Multiple Sarcasms - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Multiple Sarcasms Reviews

December 29, 2012
Not bad. Not magical. Real, and at the same time unrelatable. A good sense of humor with an uninvited melancholy. An unexpected predictability.
½ May 31, 2012
A fine cast cannot save this rumination on male menopause and apology, so inert, so bad, so lifeless, that the mere description repells. Who greenlighted this? What could the pitch have been? ("Let me make this or I'll tell ... !" comes to mind) The home shopping network has more appeal, or the Disney Channel.
January 13, 2012
The film was so so. It needed a rewrite. It seemed at times that it wasn't balanced. The pacing was off. On the positive the film does have some great scenes in it. Timothy Hutton is ok as the lead, but I was expecting better from him. Mira Sorvino steals the film. She is great in every scene of the film. Stockard Channing, Dana Delany, and Mario Van Peebles provide solid supporting work here. It was great seeing Joan Jett in the film. The film is worth checking out for Mira Sorvino's performance.
December 16, 2011
The reviews for this are bad and I have better things to watch in my free time. Pass.
November 26, 2011
need to watch - in instant quie
October 16, 2011
amazing all star cast like the kind they could only do during the studio system as an unhappy man trasshes his marriage and career while writing a play about it all this period piece set in the halycon daze of 1979.
½ May 25, 2011
In "Multiple Sarcasms," Gabriel(Timothy Hutton) takes the day off from work as an architect to go to the Cinema Village to see "Starting Over" and in the process helps a homeless man. His boss Rocky(Mario Van Peebles) has been noting his lack of interest at work for a while, especially on a project for Lauren(Laila Robins). A lot of that has to do with trying to write a play but since it is not yet complete, Pamela(Stockard Channing), an agent, will not represent him since she "represents playwrights, not schmucks," hanging up on him. Also sensing something amiss with her husband and wanting to get into the bathroom at some point, Annie(Dana Delany) suggests a trip to visit her relatives.

While it might be tragic for a person not to live up to their true potential, it can also be a little sad for a movie to do so which is true for the underwhelming "Multiple Sarcasms" with its totally unnecessary vulgarity. The movie has an intriguing premise and a great cast but even they cannot redeem something so flatly executed. The promise comes from hints at a meta approach to a midlife crisis but that only comes at the very beginning and end, leaving a vast wasteland in the middle. To be honest, any games of what if should end when a person first becomes a parent which is the point of no return.
½ April 2, 2011
Great movie!!! Mira Sorvino is hot as usual, great acting all around!!
January 3, 2011
This is one of those movies that you just have to watch at the right moment to like ........ was at the right moment.
October 23, 2010
Timothy Hutton from Nero Wolfe series has left me outstanding impression. This movie goes bit differently with slow love triangle and self-recognition. Works nicely. Not a heart-stopper, but definetely nice movie.
October 23, 2010
Crisis de los 40 e intento de pelicula intelectual, que se queda en intento. Como esta hay muchas y mas en los ultimos tiempos.
October 14, 2010
Witty and urbane people of all ages walk through the melodramatic paces and no matter how much they drink, their bottles are always full.

Whine and meander with them, and stand in line with others who like this movie, defined as the crowd that excuses themselves to the bathroom to fart, but orgasm to their own smell.

A lot of high priced talent working a high school play script, there is nothing to distinguish it from hundreds of other existential drone films that wrap up so nice and neatly that one could swear it was made by Touchstone.
½ September 18, 2010
With a title like Multiple Sarcasms I was expecting a movie that had maybe a little wit. Not here. Instead we get Timmothy Hutton being more depressed than the Twilight kids.
This has the added bonus of giving us the old you should be with your best friend plot line. Leaving us to wait for the characters to catch up.
this movie is just one of many of the failure romantic comedies of 2010.
½ September 14, 2010
Very prolonged movie about this guy writing a play about his life and the mid life crisis that he is going through. Its basically like a chick flick but for guys and when i say that i do not mean that guys should watch this there are better alternatives to this movie if you want to learn lessons about mid life crisis. It has a great cast but really it was poorly written and was very slow and nothing that u should bother with in general. The Half a star goes to Mira Sorvino cause shes one of my fav actresses i just felt sorry for her cause the story did not show off her true ability as a actress. The young girl played well and stockard channing was good but really had a small role. The rest was average. If you really want a movie that has a storyline that has a played created about it, watch "Somethings Gotta Give" Alot better than this waffle.
½ September 5, 2010
An often uneven, inorganic drama centered around a dull, tediously narcissistic character who's as irritating as nails on a chalkboard. SKIP IT!!!
September 4, 2010
Cast: Timothy Hutton, Mira Sorvino, Dana Delany, Mario Van Peebles, India Ennenga, Laila Robins, Stockard Channing, Joan Jett, Chris Sarandon

Director: Brooks Branch

Summary: In 1979, architect Gabriel (Timothy Hutton) begins questioning his existence, avoiding work and escaping into the fictional world of movies. When he starts writing a play examining the choices he's made, it creates issues with his wife (Dana Delany), daughter (India Ennenga) and friends. Meanwhile, he tries to convince a brassy literary agent (Stockard Channing) to represent him and confides in his best friend (Mira Sorvino) in this indie drama.

My Thoughts: "Well it literally starts out with him having everything. A wife, child, and a good job. But then it all falls apart, and then all comes back together again but in a different way then it began. It's definitely a character driven movie. The characters are relatable. India Ennenga, who plays the daughter is really good in this. But Timothy Hutton is the scene stealer and the main character throughout. He was really good in this movie. I also liked Mira Sorvino in this a lot. Her character was just fun and honest. It has a lot of great characters. I don't think this is a movie a lot of people will care for. Some will get the brilliance of it, and others will, well not get it. But it did the job for me. It was funny, interesting, and relatable. The most out there scene is with the dancing tampons (have to see the movie to understand that last line). So to end this, the acting was good and so was the story line. It's not a blockbuster by any means, but its a good story with a sense of deep meaning."
½ August 30, 2010
What a lovely little story with some excellent acting and great direction.

The classic story of man reaching his mid life crisis and knowing this is not what he wants. Great telling of relationship with his wife, daughter and best friend. His struggle to come to terms with what he wants and finding out he always knew what he wanted. The interaction between him and his daughter had a very true to life feel.

I had not heard of this movie but will defiantly watch again and recommend you go hunt out the DVD cheap bucket.
½ August 27, 2010
Watched it in fastforward, and only because Mira was in it.
½ August 18, 2010
Tim Hutton is the only good thing about this Middle age emo-mopefest.