Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid Reviews

½ September 6, 2015
another fish out of water tail
April 19, 2015
In August of 1948 the Yanks released their own fantasy about a man (who's seeing a doctor) catching a mermaid. Many of the jokes and plot elements used in the Brit movie, "Miranda", manage to show up in this American production (quelle surprise!) yet the pace is slower, the production matter-of-fact, the overall aim different (and even sleazy at times!), resulting in a piece with less charisma. Powell gives his all, but Blyth steals the effort entirely with no lines whatsoever and she is the reason to watch this.
½ February 3, 2015
Dull and disappointing from what you may expect from its title.
January 14, 2014
A delight tale from start to finish. Add this wonderful Hollywood classic to your collection.
neffielee
½ September 4, 2011
In this midlife crisis fantasy film, William Powell plays a married man turning 50, falling in love with a much younger woman. Nothing new here, except for the fact she's a mermaid. What could have been a comedy along the lines of Incredible Mr. Limpet, this film failed to come anywhere close. Even the great Powell seemed to be bored, as he lacks his usual charm and energy. I had such high expectations for this film.
August 31, 2011
I guess cos I'vbe seen them first this reminded me of an early "splash" or "the increadable mr limpet" in this comedic fantasy.
½ February 26, 2011
Is it just me or does anyone else find the prospect over late middle aged William Powell pursuing an innocent your mermaid rather disturbing ? I watched the movie and expected some sort of screwball comedy about a man trying to hide a mermaid, dodging therapists and his wife etc., but all I got was a man sexually obsessed with a young and innocent girl and forcing her into kissing him etc. It may sound like a great and serious character study but believe me, it was supposed to be a comedy and comes out totally wrong. No wonder that is is hard to find a DVD of this one, it is utterly disturbing and not funny in the least, I did not chuckle once nor was I amused or entertained. Stay away from this mess of a film, especially if you are irritated by old rapists.
½ January 4, 2011
A man hitting 50 may have just gone around the bend in this frothy little comedy from 1948. When he and his wife decide to take a trip to the Caribbean, their marriage seems to be on the rocks. As she is wooed by a dashing young military man, and believes he has fallen for a sexy and very forward swimming champ. But, while he has fallen in love, it isn't with the brash, perhaps wanton athlete, but with the sweetness and innocence of a certain mythological sea creature. Or, has he simply cracked up? William Powell is spot on as the good natured, if a bit distracted lead, and the rest of the cast handles the material quite well, especially the delightful scoundrel Clinton Sundberg. Well worth taking the time to check out.
jjnxn
½ December 16, 2010
Minor bit of fluff beneath William Powell's talents.