Mumford Reviews

July 22, 2011
This quiet charmer of a piece by Lawrence Kasdan posits, like the old Bacherach number suggests, " what the world needs now is love,sweet love". Loren Dean is perfectly cast as the unassuming and sedate soul prepared to hear whatever it is one might have to say ... only who is he exactly? Don't let this underrated bit of old style whimsy pass you by.
June 8, 2006
Mrs. Crisp: What kind of doctor are you?
Dr. Mumford: Ph.D. in psychology.
Mrs. Crisp: Oh. Not a real doctor.
Dr. Mumford: That's right, the fake kind.

Here's a funny little comedy involving an easy to get along with shrink, living in a small town filled with a bunch of quirky people who like to talk to him.

Loren Dean is Dr. Mumford. You may not have heard that name before, but he's in a bunch of movies, usually in those small character roles that are filled appropriately.

The story revolves around Mumford and his patients, how he gets by, and an eventual twist in the story.

The film was written and directed by Lawrence Kasdan, who among other things, was a screenwriter for two Star Wars films, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and a number of other films usually very character based. The man knows what he is doing.

The movie features an ensemble cast that includes the always reliable Jason Lee, Ted Danson, Martin Short, David Paymer, Alfre Woodward, Hope Davis, and Zooey Deschanel.

Each of these people all have there own things going on, but they are all entertaining characters. Lee's character for example is a normal guy who created a piece of technology and is now one of the richest guys in the country. But, he's lonely and has his own way of trying to please himself.

This whole movie is very simple, but funny, and likable, like the town that they all live in.

Skip Skipperton: Do you know how I spend my every single solitary moment?
Dr. Mumford: Jerking off?
Skip Skipperton: No, that's a good guess though!
½ November 15, 2006
A lot better than I thought it would be.
November 7, 2006
I think this is so adorably cute.
June 5, 2006
I like this movie and I don't know why. Everyone in this town is so screwed up, and you get to see what Jason Lee did before he became an actor.
January 27, 2012
A perfect three star film. Kind of interesting but not something to dwell much over. Who is this Mumford? Who cares ultimately?
Blaster1618
½ September 11, 2010
psychologist impersonator heal thyself. If it doesn?t play in Peoria ? I really love this movie because all the character are people you would meet walking down main street America. Each character is even more likable than the rest. Mumford escapes the big city and big city attitude for small town hypochondria. I?ve not scene such an in depth view of middle America since Talking heads ?True Stories? Yes people are as neurotic as Woody Allen in other places other than New York. I really love how he reaches (kinda self serving and voyeuristically) into other peoples lives in a since to reach his own karmic balance. Definitely reaching out to help other people to help himself this movie is the anti- serotonin up take inhibitor advertisement. If you know what that sentence mean you in all probability will not really get into the concept of this movie.
½ March 20, 2008
Not Lawrence Kasdan's shining moment, but one of the better of his more recent films.
iLeo
December 19, 2007
A great movie.
June 26, 2007
There are a lot of secrets in the town of Mumford, and the same could be said of the movie itself. Don't pass this one up.
May 17, 2007
I'm surprised this movie isn't more well-known. It had a great cast, and above all, a great message.
½ January 20, 2007
its not really funny. its good that he made funny star wars stuff. the movies all about this guy mumford. loren dean is good here. and everyone is good here. the movie isnt awesome so a lot of ppl wont like ti
½ September 11, 2006
Filmed in Santa Rosa, where i live, not a very good movie, but cool to see familiar sights in a movie.
Shockingly good film. It's about a fake psychologist and even though it's supposed to be comedy, but it felt so real. I enjoyed it.
February 22, 2014
Quiet, simply delightful little film about a man pretending to be a psychologist in a little town and the people he helps, including himself. Perfectly charming movie, with a wonderful cast. As usual, Hope Davis shines.
February 17, 2014
/C+/ There are some great ideas in here, but ultimately the film is a bit bland.
½ July 5, 2007
Can't really remember this, but remember thinking it was cute.
August 4, 2012
Unusual film with an engrossing main character who thinks he can avoid life by being an observer. Lots of stars you'd never expect show up including Jason Lee as a geek millionaire and Alfre Woodward as his love interest!
½ November 18, 2011
Overlooked and totally winning comedy from Lawrence Kasdan. Fresh and wonderful.
Blaster1618