Mrs. Parkington - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mrs. Parkington Reviews

½ July 20, 2015
Good classic movie. Nice story that moves fast through the lives of a family of a rich guy meets poor girl drams. Some of the characters were hard to figure out who they were such as Amory - the corrupt money-hungry guy. Or, what was Peter Lawford's role? Anyway, fun money to watch without bad language, sex, violence and vulgarity of 2015 movies.
January 13, 2014
Greer Garson aged herself for this film and was aged in terms of her own acting career. I don't think the performance was anything to write home about and I suspect her Oscar nomination was a give away to a loyal performer.
March 11, 2013
Proof that the Academy has always a reserved a certain quota of its major nominations for films for which I doubt even their makers wished profoundly to be remembered.
½ February 20, 2011
Mrs. Parkington is a fine morality tale or "woman's picture" of the 1940s. The film plays in flashback. We first meet Susie Parkington (Greer Garson) in a very large mansion and we also meet her very greedy grandchildren who are very eager for their inheritance. Susie reflects back on her times, first as a woman from rural Nevada who meets the wealthy Major Parkington (Walter Pidgeon). The Major takes an immediate fancy to Susie and after a disaster at the mine, the Major convinces Susie that the town will be dead and that she must come with him to New York and marry him, which she does. Other points in her life are chronicled as she also deals with a very pressing and disturbing matter in her current life. Well acted with terrific turns by Garson and Moorehead. Great sets!
jjnxn
½ August 19, 2010
Stately drama that's best for fans of the Garson/Pidgeon pairings. Agnes Moorehead is a pleasure in an atypical role as a chic sophisticate. Enjoyable enough but one of those pictures that really would have benefitted from being filmed in color.
½ December 25, 2009
Excellent performance by Greer Garson and by Agnes Moorehead. Lovely soap opera in a grand scale epic!!!
½ August 14, 2008
good stuff great story
February 29, 2008
i love greer garson. this was a good movie. and i discovered walter pigeon was also in forbidden planet the queer leslie nielson movie i had to watch in english cuz its based on the tempest. i like him
August 13, 2007
It sort of reminded me of Gone With the Wind...Anyhow, it was good....a flashback movie and a good message about doing the right thing and not being corrupt with money.
January 18, 2007
greer garsn is so good in this movie she does it all!