Mrs. Dalloway - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mrs. Dalloway Reviews

May 16, 2016
This adaptation of Virginia Woolf's signature novel of the same name is a beautiful narrative about the titular matriarch's reflections on her choices made in her younger life one afternoon before her evening party, marred only by a peculiar subplot involving a shell-shocked soldier.
September 1, 2015
Watched the first half twice as E fell asleep the first time .... actually it's a difficult read turned into a difficult film, so a second look at the opening was a good way to get a handle on the structure and intention. It's well acted and no doubt true to the novel, which was no doubt groundbreaking in its day. It's more about message than character: and it didn't really speak to me from this time and place. The trials and tribulations of posh folk in the Twenties - nope.
½ August 31, 2014
I liked "The Hours" better, but this is a good movie. Its set in the period between WWI and WWII, and to me it seems Victorian, so realize that. Understand that it focuses on two people who don't know each other: Septimus a shell shocked veteran, and Clarissa an upper class housewife. Also understand that the movie jumps back and forth between the past and the present of Clarissa's life. If you understand that you will be understand the movie. Kind of a downer, but makes you think about what is important to people.
½ April 23, 2014
This woman over 50 found Mrs. Dalloway to be mostly a delightful film. I didn't like what the main character said about the young soldier's suicide, but Woolf's ideas on that is explained by her own end. Looking back on one's life is a good thing to do once in a while, if only for appreciation. A very well done film with Vanessa Redgrave at the height of her power as a beautiful and great older actress.
½ May 18, 2013
How to turn one of the greatest pieces of 20th century literature into a boring, stupid TV drama about boring, stupid people.
February 1, 2013
People that do not like this film concentrate on Mrs. Dalloway's party, when in fact this is a deeper socio-political message that Virginia Woolf is illustrating specially about the casualties of war that linger way after wars are over and re emerge when new ones start.
September 19, 2012
Woolf would have liked it..
August 31, 2012
Mrs. Dalloway is a attractive artful novel, where writer has expressed the mental and social conditions of her time.
July 4, 2012
Not precisely riveting but somehow I managed to finish it. The book is a bit hard to read and same with this film.
May 24, 2012
Good. An interesting adaptation. 7.
½ January 27, 2012
What did you expect from me? You know how much I love period pieces especially one that are particularly dull. Are reviewers swayed by the existence of corsets to continually rave about these pieces? Part of me thinks that is the case.
½ December 29, 2011
An overly earnest adaptation of Virginia Woolf's inventive novel, turning stream-of-consciousness into stilted dialogue and imposing interpretations where Woolf wrote open-ended ambiguity.
July 17, 2011
This is something of a terrible adaptation of one of my all-time favorite books. Redgrave is a great actress, but here she simply shuffles about the screen without much ambition. The subject matter itself is so difficult to bring to film anyway (the entire book is a thought process!), that I'm surprised they even tried. I was interested in the young Clarissa scenes. They were a lot better than the "contemporary" sections.
February 8, 2011
I guess the subtelties don't go down very well with an American audience - but I loved the film for them. It's been a while since I last read the novel, but I remember it a little less genteel and forgiving than the film version was - though that might have been just myself at the time of reading being less genteel and less forgiving. It really well conveys the multiple levels of Woolfe's work, I think. And yes, it does indeed make a perfect pairing with The Hours.
½ October 20, 2010
I think this is a nice and faithful adaptation of the novel. Vanessa Redgrave is delighful as always and the rest of the performances are fine too. The only thing I didn't like very much was the production, looks poor.
August 27, 2010
u wouldn't run to the bathroom naked!< ummm y would u do that, so i thought the 2 girls were sisters but i must be wrong, didn't finish the movie wasn't into it
½ August 23, 2010
Perfect telling of virginia wolfe. The past and present coexist. Mrs Dalloway knows that a successful party is as important as ecerything can be. Love watching this one every few years.
May 31, 2010
Good period detail, but a dull high-society flick.
½ May 23, 2010
Dull and disturbing, or just another Vanessa Redgrave production
March 19, 2010
Drama ofthe reminessence of Mrs Dalloway's life and her annual parties. A disjointed movie