Muhomatsu, the Rikshaw Man (Muhomatsu no issho) Reviews

• Aug 14, 2012

Muhomatsu - The Rickshaw Man (1958) People always talk about Toshiro Mifune as the Japanese John Wayne, but I think that he's a far superior actor. Maybe because Wayne was held back by Ford, but I kind of think that Mifune simply has a wider range. This is more obvious in this movie. Wild Matsuguro (Mifune) is kind of a drunken troublemaker who is a rickshaw driver. Somehow everyone loves this guy. He helps a young injured boy and has sort of taken on the care of the boy and his mother after the father dies. After many years he has secretly fallen in love with the widow, but it's unrequited, of course. This film is beautiful in color and wide screen, showing the many cultural festivals. It really shouldn't be missed if you get a chance to see it.

• Aug 09, 2012