Mulberry Street - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mulberry Street Reviews

November 5, 2012
de efectos donde el fuego es digital y hay ratas zombies, no me suena nada al supuesto miedo paranoico post terrorismo del que se jactaba tener, aún así resulta algo entretenido.
½ October 2, 2012
This is a solid little horror picture and probably the best of the entire After Dark Horrorfest series. The characters are well developed even with the divided up screen time and pretty much all of the performances are serviceable. Obviously this doesn't have the budget of a lot of other zombie type films, but this does have one of the more horrifyingly plausible causes for the outbreak (minus the whole were-rat aspect). The film is simple but solid and fun, it looks great for the size of the movie and lets you get to know likable enough characters before the shit really hits the fan.
September 26, 2012
Cool "infected" cheapie that makes the most of it's claustrophobic setting and admittedly cheesy premise.
September 23, 2012
I thought the first 40 minutes of the movie was very slow. At the heart of the movie this was a zombie movie. What we got was 40 minutes of character development that in my opinion was not needed.

After the first 40 minutes the movie took off and it felt like a horror/zombie movie. The first couple of zombies were infected by rats, after that if you were bit by a zombie you also became a zombie. The difference between the zombies in this movie and other zombie movies is that the zombies showed physical characterizations of rats, and their actions was that of rats.

The second half of the show was action packed and was enjoyable to watch, until the ending, once we got to the last 10-15 minutes of the movie we once again got into the slow character building of the movie.

This movie to me was watchable but sub-par.
September 2, 2012
Nothing more that a Night of the Living Dead clone in rat's clothing.
The director shows potential though.
August 27, 2012
Not a bad little horror flick, set in NY amidst a strange outbreak of rat bites that begin to mutate the infected humans into rat-like creatures. The verite style shooting is very well-done, claustrophobic and disorienting at times.

Having recently given it a second look off the To-Watch Pile I can happily report that it holds up well on the re-watch as well.

