Much Ado About Nothing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Much Ado About Nothing Reviews

½ August 18, 2017
GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Scott, we just finished watching Much Ado About Nothing, Joss Whedons Shakespearean side project.

SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) I ve always wondered what a do is. Now I know.

GREG: Whedon s Much Ado is Shakespeare s classic play performed in a modern setting - but still using the Bard s own words. We re introduced to Benedick (Alexis Denisof) who is back from war. He s accompanied by friends Don Pedro (Reed Diamond) and Claudio (Fran Kranz). Claudio is quite taken with young Hero (Jillian Morgese), a fair maiden. But there is trouble afoot. Hero s cousin, Beatrice (Amy Acker) apparently has had a relationship with Benedick in the past, and she is done with men.

SCOTT: While Claudio and Hero make plans to marry, the illegimate brother, Don John (Sean Maher), bitterly plots to sabotage the relationship by making it appear that Hero has cheated on Claudio. At the wedding ceremony, Claudio exposes Hero s alleged infidelity to everyone, causing Hero to faint. Hero s family decides to make it appear that she has died, and meanwhile the truth of Don John s evil plot is exposed, causing Claudio great heartache.

GREG: Scott, I m actually a newcomer to Shakespeare. My exposure so far has been 1999 s 10 Things I Hate About You and Kenneth Brannaugh s 1993 offering of Much Ado (as well as several tutorials I viewed on Netflix a few years ago). I found the story just wonderful, even if the Shakespearean English a bit difficult to decode. In Whedon s version, a lot of the story is told both with words and with the actors portrayal of their characters. The modern setting and costumes helped to identify who the characters were and how they related to each other.

SCOTT: You re right, Greg. Neither one of us is a Shakespearean scholar, but we do appreciate the timelessness of a good story. I admire Joss Whedon s bold foray into new territory that is as different from Cabin in the Woods as a story can get. Whedon clearly demonstrates his versatility, as he pulls off a very stylish modern rendition of one of the Bard s best comedies. This wasn t easy to do, as we all know how beautiful yet dense Shakespearean English is. As you note, Whedon s excellent casting helps us along nicely, as the characters convey meaning and nuance with terrific nonverbal cues and facial expressions.

GREG: Well, you know that in my eyes Joss Whedon can do no wrong. He was the creator of such great series as Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the short-lived Firefly. Several of the members of his TV stable make appearances in Much Ado. We both enjoyed his great send-up of the horror genre in last year s Cabin In The Woods. And of course he nailed the action/adventure genre with The Avengers. There seems nothing that Joss Whedon cannot do.

SCOTT: Much Ado About Nothing is filmed in black and white, an interesting artistic choice that I applaud. It gives the comedy an edginess that I believe is warranted by the dark streaks within an otherwise light love story. For modern audiences to appreciate this film, Whedon made two brilliant casting decisions in Amy Acker as Beatrice and Alexis Denisof as Benedick. I may be going out on a limb here, but I strongly suspect that Acker and Denisof will garner Academy Award nominations for Best Supporting Actress and Best Supporting Actor, respectively. The set design was also outstanding; there is brilliant use of windows, stairways, landscaping, and lighting throughout the film.

GREG: Nathan FIllion also makes for great comic relief as Dogberry - the buffoonish security guard. From the hero perspective there is a lot to appreciate here. Benedick undergoes a transformation from the confirmed bachelor to offering to lay down his life to defend the honor of Beatrice s cousin. Young Claudio and Hero are the young lovers. Don John is the villain. The classic hero structure is well in place. You could hardly expect less from Shakespeare.

