Mr. Roosevelt - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mr. Roosevelt Reviews

½ May 15, 2019
Sadly, lack of talent is not enough!!!!
½ February 10, 2019
This movie was painful,even the story line is thin. You need to get past the contrived to make a mark in the world of Independent Films.
½ December 29, 2018
Famous writer Thomas Wolfe said, "You can never go home again. " The chief figure in this movie is a young woman who has been chasing success in Los Angeles. She had been trying to bolster her career, but must now return home for a family emergency. Upon arrival to her old home she discovers very big changes have happened. Things are very different.
½ July 6, 2018
I really liked this movie. I thought all the leads did well and the movie was well done. I liked how the ridiculous (living with the ex, fountain swimming party, the dinner clothes, the wake etc) was interwoven with very real feelings and emotional conflict. I also laughed out loud at times, so that's great too. It's not a laugh out loud all the way through film, but it does what it sets out to do. Pour a glass of wine and enjoy. Well done.
½ July 1, 2018
As hyperactive as this film is, it's simply doesn't have enough real laughs.
May 28, 2018
Strengths: If you've seen Master of None, then you know how good Noel Wells (Emily Martin) is. Here, she wears three hats, as a writer, director, and lead actress. And yes, she wears them all well. As a director, it's a promising start for her career in that role. The acting is just as on point as it was in Master of None. The writing is sharp, witty, and never tries too hard. It's insightful without going over the top. Britt Lower (Celeste) is fantastic as Emily's ex's new girlfriend. She plays the character well, knowing to toe the line between someone with a big heart and someone who can come across as absurd. She's part of what makes the writing work so well. It's interesting to see something that a lot of people take for granted, the death of a pet, and turn it into a life changing experience.

Weaknesses: As strong as the two female leads are, the male is kind of just there. Nick Thune (Eric Kline) doesn't do anything to stick out from the rest of the pack. For a comedy, this isn't one of the funniest films around. There are very few moments that make you laugh. While the script is good, it does feel like it tries too hard on some of the jokes. I understand a lead being a flawed character, but Emily comes across as totally unlikable at several points throughout the film, making it hard to root for her.

Overall: While I don't think it should be at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, this is a good movie. It certainly has its flaws, but it still manages to have enough wit and charm to make it an enjoyable watch.
April 3, 2018
Fabulous, well-made, insightful movie about young adults.
March 19, 2018
I have watched this film many times since it's release.I already cite it as a favourite.The characters are awesome and the story is very sweet.Highly recommended.
½ January 31, 2018
Wells is a talent as a storyteller and as a director with a nice visual touch, and as a screen presence.
½ January 17, 2018
Writer pulled a couple scenes straight of bridesmaids, less successfully. The thing about this movie is it would be good if it didn't seem like the writer was trying so hard to make us like it. I was annoyed by the protagonist almost immediately. What I think is supposed to be a coming of age tale just came across like impetulant tantrums of an unmedicated case of adhd. Am I supposed to feel bad that her life is a train wreck when she is completely self centered, sleeps with 2 guys and tried to seduce her ex in the course of a week, and is sad that her replacement has bonded with the cat she abandoned? I would have turned it off in first 15 min but was working and really just needed background noise anyway. The only part of this movie that made me go, "yessss, I get that on so many levels" was the fake brunch scene. Supporting cast was all really talented especially Daniel pineda. Would have been better as a series of sketches maybe...not enough weight as a movie.
January 7, 2018
Saw this at SXSW and loved it!
January 6, 2018
Mr. Roosevelt lacked the charm and wit of quirky comedy. The lead character's snark and exaggerated facial expressions were weirdly paired with physical comedy that left me as cold as Mr. Roosevelt's ashes. RIP Mr. Roosevelt (this movie could use an eternal rest).
January 5, 2018
Yeah uh, sorry but you are kind of a bad person.

Honestly I'm just so sick of the selfish dickwad anti-hero miserable comedian trope. And yet somehow this breaks through that to have a little more heart and a little more relatable content. Seeing an ex thrive after a questionable break up. Doubting yourself as you march full steam towards your dreams. Feeling like you don't belong anywhere. The death of a pet. All relatable. I only wish they could have focused more on those themes instead of how selfish Emily is.

Jen was fun at least. And hats off to Noel Wells for a promising filmmaking debut. Hopefully next time she can be
½ January 5, 2018
This is far and away the most myopic film I've seen in years. Typical approach for a witty, coming of age comedy, that tries desperately to intrigue a generation of 30-somethings with its tired dialogue (because we've seen this same movie a million times before!!), but falls short due to the astonishingly lack of meaningful character development and terrible acting that feels like it came out of a high school drama project. Stay away. Don't waste your time. If you do, my apologies in advance.
½ January 3, 2018
how did this get 100% tomato? script was weak, few funny or poignant moments, was waiting for it to get better, based on the 100% rating. it never did. I mean, it's cute and fine if it is her debut attempt at something, but should not be 100% on rotten tomatoes. I would say 55%.i was bored quite often.
January 2, 2018
Mr. Roosevelt is a very bad movie with a cool poster. The fact that it has 100% favorable reviews feels like a sick joke, or like I am dreaming, or like we are living in the future, where all the movies are bad, and all the movies have 100% favorable reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.
December 30, 2017
There is something genuinely intriguing about NoŽl Wells debut as a writer and director in a feature film. 'Mr. Roosevelt' takes a seemingly minor moment (death of a cat) and turns it into a life changing experience. Wells, who also stars, shows moments of brilliance, despite the lack of source material. This would have been an Oscar worthy short, but even stretched to 90 minutes it has enough moments to make it more than watchable. Comedies these days come in many forms, but this is more a chuckle 'Yea, that's happened to me', than a LOL comedy. Wells captures the way millennials look at the world in a subtle, yet adept way. She has a point of view and bravely puts it on display. In one of the best directorial debuts in recent memory. It takes courage to grow up and become an adult.
You can't help but marvel at the selection of the supporting players who all have lived-in chemistry with Wells. While not for everyone this will be a hit with the under 40 crowd, especially woman. I can't wait for Wells next feature! Final Score: 8.2/10
December 27, 2017
might be greatest movie in the history of movies but couldn't get through first 15 mins... the intro had to be 5 mins of boring... anyways I will never trust Rotten Tomatoes rating... a 100! wow absolutely not... maybe a 23?
November 13, 2017
Through "Mr. Roosevelt," NoŽl Wells ("Master of None," "Saturday Night Live," "Infinity Baby") proves herself, not as master of one-liners or gimmicks, rather one of constructing scenarios that lead to satisfyingly humorous conclusions and heartfelt laughs. In her directorial debut, Wells shows us that she's a professional at singling out life's insecurities and anxieties and making them unabashedly relatable. Though the film has its downfalls, like mediocre acting at times and occasionally a touch of poor direction, "Mr. Roosevelt" is too sincere and too witty to pass up. It captures the absolute awkwardness of everyday life by means of relatable situations wrapped in charisma and charm. We're looking forward to what Wells has in store for the future.
April 15, 2017
I didn't expect much out of Mr. Roosevelt but the film was a pleasant surprise. The plot doesn't really offer a whole lot new but what makes the film enjoyable are the performances and writing.Noel Wells is great in this film and she has a gift for comedy. The writing is also very well done. With a nice twist involving the cat. The story is what you'd expect it to be but it's definitely a fun romantic comedy and worth seeing.