Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium Reviews

January 11, 2017
Beautiful and amazing movie I really loved it
December 23, 2016
Great fun movie starring Dustin Hoffman and Natalie Portman. Their are a lot of fun moments in this movie, a like the idea of a magical toy store and is a child's dream to go there. But on the other hand their are some sad moments like when Mr magorium says he's leaving and when he dies, the emotion in my eyes and all the characters in this movie. Now for the bad, this movie gets slow at some points and is cheesy, like the part when the one kid touches or accidentally moves the big dodgeball or the animation of the toys moving but besides that Dustin Hoffman s character is entertaining and Natalie Portman s character does the magic thing with her hands and turns the store back where it belongs.
December 21, 2016
Love this movie and the story behind it
½ November 27, 2016
I wanted to like this one, it has an excellent cast including Dustin Hoffman and Natalie Portman, but it just didn't work for me. It is supposed to be a fun an magical film about finding your inner-child, but it just didn't feel sincere which really kills the spell these kind of films are supposed to evoke. I found the Tim Allen film "The Santa Clause" to be an example where it works, or also "Elf". In any case, skip this one.
September 2, 2016
movie was magical, touching, and one that i would own....who cares what the critics say, movie was onderful, rate 4 of 5
August 23, 2016
Mr. Edward Magorium: [to Molly, about dying] When King Lear dies in Act V, do you know what Shakespeare has written? He's written "He dies." That's all, nothing more. No fanfare, no metaphor, no brilliant final words. The culmination of the most influential work of dramatic literature is "He dies." It takes Shakespeare, a genius, to come up with "He dies." And yet every time I read those two words, I find myself overwhelmed with dysphoria. And I know it's only natural to be sad, but not because of the words "He dies." but because of the life we saw prior to the words.
I've lived all five of my acts, Mahoney, and I am not asking you to be happy that I must go. I'm only asking that you turn the page, continue reading... and let the next story begin. And if anyone asks what became of me, you relate my life in all its wonder, and end it with a simple and modest "He died."

This film tried so very desperately to recapture the true meaning of the word "magic".....but alas not everything can be Harry Potter. I wondered if it was because I'm a bit more cynical and perhaps that's the reason I didn't appreciate the effort the film made; but in all honesty, why would it need that much effort- it either is, or isn't. Unfortunately, it wasn't. The whole film came across as disingenuous and overly sappy. Dustin Hoffman (Mr. Magorium) and Natalie Portman (Maggie Mahoney), albeit a pair of the most gifted actors in our lifetime, gave rather phony, wooden performances. Jason Bateman (Henry Weston, a.k.a. "Mutant") and Zac Mills (Eric Applebaum) had the most endearing story arc, far more charming than Mr. Magorium and Maggie's. Although, there was one honest moment in the film which felt real- and that was Mr. Magorium's speech about King Lear- that was actually moving. Overall, this movie didn't have the gravitas it could have, especially having the talented cast it did....it was a bit disappointing actually.
½ July 24, 2016
I cry every time I watch this but its worth it. Love this movie and its message. Perfect for those who are kids at heart.
July 14, 2016
Visuals wise, it's a fantastic movie. But the story execution could use a bit a help. Even Natalie Portman couldn't help this movie much.
June 17, 2016
A profound film about magic, wonder, life, and death.
May 16, 2016
This movie was just alright. There really wasn't much to the story. Maybe sometimes I expect too much from movies like this. I just was expecting a bit more I guess....
½ April 25, 2016
Off-beat and joyously young-spirited, Mr. Magorium's features the stoic performance of Jason Bateman and surprising lead from Zach Mills to create a youthful, entertaining flick.
April 2, 2016
With the strong casting and intermittent flashes of real inspiration perhaps the biggest disappointment with the Emporium is that it never quite delivers on its inherent promise. While the magic of the eponymous store is simply a given, the reason for the characters to act the way they do needs to be explained further, otherwise their journey is meaningless. Still, this is worth seeing, particularly if you enjoy the Disney films of yesteryear.
½ March 22, 2016
Toda la magia e imaginación se pierde en una trama mediocre y sosa.
½ February 4, 2016
If I ever have to change my identity and move to a secret lodge in New Hampshire...I feel like I would make sure to have 2 copies of this movie.
January 14, 2016
loved this movie. wish that they made another one.
½ January 10, 2016
The selection in this emporium is absolutely dog shit
December 29, 2015
IF I could give a higher rating, I would. Why? because I believe it shows us that we MUST always embrace a childhood spirit. As adults, we forget to just be plain silly sometimes wrapped up in our busy lives. The fairy tale style movie still communicates, for me, a very important message.
Dustin Hoffman is brilliant, as always, portraying a free spirited, magical toy store owner. I loved every actor and actress in this film, I loved the story, the lesson of death, of life and childhood spirit. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
December 12, 2015
This is one of the greatest films of all time.
December 12, 2015
A nice film to watch with family, maybe the people who didn't like it didn't see the magic !!