Mr. Holland's Opus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mr. Holland's Opus Reviews

August 16, 2016
Such a great movie! Great acting , and very good story telling.
½ August 9, 2016
Drama about a music teacher and his problems at home. It's a nice attempt but the drama seems forced.
½ April 26, 2016
A touching and beautiful piece of genuinely well-directed storytelling with an outstanding performance by Richard Dreyfuss.
April 20, 2016
Good feel-good film!
October 31, 2015
What a brilliant film. Simply beautiful. Simply amazing. It didn't really have a plot, rather it was more like a fictional biopic about a music teacher who struggled to become a composer but never had the time or money to pursue the career, eventually his teaching career would get derailed about 30 years after it started due to budget cuts, that were starting to become an issue in the '80s.

The film is so well done, and it centers around his one and only child who was deaf and his struggles with his father for understanding music. A few battles with the school system ensue, the film is a beautiful 2 and a half hours that never feels dragged on and and intelligently goes through each decade of Mr. Holland's career starting in the '60s and ending at the age of 60 being forced into retirement during the year of the film, 1995.
August 11, 2015
A truly great and inspirational film.
August 8, 2015
I very much liked mr hollands opus Richard Dreyfuss was very good in it and was one of the best films from 1995
½ July 28, 2015
"Mr. Holland's Opus" is moving as both a coming-of-age piece, and an overall genuine slice of life that in its own right is a symphony of cinematic excellence.
½ June 20, 2015
Such a touching tribute to those in music education, and a powerful statement on the importance of teaching the arts to children, the film is not without its flaws, but it is made all the more powerful by them.
½ April 24, 2015
The last real well done starring vehicle that Dreyfuss has driven since '95.The movies is sweet,touching and well acted without being overly melodramatic.
½ March 30, 2015
Oh, I used to like this kind of inspirational films so much.
March 29, 2015
I really enjoyed the acting and story line. Some parts dragged on, but was a very heartwarming movie.
March 2, 2015
Heartfelt tale about leaving your mark in the world. One of my favorite 90s movies. Mr. Holland is the type of inspiring teacher that we all wish we had in school. He is not perfect, since his composing and teaching career takes precedence over his own family. Have tissues ready.
February 23, 2015
his is one of those movies that teachers and parents love because it reinforces the rewards of efforts in education, and acknowledges that teachers work more than 8 months a year. Like Goodbye Mr. Chips, this movie is meant to be an emotional reflection on how the efforts of one can inspire many for greatness or just goodness. Dead Poets Society was on the same path with it's lessons in literature (until shit got dark), but music is a more transferrable medium than English. Music is ingrained in the human soul as a means of expression, it's the power of poetry without all those damn words. Whether it's classic, soul, hip-hop or house music, there's an innate human need for jamz.
Throughout there are plenty of cheesy moments played up to make us cry, but Richard Dreyfuss (at his best here) sells it all so well that the moments work. Sure some teenagers look a little old (including Terrence Howard), the vice principal (William H. Macy) is a straw-man asshole, and there's the bitter irony of a music teacher's son being deaf, but you can't help but be moved when Dreyfuss signs & sings John Lennon's"Beautiful Boy" to his son in concert. I think there is a value to a maudlin film where a man doesn't get the life he wanted, but still ends up happy. It can feel forced but the sentiment is still very reassuring.
February 13, 2015
There's something about this movie that draws me back time and time. I guess the story of a guy who didn't think he made that much of a difference, yet touched the lives of so many, through his dedication as a teacher, strikes a chord with me somehow.

And the performance of Richard Dreyfuss in this movie is nothing short of amazing. How he didn;t get an Oscar for this is beyond me.
½ January 25, 2015
I hated this movie with a passion. Whiny jerk is butthurt that he is a hack, so he becomes a giant douche of a teacher.
½ January 22, 2015
Mr. Holland's Opus is a touching, enjoyable, and unforgettable treat for anyone who has been connected to any kind of music. This is one of the better movies I've seen in some time.
½ January 8, 2015
A very touching and inspirational film catered by a nice performance from the underrated Dreyfuss. It's the story of a musician with a deaf son who realizes his calling is teaching students.
There are moments in the movie that stick with you and the great movies have those. For instance during the parade scene when he realizes his son isn't hearing the noise....that stuck with me.

The movie has an interesting predicament. The musician/teacher relies on people hearing his work and the closest person to him being his son can't hear....It's intersting...

Good overly sentimental film.
December 31, 2014
It's a good movie though it runs a little too long and has several good stopping points that it doesn't use. Dreyfus gives a great performance but it is Headly that stands out.
½ October 24, 2014
Coach Meister (Jay Thomas): "I wanna have kids some day."
Mr. Holland (Richard Dreyfuss): "You ought to find a wife first."
Coach Meister (Jay Thomas): "I don't want kids that badly."

I remembered there was so much press surrounding this film when it first came out, and I have to admit, rightfully so because this was excellent. The cast was simply amazing, and they had some heavy-weights in this film too: Richard Dreyfuss, in the title role of Mr. Holland, who has made a career out of being a wonderful actor was no less perfect as Mr. Holland. Then, of course there is Olympia Dukakis ( Principal Jacobs) who was equally as brilliant and the ever talented William H. Macy (Vice Principal Wolters). Even the supporting cast did an awesome job: Jay Thomas as Coach Meister was absolutely hilarious, adding just the right touch of humor in the film and the standout performance in the whole film (IMHO) was given by the ethereal Jean Louisa Kelly, who played the talented songbird Rowena Morgan. The story was simple and touching; no explosions or twisted conspiracy plots, just a story about one of the most underappreciated professions in the entire world, a teacher. What's more impressive in this film was the way they aged Mr. Holland, using the tried-and-true method of make-up artistry and prosthetics since I think this film was pre-CGI. It was truly impressive work for the time. Overall, the story was beautiful and characters were lovable; it definitely the epitome example of giving thanks to an otherwise, often overlooked position and person. Brilliant!!!