Worth a rental.
½ May 1, 2012
Rat zombie people and the hero who didn't have a gun, bow and arrows.noooo he had his fist and headbutts. WTF! they tried to be different. it had the dark look of 28 days later but they failed miserably.
April 20, 2012
This was about the dullest zombie-style movie I have seen in a long time, despite the effort made to make everything gritty and dark. I just didn't find the monsters to be all that scary or believable, nor were any of the characters terribly interesting. Even the gore was minimal, and most of the terror consisted of people being pulled off screen. Yawn.
½ April 1, 2012
It was okay, there were some problems. And well rat zombies, interesting theory. Ending was sort of predictable and messed up.
March 17, 2012
One of the best Horror films of 2007 and it's not only one of the Best Horror films of 2007 but it is also one of the better After Dark Horrorfest movies. Mulberry Street is a really suspenceful virus movie that has lots of thrills and psychological scares with loads of jumps and tight suspense with a really good plot and a solid cast. This movie is about a viral outbreak in Manhattan where people starts to turn into rat like zombie creatures whenever they get bitten by rats and a group of survivors are forced to stay in they're homes as the CDC tries to clear the streets of New York City. This is a really nice virus movie so far and I had a great time watching it. To say this the movie is not only a zombie movie but in my opinion it's also a virus movie because the center of the story also focus more on the rats and the outbreak of New York City other than focusing on the survivors who were not infected at all and that idea is pretty nice so far because the technique of this movie is really different compared to other zombie movies. I personally had a really good time watching this film and it was great so far from start to finish. The movie itself is really quick and fast paced from start to finish and it never gets boring at all. What I personally enjoy about this movie is that the film is really tight on the suspense and scares and the entire film is really suspenceful and intense from start to finish and the suspense is seriously tight when I was watching this film the scene where the superintendent gets bitten by a rat was really tight on the suspense and that scene really got me so far and that scene was also intense and the other scene that got me was when the people at the bar gets attacked by an infected girl who already turned into a rat like zombie creature that was also a suspenceful scene in the movie as well and the rest of the scenes were really packed with tight thrills and suspense which makes the movie look good so far. What was nice about this film is that the film is packed with really good sound effects and the sound effects seriously fits well in the movie all the sound effects like the sound of the rat zombie people seriously adds up a lot in the film and it packs quite a punch in the movie and I personally enjoy that idea for the movie. Since the sound effects are great what I like about Mulberry Street is that the film has a really silent, creepy and eerie soundtrack. The soundtrack in Mulberry Street is really eerie whenever you hear the song in the film and that technique was really good because the style of the soundtrack starts of first when there are no rat like zombie people the soundtrack is really eerie and silent until it turns creepy then it gets scary when the rat like zombie creatures appear in the streets and that technique is really nice so far. The movie itself is also full of incredible special effects and it's also full of neat blood and gore effects and let me tell you this all the gore, blood and special effects are really gritty, neat and graphic and disgusting as well in the movie the scene where we see the rat like zombie man eats the guy is seriously disgusting and gross as well and I also like the scene where the rat like zombie man graphically bites the throat of a girl and rips it off violently is seriously insane and intense so far when I was watching it and that scene really got me because of how graphic it was when I was watching it and certainly that is one of the most vile and disgusting scenes in the movie so far. What I like about this movie is that the film is also atmospheric the entire atmosphere in the movie is really atmospheric from the start until the end and I think that idea is great so far for the movie and it fits well along with the soundtrack and the suspense which makes it turn into a really good virus movie so far. The acting is great from a couple of good decent actors and actresses all of these decent casts members seriously did some great moments with their performances in the movie so far. Director Jim Mickle did a really good job with his directing on this movie and he really focused a lot on the rats and the outbreak of the city not only the characters in the movie but more also on the outbreak and the rats the only problem is that he would have made a clear explanation on where the rats got that virus because the explanation of the story is lacking so far but at least Jim Mickle did a good job with his directing with this movie so far and I'm hoping to see more works of him in the future for the Horror genre so far. Overall this movie gets a 10/10 because the film is really suspenceful, atmospheric and really tight from start to finish. I'll be watching the other After Dark Horrorfest movies again someday and do a review of them.
March 10, 2012
Mulberry St. is the first feature collaboration from the Stake Land writing team of director Jim Mickle and Nick Damici, who also plays the lead role of ex-boxer Clutch (and Stake Land's 'Mister'). Mulberry is a horror flick that takes place in a NYC tenament on the eve of the tennants losing their home to eminent domain. As Clutch receives a visit from his daughter, returning from service in Iraq, a bizarre outbreak hits the neighborhood and Clutch, his daughter and their neighbors become trapped in their apartments as people around them are being transformed into vicious creatures with rat-like features. The story might sound silly to some but, Mickle takes his tale of a zombie outbreak with a vermin twist completely serious and makes one creepy and effective horror flick out of it. Mickle maintains an atmosphere of dread throughout and offers some tense and suspenseful scenes as our apartment dwellers become the target of their vicious and hungry former neighbors. The almost documentary like style draws us in and Mickle gives us some very 'real people' characters to care about and root for. He gets good performances out of his cast and presents some simple but, very effective FX to portray his protagonists and their carnage. Mulberry St. may not appeal to the casual or mainstream horror fan but, to those who enjoy something offbeat, inventive and a little different, then a trip down Mulberry St. is a creepy trip worth taking.
½ March 3, 2012
This is an effective low-budget horror movie that really works. The characters are human, realistic and very well developed, creating an empathy with the viewer; the plot is simple and interesting but explains the origin of the outbreak; and the attack of the horde of mutants is gruesome and claustrophobic. The acting was great all round and it was nice to see a movie of this type that didn't use zombies for once! The squealing noises made by the rat people as they flood through corridors and streets was suitably disturbing. If you enjoyed "28 Days Later" or are a horror fan in general then you should certainly check out this movie.
½ February 1, 2012
Probably one of the better of the Horrorfest flims from 07. I didn't really read anything about this and If i did I would of said this was a ridiculous premise for a movie. But it worked out well. I suggest just going into it without reading the story line and just go with it. It's better that way.
½ January 20, 2012
A decent entry in the After Dark Horrorfest series, Mulberry Street is not exactly a zombie film, but it follows a similar infection paradigm as the denizens of New York are transformed into bloodthirsty killers. Mulberry Street works mainly because it bothers to develop its characters before submitting them to the slaughter. Not a great film by any means, Mulberry Street is an effective piece of horror film that demonstrates how a little artistry can go a long ways towards making a film compelling and more respectable than just the run-of-the-mill horror fare.
December 10, 2011
Watched this film after "Stake Land" cos I was so fascinated by Damici's acting, I decided to try his earlier partnership with Mickle, who directed and co-wrote both movies.. The beginning of the film gives a documentary taste, but after a slow start it starts to deliver.. The character background are lacking, only a photograph reveals the relationship between the three main characters, and the father-daughter background of the two main characters are not addressed as well.. I was also surprised when the love interest of the main character fails as a victim.. The ending was vague and illogial (what's the point of killing all the main characters? Plus, did the daughter survive or not?), but I liked the overall concept.. Not possible to judge acting cos the film doesn't really have a plot to reflect on the characters.. Interesting story and concept are fair enough! 6/10
October 14, 2011
En ces temps de prà (C)quelles sans saveurs, celui-ci aurait pu constituer un 28 JOURS PLUS TÃ"T d'honnête facture...
October 3, 2011
Zombie movie. It was ok. Not the greatest but it had zombies. Oh yeah. Its about rats with rabies infecting everything they bite. Cool
October 3, 2011
For a low budget film about mutant rat-men contaminating a city from the sewers, this is pretty good. Mickle is an excellent director and Damici an accomplished writer and central performer, ultimately the terribly marketed Mulberry Street (Zombie Virus on..?) is a fine low-fi affair.
September 30, 2011
Enjoyed it. A decent therianthropic addition to a horror fan's collection.
September 24, 2011
Finally got round to watching this low budget indie horror. It's not bad, the New York neighbourhood setting and characters that seem like real people, rather than hollywood airheads or dumb teenagers, are its plus points. It is ultimately though a little boring, and the gaudy Saw-like green colour template dates it quickly.