Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium Reviews

September 2, 2016
movie was magical, touching, and one that i would own....who cares what the critics say, movie was onderful, rate 4 of 5
August 23, 2016
Mr. Edward Magorium: [to Molly, about dying] When King Lear dies in Act V, do you know what Shakespeare has written? He's written "He dies." That's all, nothing more. No fanfare, no metaphor, no brilliant final words. The culmination of the most influential work of dramatic literature is "He dies." It takes Shakespeare, a genius, to come up with "He dies." And yet every time I read those two words, I find myself overwhelmed with dysphoria. And I know it's only natural to be sad, but not because of the words "He dies." but because of the life we saw prior to the words.
I've lived all five of my acts, Mahoney, and I am not asking you to be happy that I must go. I'm only asking that you turn the page, continue reading... and let the next story begin. And if anyone asks what became of me, you relate my life in all its wonder, and end it with a simple and modest "He died."

This film tried so very desperately to recapture the true meaning of the word "magic".....but alas not everything can be Harry Potter. I wondered if it was because I'm a bit more cynical and perhaps that's the reason I didn't appreciate the effort the film made; but in all honesty, why would it need that much effort- it either is, or isn't. Unfortunately, it wasn't. The whole film came across as disingenuous and overly sappy. Dustin Hoffman (Mr. Magorium) and Natalie Portman (Maggie Mahoney), albeit a pair of the most gifted actors in our lifetime, gave rather phony, wooden performances. Jason Bateman (Henry Weston, a.k.a. "Mutant") and Zac Mills (Eric Applebaum) had the most endearing story arc, far more charming than Mr. Magorium and Maggie's. Although, there was one honest moment in the film which felt real- and that was Mr. Magorium's speech about King Lear- that was actually moving. Overall, this movie didn't have the gravitas it could have, especially having the talented cast it was a bit disappointing actually.
½ July 24, 2016
I cry every time I watch this but its worth it. Love this movie and its message. Perfect for those who are kids at heart.
July 14, 2016
Visuals wise, it's a fantastic movie. But the story execution could use a bit a help. Even Natalie Portman couldn't help this movie much.
June 17, 2016
A profound film about magic, wonder, life, and death.
May 16, 2016
This movie was just alright. There really wasn't much to the story. Maybe sometimes I expect too much from movies like this. I just was expecting a bit more I guess....
½ April 25, 2016
Off-beat and joyously young-spirited, Mr. Magorium's features the stoic performance of Jason Bateman and surprising lead from Zach Mills to create a youthful, entertaining flick.
April 2, 2016
With the strong casting and intermittent flashes of real inspiration perhaps the biggest disappointment with the Emporium is that it never quite delivers on its inherent promise. While the magic of the eponymous store is simply a given, the reason for the characters to act the way they do needs to be explained further, otherwise their journey is meaningless. Still, this is worth seeing, particularly if you enjoy the Disney films of yesteryear.
½ March 22, 2016
Toda la magia e imaginación se pierde en una trama mediocre y sosa.
½ February 4, 2016
If I ever have to change my identity and move to a secret lodge in New Hampshire...I feel like I would make sure to have 2 copies of this movie.
January 14, 2016
loved this movie. wish that they made another one.
½ January 10, 2016
The selection in this emporium is absolutely dog shit
December 29, 2015
IF I could give a higher rating, I would. Why? because I believe it shows us that we MUST always embrace a childhood spirit. As adults, we forget to just be plain silly sometimes wrapped up in our busy lives. The fairy tale style movie still communicates, for me, a very important message.
Dustin Hoffman is brilliant, as always, portraying a free spirited, magical toy store owner. I loved every actor and actress in this film, I loved the story, the lesson of death, of life and childhood spirit. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
December 12, 2015
This is one of the greatest films of all time.
December 12, 2015
A nice film to watch with family, maybe the people who didn't like it didn't see the magic !!
½ October 31, 2015
Enjoyable family/kids movie.
I love the quote: "Your life is an occasion. Rise to it."
October 23, 2015
A true ball of magical cheese, complete with crummy special effects, vomit-inducing whimsy and yet an adorable charm. It is difficult to despise such an adorably innocent film. In the end, it is quite predictable and very juvenile in it's delivery but the star-studded cast did help with the enjoyment of the film. Ultimately, it's just a bit too fruity for my taste.
½ September 12, 2015
Why is Dustin Hoffman in this movie???
August 21, 2015
I'm afraid this films script vastly let it down. Dustin Hoffman can be a very amusing guy, but this movie is dull rather than entertaining. Maybe good for kids, but it really starts to fall apart. Granted, some memorable lines and scenes, but it's all wound up in a mess of bad script and overall bad direction.