Multiplicity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Multiplicity Reviews

August 18, 2017
Lighthearted and fun.
½ August 18, 2017
One of the best comedies of the last 30 years. Brilliant acting by Michael Keaton as four different characters.
½ July 30, 2017
I have laughed so hard at this movie. It is adorable!! Michael Keaton does a fantastic job in as himself and clones. What a shame that no one really got that this is a hilarious movie.
July 12, 2017
A different but like able change for Michael Keaton
½ February 23, 2017
This quirky little gem was directed by Harold Ramis which, at the time, came across like a bright spark in an otherwise dull period. His last success had been the Bill Murray comedy 'Groundhog Day' back 1993, and since then offerings had been a bit limp ('Airheads, 1994). Then you also had the resurgence of Michael Keaton. Now up until this point Keaton had actually been doing very well since his last big outing as Batman in 1992. Films like 'The Paper' and 'My Life' had shown Keaton could be a very good serious actor, he didn't need the Bat to help him out it seemed. Nevertheless Keaton hadn't made a good comedy since 1989 in 'The Dream Team', so could he still deliver?

Upon a first glance this looked like another weak comedy, even worse...a romantic comedy! I recall seeing trailers in cinema back in the day and completely brushing it aside as soppy trash. Yet the plot to this gooey nonsense is actually pretty solid. A busy construction worker is finding it hard to juggle his work with his personal life, he's suffering from stress and taking it out on the wrong people. On one of his jobs at a science facility Doug (Keaton) stumbles across Dr. Leeds (Harris Yulin)...and his clone. Yes this scientist has perfected the art of cloning humans it seems and offers Doug the chance to clone himself so he can sort his life out. The idea being there will be two Doug's, one for work and one for family. After a few hiccups everything goes swimmingly and before you know it, Doug gets another clone to help out around the house. Its obvious where this is headed, eventually one of the clones gets a clone and before you know it Doug's life is getting a bit hectic again. Can he now juggle his work, family and three clones?

So as I said the idea behind this is actually really neat. It makes you think, wouldn't it be cool to have a clone of yourself that you could send to work so you could bum around. Indeed the movie actually doesn't offer up any negative aspects of this idea, it generally works out pretty well for the protagonist. You half expect one clone to turn out all psychotic or something and Doug needing to vaporise him or whatever. But no it doesn't go down that dramatic route, instead each clone takes on one of Doug's traits. One is more of a mans man, one has Doug's feminine side and one is like a young child...and a bit simple.

This allows Keaton to showcase his comedic skills with different performances for each clone, and it works nicely. Clone one (Lance) is a great foil to Doug with his brash masculinity, lack of tact and slobby habits. Clone two (Rico) is very amusing with his soft over sensitive nature, complete knowledge in and around the kitchen and his sharp dress sense. Lastly clone three (Lenny) is the least funny to be honest as he merely does stupid slapstick type things and acts like a child. To be brutally honest I don't even think the movie needed this character, should have gone with a different trait if you ask me. If you removed clone three it wouldn't really make any difference.

Looking back the special effects now are laughably poor I'm afraid, although not always. Seeing as there are four Keaton's you can imagine there's gonna be a lot of greenscreen and split-screen here. Again as you can imagine this being a 1996 flick most of these effects, now, do look ropy. There are some terribly obvious stark black lines around Keaton in some scenes with other clones, not only that but there is also really obvious light issues between the characters (presumably greenscreen effects). Not all look that bad, some scenes look quite good where shots have been digitally layered together or when Keaton has obviously interacted with a stand-in and then they replaced that with another Keaton character. All the clones in the car at the end, Doug pouring Lenny some Coke, all the clones on the couch in the living room, all great looking effects scenes.

Obviously there are always gonna be questions and nitpicks because that's what I do. The house that Doug and his family live in is [b]YUGE![/b] I know this guy is a team leader in construction and I know Americans do live in big houses compared to us here in the UK, but Jesus! This place even has a second small house at the bottom of the garden! Is that an the American version of a shed or something?? Then you have Dr. Leeds and his cloning lab. How is this guy not world famous by now with his human cloning? Surely perfecting this kind of scientific breakthrough would be big news.

Yes this movie is horribly dated now, which is really scary for me because as said I remember seeing the trailers in the cinema. Keaton is a great comedic lead but boy does he look out of date and so very 90's in this (no shit!). The way he dresses is sooo 90's its lovely, its like watching [i]Friends[/i] again. The overall comedy is very agreeable in general. At times wickedly good, at times hit and a miss, at times cringeworthy and over the top. Andie MacDowell plays Doug's wife which is one let down because she's so flippin' useless in my opinion, all teeth and nose. But I do love this movies premise, its clever and presents great opportunities for witty visual comedy (just like 'Groundhog Day'). In general this is a great little flick that suited Ramis to a tee. It offers some genuine laughs and a nice easy-going, laid-back experience. Comfy viewing.
February 17, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 30, 2017
Remembered enjoying this growing up so rewatched it recently. Was shocked to see I had not even rated it. It holds up as a comedy, and maybe even a clever comedy.

Not really a fan of Keaton but I have to admit he's impressive in this movie. He can't find enough time in the day and resorts to cloning himself. The clones end up doing the same thing. Each clone has a unique personality, and each generation gets a lot dumber. Keaton actually did quite well to master the different personalities. A fun and original flick.
½ January 13, 2017
Always liked this one , seen the 4th time i think ...maybe Doug#4 is not as funny as it suposed to be , but still loved it ! SOMDVD
October 6, 2016
My 3 stooges great classsical comedy I love Michael he is my Idol!
½ August 15, 2016
Multiplicity is a laugh out loud movie. It has great humor like "I got a wallet." I loved this movie and would recommend it to anyone.
July 31, 2016
Multiplicity is a hilarious and an amazing comedy movie. Michael Keaton was the perfect person to have the star role in this movie. This is one of my favorite Michael Keaton movies yet. Two thumbs up! I would suggest this movie.
½ April 27, 2016
Neat SciFi twist with rumor.
February 24, 2016
Pretty silly script and impossible premise the movie still showcases the acting talents of Keaton. A total guilty pleasure movie for me as there are some truly funny moments.
½ February 16, 2016
Comedia muy aprovechable si te gusta Michael Keaton.
½ February 2, 2016
Doug Kinney (Michael Keaton) es un hombre que tiene muchas tareas y empieza a colapsar. Cuando aparece la posibilidad de clonarse, Doug no lo duda y empezará a organizar sus clones para realizar las diferentes tareas diarias.
January 20, 2016
'Multiplicity' is such a great, old school comedy. Michael Keaton is just awesome as an actor. The Doug's continue to get more hilarious the more they multiply. The scene where 4 is introduced is my favorite scene in the whole movie. If you haven't seen this classic please take the time and watch it. So funny
November 14, 2015
four michael keatings each one dumber than the last its ok not great.
November 10, 2015
A comedy from '90s which was in fact not so comical.
October 4, 2015
Michael Keaton plays a building contractor poorly dealing with life's stresses. He happens upon a scientist who is able to make duplicates of him, so he decides to take advantage of the situation so he can be in many places at once in order to satisfy everyone in his life (boss, wife, kids, friends, etc). The copies of the copies aren't nearly as sharp as the original, so problems start to occur including losing his job and having his wife leave him. The Simpsons did a parody of this in Treehouse of Horror XIII. Even with the always funny Eugene Levy and Andie MacDowell (my first Hollywood-crush), this movie still kinda sucks.