Mr. Saturday Night - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mr. Saturday Night Reviews

½ May 30, 2010
Depressing. See what I did there? I made you think it wasn't a good movie when it was. Funny, touching and yes, depressing.
March 11, 2010
Quick witted and well-formed fictional life story of a Jewish comic. Its strength lies in the fact that it does feel like a biography, and the script is clever as wel, although the generational make-up hasn't stood the test of time.
February 7, 2010
It's practically an excuse for Billy Crystal to deliver his schtick, but it features some good performances (particularly David Paymer) and some decent production values. It's a shame it becomes bogged down in self-indulgence and sentiment at the end.
October 4, 2009
This is one of my all time favourite films and it does this by being funny, organic, potent, tragic in ways that I've seen no other movie handle. At times its painfully funny and at times beautiful and others tragic that is lead by the robbed David Paymer as Buddy Young Jr's (Billy Crystal) brother Stan. For me this film is on Billy Crystal's shoulders who is never better and shines in every scene. However for me this is as much David Paymers film who we watch be treated in ways only a brother could emotional blackmail and rob a brother of. I don't usually like films that have a bigger chunk of the narrative devoted to the male performers but this is a true masterpiece.
September 13, 2009
I love this movie for Billy Crystal's comedic and dramatic genius. It is terrific, funny, sad and engaging.
½ August 29, 2009
Billy Crystall's feature directorial debut is an unfocused misfire: As an actor, he's too likable to play the egotistical comedian who torments everyone around him for the sake of his career.
June 2, 2009
Tonight, I felt like getting in touch with my Jewish Borscht Belt roots and decided to check out a totally overlooked film from 1992: MR. SATURDAY NIGHT. Billy Crystal wrote and directed this film and, surprisingly, created a subtle and touching character study of a schlocky Catskills comedian who kills not only audiences but also his family, his respect, and his career. Crystal chronicles his spectacular rise and slow, sludgy sink to the very bottom.

Yes, you've seen this story before. Thousands and thousands of times. Yet what makes this unique are the deeply felt performances from both the movie's God: Crystal and, especially, my own God: David Paymer. Both actors do the best work of their careers in this film. Paymer is an absolute revelation, creating a closed-off individual who can only begin to express the burning passion firing up within him. Never in my wildest dreams did I think he would top his incredible work in the movie CARPOOL.

Crystal adds new dimensions to his standard public image as a wisecracking comedian. To this guy, everything is a wisecrack. His mind runs only in cheesy jokes. His brain constantly flaps his jaw, spewing out one-liners to everyone he meets and to everyone he loves. This is perhaps the one time I can say that a performance is like a never-ending comedy routine told by a giant pair of lips...and consider it a compliment.

The film also gets points for scoring the sadly departed genius that was Jerry Orbach for one scene.

Great, underrated film.
October 22, 2008
Mr. Saturday Night is enjoyable enough for the fairly frequent laugh-out-loud quips ( and DESPITE the almost-as-frequent NOT-so-funny quips ), but the heart and emotion that Crystal tries to create with the characters inside this very simple story come off rather stale and generic more often than not. While not a complete toss-away, Mr. Saturday Night possesses only just enough charm or spark to make it a step above a distraction and is not a film that warrants frequent viewings. 2 Stars.
½ October 13, 2008
Better than I thought it would be. Kind of dragged a little, but Billy Crystal was pretty good in this, and I am not a Billy Crystal fan.
October 9, 2008
"You see how I did that?"
September 20, 2008
A well-established modern classic. It seems everyone's seen it - until me, and until now. It promised a laugh-a-minute but what it delivered were a lot of tears over a lot of sittings. I'm not Jewish... I'm not a comedian (though sometimes I like to think I am) and I'm not 60 (and I'm a lot nicer, I like to think...).... but is this who I have become?
August 26, 2008
The movie is a bit cliche' at times and relied far too much on the "old makeup" for the present day characters. But the flashbacks are all great and the humor remains chuckle-worthy and classic, if a bit tired throughout. The movie almost breaks down a couple times in the movie. In the end, not a bad movie, just not a great movie either.
August 7, 2008
Good, but very long.
½ July 26, 2008
i gather you really have to like billy crystal to dig this film - i personally don't. nice cameo from woody allen
½ June 18, 2008
This film is bloody hilarious.
June 14, 2008
Funnier than expected.
June 11, 2008
Fluctuates between actually interesting and self-indulgently dull. However, a mostly interesting and mostly dramatic look at comedy and what drives people to make a career out of that craziness.The movie has a strong supporting cast, especially David Paymer as the long suffering brother/agent. Crystal gets by.
June 7, 2008
Anything related to stand up, i'll watch. Especially starring Billy Crystal. AND he directs this.
May 27, 2008
I got the money from your grandmother's pimp makes it worth watching.