Mud - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mud Reviews

½ December 9, 2016
Mud (Jeff Nichols): A coming-of-age story of a 14 and 40-year old. A film about innocence lost and growing up.
November 19, 2016
Watching this movie feels like dreaming, and you don't want to wake up.
½ November 4, 2016
A remarkable character sheet. It's a slow burn but definitely worth a watch.
October 29, 2016
All movies focused on kids from the south seem to come off a bit like Stand By Me but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Not sure it needed the bad guy story line as it didn't add to what was supposed to be the moral of the story, other than supplying the ending. Either way, good story. Well casted.
October 28, 2016
At times prodding and unintentionally giving off an "After-School Special" feel, "Mud" succeeds because of its strong performances by the cast, particularly Matthew McConaughey and the younger actors. Somewhat predictable & slow, but it pays off if you stick with it. I still believe McConaughey will win an Oscar someday. Movies like this one showcase his talent when he is playing against typecast and pulls it off with finesse.
October 18, 2016
A teenage boy receives lessons on how to be a man from a fugitive living on a boat stuck in a tree. Perfect.
October 7, 2016
Great performances, deep characters, and a well written script. Mud is a well made movie.
½ September 22, 2016
Absolutely love this movie. Fantastic
September 11, 2016
A masterpiece of story craft, Mud may be the punctuating affirmative to the notion that Jeff Nichols is currently a maestro of American independent cinema.
September 3, 2016
At a unique connective setting worked out a coming of age direction symbolically and as a puzzle with rough turns while adjacent with a dramatic plot, together brought out an effective breakout performance from Tye Sheridan and McConaughey at his independent best. (A-)

(Full review TBD)
August 30, 2016
Well acted and brilliantly shot movie but the movie's pacing begs you to close your eyes and have a nap.
August 21, 2016
Movies like this one used to be hailed iconic, these days it goes by like it wasn't ever made.
August 21, 2016
Another brilliant film by Jeff Nichols, a reasonably simple story is elevated by the writing and the exceptional performances, especially by the young lead
August 13, 2016
Well done, very interesting story.
August 12, 2016
This appealing and rewarding tale is a miracle of American independent filmmaking, written and directed by the promising Jeff Nichols, and anchored by a resilient performance from Mr. McConaughey.
July 29, 2016
Thoroughly enjoyed how this movie never let itself be tied down - always surprising you. But for me the violence, especially round the teenagers, is difficult to accept as what seems part of their normal lives. Truthful in parts of America? Yes - just to see it on screen is shocking and hard to take. Why did it need to exaggerate the violence?
Reminded me of a modern adult version of Huck Finn at times.
Beautifully made film, in all departments.
July 27, 2016
*****
Mud is a brilliantly original film, with stunning performances by Matthew McConaughey and Tye Sheridan. It's got wonderful direction, an enthralling script, and I get the feeling that, with time, this will be a classic.
July 23, 2016
Not a big fan of post-resurgance McConaughey; I find him very mannered and disingenuous, with his slack jaw, furrowed brow, wandering hands, fake-sounding gravely voice, and I couldn't help but imagine the effortlessly strange and fascinating Michael Shannon killing in the lead, especially when he's showing up for delightful but too-few-and-far-between cameo scenes. On the whole, I find I seem to want to like Nichols movies more than I end up liking them (though I did love 99% of Take Shelter). His approach to pacing here is closer to what he did in Shotgun Stories, whereby he has ridiculously high-stakes drama presented in a relaxed, unhurried way. Which sounds fine, but just doesn't work for me in practice, even while I'm revelling in his tone and atmosphere and skilful character work. The aspects of epic (and not-so-epic) romance make my eyes roll, and the denouement seems utterly absurd and out-of-place, like a movie plot is intruding on the lives of ordinary people. Also I don't know what the heck he thought he was doing with those female characters. It's shameful how much he wastes Paulson and Witherspoon. Sam Shepard is fucking great, though. Holy shit that was a beautiful performance, and completely overshadowed by McConaughey's mugging.
July 21, 2016
Mud crept up on many viewers, not just myself, and it presents itself accurately as a very genuine movie. While so may interpret it as a film bashing female commitment issues, I took it as a film that analyses the nuances and fickle nature of consensual love. Matt McConaughey, who can sometimes get on my nerves with his style, was admittedly very good in this film. Both child actors did good jobs too, particularly Tye Sheridan. Reese Witherspoon, Sam Shepard, the entire cast holds up their end. The plot may find some bored, but its originality, and its ability to remind viewers of classic novels such as Mark Twain(s books), and To Kill A Mockingbird was awesome.
July 18, 2016
Brilliantly understated performances from Matthew McConaughey and Tye Sheridan in this melancholic coming-of-age story of two men sharing a similar destiny of troubled upbringing and betrayals of their loved women.