Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium Reviews

August 10, 2017
A 243 year old man, a young kid that doesn't have the best social skills, an awkward cynical accountant and a talented young woman that feels stuck in her life. Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium, doesn't seem like it should work, but it does. Zach Helm creates an example for viewers to realize the happiness in death, and how to rejoice in a moment of sadness. With easily lovable characters, this film doesn't disappoint.
The film is based around a magic toy store found in the big city of Manhattan. Owned by the avid shoe wearer, Mr. Edward Magorium (Dustin Hoffman), and managed by the lovable Molly Mahoney (Natalie Portman), this emporium is the stuff dreams are made of. There are sock monkeys that hug you back, a door that with a turn of a wheel opens on different rooms filled with fun, walking dinosaur skeletons, paper airplanes that fly as if propelled by fuel and miniature pilots. The chemistry between Portman and Hoffman builds a father-daughter relationship that is easily relatable for an audience. It carries the film, and helps develop the story in a correct direction. The two friends are joined by another character, Eric (Zach Mills), the hat collector who is a young boy that is more likely to be found talking to animals than humans. He spends a good amount of his time at the toy store living in a world of magic. Harry (Jason Bateman) is an accountant (or mutant as Edward prefers) that is hired by Mr. Magorium to complete finances. He arrives and is immune to the magic of the store, missing the magic of the toy store and the relationships around him. Bateman adds an element of juxtaposition to the film the keeps you interested.
Molly is confused when Mr. Magorium welcomes Harry into the store to assist in getting all legalities under control before his "departure". She is concerned with this, considering she doesn't like the new accountant. Mr. Magorium informs Molly that he will be leaving soon, and when she asks where he is going, he tells her that after 243 years it's time to die and that he is leaving her his legacy. She doesn't quite understand what is happening, but she knows she doesn't like it. She was once a music prodigy when she was younger, being far more talented than any other young girl. People were convinced she would go far, however, she is still in the same place performing only for herself as she tries to finish her own song. From here, there are flying magic boxes, dancing on bubble wrap, glow stars in hospital beds, and much more magic. Molly finds herself on a journey to believe in herself, to find her "sparkle", to find her own magic. Portman is the star of this movie, she makes you love her, all the while you are learning valuable life lessons right along with her.
If there was to be one thing that doesn't appeal to all in the audience, it would be the idea that one day Mr. Magorium just "dies". Just as those in the film cannot enjoy the store if they don't believe, those in the audience will not appreciate this charming film if they too do not allow the themselves to see through a child's eyes; to see with their imagination.
"Your life is an occasion, rise to it." This is said by Mr. Magorium when he is explaining how his departure should be one of rejoice, not sadness. "I am not asking you to be happy that I must go. I'm only asking that you turn the page, continue reading... and let the next story begin. And if anyone asks what became of me, you relate my life in all its wonder, and end it with a simple and modest "He died."
Magical moments fill the screen as you watch this film and woven into the words and the relationships is simplicity and truth, the kind that uncovers the real magic in life. Mr. Magorium and Molly remind us that magic is there, you must only be open to it.
August 1, 2017
The thing about Mr. Magorium's wonder emporium is that it is not just a amazing children's movie, it's an amazing movie for all ages. It has a simple yet powerful message that goes deeper and touches your heart, but only if you let it. This movie is magical but you have to believe in it. This film may be ridiculous, nonsensical and cheesy but that's part of its charm. Mr. Magorium's wonder emporium has genuine heart and genuine characters, which is something I think more and more movies struggle to capture. It is completely original. It talks about life and death in a tasteful and many times beautiful way. It is well written and manages to balance a story that as I said earlier is just meaningful to adults as it is children. In some ways it may even resonate more with older viewers. Something children's movies are often guilty of is talking down to it's audience. Movies continue to underestimate children, believing that it is better to over simplify concepts or just choose to be meaningless eyecandy with no real substance. This film is both visually stunning and not guilty of underestimating a child's ability to enjoy a meaningful story. To top it all off there is superb acting acting, and strong character development. This movie carries itself with grace and humor. It will make you laugh, it will make you cry, it will make you gasp with awe. The score is one of my favorites, carrying every emotion in the movie perfectly. It takes my breath away every time I watch it. So sit down with a friend or child or just by yourself and let yourself enjoy the whimsical adventure that is Mr.Magorium's wonder emporium. You may learn a thing or two. If anything it will make you feel something. There is so much more I would like to say and i could continue to sing praises for another twenty pages or so but I can't. I want people to enjoy this movie in all it's enchanting little moments.
July 29, 2017
Eh, it's not bad it's just eh
June 3, 2017
It makes me smile everytime you can just sense the childlike joy through watching it. It's truly a classic that needs more credit.