SCOTT: I m totally with you, Greg. Much Ado About Nothing is a gem of a movie that tugs at our heartstrings and cannot help but make us smile. The film has a touching energy to it thanks to sparkling performances by a talented young cast. Joss Whedon took a big chance here and it pays off handsomely. I give this film 4 Reels out of 5. As you note, we have a nice ensemble of heroes who display great range of emotion and handle the challenge of Shakespearean English with style and dexterity. Their hero journeys aren t in the same league as, say, Hamlet or King Lear, but nor are they meant to be. As they stand, I give this great group of young lovers 4 Heroes out of 5. Movie: Heroes:

GREG: I think I was more favorably impressed than you were, Scott. This is the most accessible Shakespeare that I ve ever seen. It was wonderful to look at and to listen to. I give Joss Whedon s latest project 5 out of 5 Reels. I also think that when it comes to classic heroic stories, Shakespeare wrote the book. I give Much Ado 5 out of 5 Heroes. Movie: Heroes:
½ June 24, 2017
NIcely done with a crack cast, except maybe the Castle guy. However, the camera work, tho' attractive, is too handheld shaky for dialogue/monologue that, not declaimed (delivered to the balcony), is sometimes hard to hear or understand. And the thing about handheld camera that chichi directors don't seem to understand is that the documentary looking shakiness puts an invisible person (the cameraman) into the scene - and that's weird. Rent a tripod & use it. It's a bit difficult to keep-up with who's-who here, too. Additionally, since the play is transposed into a modern milieu, why not translate the text into modern English, the way the Bible today is translated from King James to an accurate but more modern vernacular? As it is, it's kitschy & cute for the (tiny) Bard crowd but not so much for this viewer. Also, in modern times, all the cute guys playing conniving matchmakers seems pretty unlikely, even gay.
May 10, 2017
while I appreciated the Shakespeare references in modern day, I didn't really enjoy the movie
April 10, 2017
A creative take on a classic script, not all of Whedon's choices jive but its obvious the actors and director had a lot of fun creating it, making it a joy to watch.
½ September 3, 2016
Much Ado is one of the handful of Shakespeare plays I'm reasonably familiar with (having studied it at school) and one of the few I actually enjoy. I've seen several productions, including the Branagh film, and this version stands up well. It's great fun, both in itself and because I'm a Whedon fan and enjoyed watching this cast, composed primarily of his known associates, throw banter at each other. Acker and Denisof are fantastic, though perhaps slightly less sharp than Thompson and Branagh. Clark Gregg, Reed Diamond and Sean Maher are all great too. Dogberry and Verges are two of my favourite Shakespeare characters (as I said, from the relatively few plays I know), and Nathan Fillion and Tom Lenk are hilarious in the roles. Beautiful black and white photography, cocktail parties and smooth-jazz hey-nonny-nonnies complete an interesting, fun adaptation that is - not to be too on-the-nose about it - really quite something.
August 28, 2016
Amy Acker and Alexis Denisof interpretation of Shakespeare's words made this movie wonderful. I had read the play twice in preparation for seeing the movie, but it didn't click until I saw their performances. The other actors did great jobs, too.
½ August 19, 2016
Whedon's successful contemporary adaptation is as interesting as it is engaging. The black-and-white filming extenuates the visual light, dark and shadows, and adds a polish to the film.
July 14, 2016
Joss Whedon teams up with some actors and actresses he'd worked with in Buffy, Angel, and Dollhouse, such as Amy Acker and Alexis Denisof (both from Angel). I hope it comes out in cinemas in NZ.
July 1, 2016
Interesting Joss Whedon directed Shakespeare film.
½ May 27, 2016

Don Pedro - Reed Diamond
Don John - Sean Maher
Conrade - Riki Lindolme
Margaret - Ashley Johnson

In Much Ado About Nothing, Joss Whedon, in a whirlwind filming, pulled in his friends to create a fun, quirky, black and white movie. In fact, this film adapted the fun aspects of Shakespeare's play to Whedon's unique and imaginative directing. Secondary characters really stood out in ways that should not be overlooked.

For instance, Sean Maher (Serenity) was cast as Don John. Every character Maher has portrayed previously has been a good character and it was a shock to see him playing the evil bastard prince. An interesting shift from his more innocent role as Dr. Simon in Serenity who was the caretaker and guardian of his sister. His portrayal of Don John was cold and calculating. He smirked derisively at the pathetic "good masters" and wheedled them into believing the worst of Hero.

