Gracie Allen work solo. I'm not sure why George Burns didn't play her husband in this; the new guy was no better than Burns would have been, probably a bit worse. I've often suspected that a little Gracie Allen went a long way, and I don't feel any differently now. Still, though, there are certain characters that I have often thought must be fun for writers to write for. My personal favorite nowadays is Gene in "Bob's Burgers" (which everyone ought to be watching). The kind of characters who are so far out there, it's terrific fun exploring where their bent minds will go next. Gracie Allen's persona must have been such a character. She was well-defined and always had an interior logic, but as a writer, you could really take her anywhere your mind fancied. As I often find in watching these old movies, there was a little ancillary character trait that I find revealing and pretty awful. In Mr. and Mrs. North, there is a "confirmed bachelor" character named Stuart Blanton about whom the loutish Detective Mullins feels perfectly free to make the most repulsive homophobic gestures behind his back. I found this so odd. Here is a movie from the heart of the Production Code-era making overt, unambiguous references to homosexuality. The fact that the detective's gestures were grotesque and sexist doesn't surprise me. I've just never seen such behavior so bluntly expressed in a film from this era.

Gracie steps away from George momentarily but is as daffy as ever. She bulldozes her way through this breezy mystery befuddling all in her wake.

jay nixon
jay nixon

good comedy about a park avenue couple too bad wasn't played by real life couple burns & allen only allen.

Gregory Wood
Gregory Wood

Mr. and Mrs. North Quotes

There are no approved quotes yet for this movie.

Discussion Forum

Discuss Mr. and Mrs. North on our Movie forum!

News & Features