½ April 30, 2017
In full honesty, I have always loved this movie and I continue to. With a fabulous cast and a simplistic story, this film brings both joy and intrigue whenever I watch it. I LOVE THIS! I highly advise you watch this and have your own opinion on whether you like this.
March 12, 2017
Off-beat and joyously young-spirited, Mr. Magorium's features the stoic performance of Jason Bateman and surprising lead from Zach Mills to create a youthful, entertaining flick.
January 29, 2017
Visually stunning and a wonderfully delightful story suitable for all the family. Hoffman is sublime as always with a fine supporting cast Natalie Portman and Jason Bateman give subzero performances and Zach Mills shows his talent at a young age as 9 year old Eric.
January 11, 2017
Beautiful and amazing movie I really loved it
December 23, 2016
Great fun movie starring Dustin Hoffman and Natalie Portman. Their are a lot of fun moments in this movie, a like the idea of a magical toy store and is a child's dream to go there. But on the other hand their are some sad moments like when Mr magorium says he's leaving and when he dies, the emotion in my eyes and all the characters in this movie. Now for the bad, this movie gets slow at some points and is cheesy, like the part when the one kid touches or accidentally moves the big dodgeball or the animation of the toys moving but besides that Dustin Hoffman s character is entertaining and Natalie Portman s character does the magic thing with her hands and turns the store back where it belongs.
December 21, 2016
Love this movie and the story behind it
½ November 27, 2016
I wanted to like this one, it has an excellent cast including Dustin Hoffman and Natalie Portman, but it just didn't work for me. It is supposed to be a fun an magical film about finding your inner-child, but it just didn't feel sincere which really kills the spell these kind of films are supposed to evoke. I found the Tim Allen film "The Santa Clause" to be an example where it works, or also "Elf". In any case, skip this one.
September 2, 2016
movie was magical, touching, and one that i would own....who cares what the critics say, movie was onderful, rate 4 of 5
August 23, 2016
Mr. Edward Magorium: [to Molly, about dying] When King Lear dies in Act V, do you know what Shakespeare has written? He's written "He dies." That's all, nothing more. No fanfare, no metaphor, no brilliant final words. The culmination of the most influential work of dramatic literature is "He dies." It takes Shakespeare, a genius, to come up with "He dies." And yet every time I read those two words, I find myself overwhelmed with dysphoria. And I know it's only natural to be sad, but not because of the words "He dies." but because of the life we saw prior to the words.
I've lived all five of my acts, Mahoney, and I am not asking you to be happy that I must go. I'm only asking that you turn the page, continue reading... and let the next story begin. And if anyone asks what became of me, you relate my life in all its wonder, and end it with a simple and modest "He died."

This film tried so very desperately to recapture the true meaning of the word "magic".....but alas not everything can be Harry Potter. I wondered if it was because I'm a bit more cynical and perhaps that's the reason I didn't appreciate the effort the film made; but in all honesty, why would it need that much effort- it either is, or isn't. Unfortunately, it wasn't. The whole film came across as disingenuous and overly sappy. Dustin Hoffman (Mr. Magorium) and Natalie Portman (Maggie Mahoney), albeit a pair of the most gifted actors in our lifetime, gave rather phony, wooden performances. Jason Bateman (Henry Weston, a.k.a. "Mutant") and Zac Mills (Eric Applebaum) had the most endearing story arc, far more charming than Mr. Magorium and Maggie's. Although, there was one honest moment in the film which felt real- and that was Mr. Magorium's speech about King Lear- that was actually moving. Overall, this movie didn't have the gravitas it could have, especially having the talented cast it did....it was a bit disappointing actually.
½ July 24, 2016
I cry every time I watch this but its worth it. Love this movie and its message. Perfect for those who are kids at heart.
July 14, 2016
Visuals wise, it's a fantastic movie. But the story execution could use a bit a help. Even Natalie Portman couldn't help this movie much.
June 17, 2016
A profound film about magic, wonder, life, and death.
May 16, 2016
This movie was just alright. There really wasn't much to the story. Maybe sometimes I expect too much from movies like this. I just was expecting a bit more I guess....
April 2, 2016
With the strong casting and intermittent flashes of real inspiration perhaps the biggest disappointment with the Emporium is that it never quite delivers on its inherent promise. While the magic of the eponymous store is simply a given, the reason for the characters to act the way they do needs to be explained further, otherwise their journey is meaningless. Still, this is worth seeing, particularly if you enjoy the Disney films of yesteryear.
½ March 22, 2016
Toda la magia e imaginación se pierde en una trama mediocre y sosa.