A unique twist that Whedon put into the film was changing Conrade from male to female. This made it possible for Don John to be Conrade's (Riki Lindolme) lover without raising eyebrows. An interesting thought is that Conrade being a male would have been more appropriate as Don John's lover since Maher is gay. Conrade, normally a male character, was played as a sex object for Don John and maybe even Borachio (Spencer Treat Clark). She was almost comfortable with Borachio walking in on the foreplay between Don John and herself. She was happy to hand her pot over to Borachio while he was telling her how he had convinced Don Pedro and Claudio that he was having sex with Hero, when in reality he was swiving Margaret.

Though not a character, an important aspect of the movie was the partying. Every scene was filled with people drinking one thing or another. Tables and counters were liberally filled with wine bottles, wine glasses, liquor bottles, and shot glasses. It was hard to decide what time of day it was due to the copious drinking. The only characters that aren't seen drinking or smoking pot are the constables.

Finally, Dogberry (played by Nathan Fillion), the head local constable, obviously wants to sound important but can't seem to say the right words - ever. In fact, he often says the exact opposite of what he is trying to convey. It is funny and tragic simultaneously. In Whedon's version, the constabulary look like they are either FBI or CIA, but act like Keystone cops. Fillon, typically an off beat, fun character actor, plays Dogberry with serious conviction and the more serious he is, the more hilarious his delivery is.

There is a lot to enjoy about this movie and lots to look for. Especially Dogberry's "I am an ass!"
½ May 26, 2016
This is an odd movie for me to recommend, because I feel like to get the most enjoyment out of it, you have to be of 3 minds: a fan of romantic comedies, someone who doesn't mind Shakespearian dialogue, and a Joss Whedon follower. If you are someone who fits that criteria, I think you'll be highly entertained.

This is a a very strict adaptation of the Shakespeare play, so one can see why it's one of his most popular. The characters are charming and the situations that arise between them are both endearing and funny. Whedon effortlessly applies it to a modern setting. The black and white look (while done partly for budget reasons) seems appropriate in giving it more of a classic atmosphere. The cast is littered with alumni from Joss Whedon shows and they are able to give life to the characters. Angel fans especially should be extremely happy with the main pairing in this play.
May 21, 2016
Really not my type of movie. I knew it was based on Shakespeare play but I was not expecting it to be word for word. Couldn't watch it.
April 15, 2016
Ahhhhhhhhh Joss Whedon Shakespeare movie!!!
½ March 6, 2016
Ugh... Give me a fuckin' break!!! I feel like punching anyone who likes this film right in the face.
½ February 14, 2016
Solid meat and potatoes adaptation which misses a lot of the sauciness but is clear, bright and heartfelt.
½ February 7, 2016
I lost the will to live after missing half the dialogue in the opening scenes due to actors speaking too fast or mumbling, and was bored in the later scenes where I could understand them. Only when Claudio rejects Hero did I get at all interested, and I lost interest again during the slapstick scenes with the constables. Overall a very damp squib indeed for me, and the context-free mafia setting seemed very unimaginative.
½ December 12, 2015
While undoubtedly probably a great adaption of the play, I have no knowledge of the story, the script is very dense and the black and white atmosphere makes a bland Shakespeare film even harder to stay interested in. I only watched about 20 minutes before I got bored.
September 25, 2015
I want to see this so, so bad! Just watching the trailer makes me happy. Plus it's Joss Whedon, Nathan Fillion AND Shakespeare.
½ September 5, 2015
Great cast of characters. Not as exciting as when Baz did Shakespeare. Hats off to Joss Whedon for keeping it classical while being very comedic.
½ September 3, 2015
Joss + Shakespeare = 2 of my favourite things. How could I not love it? So simple and clean - set in the present, shot entirely on one property (Joss' house!) in B&W. Strong images, strong performances by the usual (Whedonverse) suspects.