Mumia: Long Distance Revolutionary - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mumia: Long Distance Revolutionary Reviews

Harlequin68
½ February 3, 2013
I remember hearing about the case of Mumia Abu Jamal, ne Wesley Cook, who was convicted of murdering a Philadelphia policeman in 1981, when I was in college but without any details at the time had no true sense who he is or what he is about. That was true until this illuminating, yet occasionally repetitive, documentary that traces his story, with his first political education coming at the boot heel of a cop. His path as an independent journalist begins as a teenager as a Black Panther and later a radio journalist for NPR, covering various issues including police brutality, with his mellifluous voice on full display here. That even continues behind bars where in the tradition of other jailhouse writers continues to speak out.(As far as a personal life goes, it is more along the lines, oh by the way, he has kids.) Whether he is a true political prisoner is up for debate. What is not is the brutal and racist police of Philadephia's past, making a circumstantial case that he was railroaded. In a city which bombed its own citizens in 1985, I would have to say anything is possible.

In general terms, "Mumia: Long Distance Revolutionary" refreshingly does not shy away from radical politics, instead embracing them wholeheartedly in discussing the racism and by proxy the prison industrial complex in the United States, with a focus on the MOVE organization in Philadelphia. However, we have all been to the lecture on the corporatization in media. Even then, hearing Cornel West saying that Kenny G. is to John Coltrane, as Oprah Winfrey is to Mumia Abu Jamal is priceless.
½ January 19, 2015
.....
Mostly unknown agitators reading his writings
Cornell West
More hagiography and agit prop than documentary
Runs slightly over two hours to cram in as many revolutionaries as possible.
May 4, 2013
Everyone in West Philadelphia knows that Mumia did not kill officer Faulkner. We know who did it, and we know that that never mattered to the police and prosecutors who were determined to silence Mumia for his scathing criticisms of governmental racism, police brutality and social oppression. Rather than retrying the legal case, flawed as it was, this movie is the story of a successful radio journalist, imprisoned for 30 years, whose passion has always been to expose social injustices. Through interviews and public records, this movie traces his journalistic career from the age of 15 until the present day. For many this will be the first time Mumia's voice has ever been heard. His story is eloquently illustrated through disturbing film clips, first-hand testimonials, and his own voice. The real question here is this: Will you watch the move and make up your own mind, or have you already swallowed the story that has been perpetuated by the hate-mongers of talk radio and the mindless followers of corrupt organizations?
½ February 8, 2013
Absolute partiality blinds an opportunity to examine the reasons why a more vocal group within black revisionist academia would believe that the morals of the larger African-American community are the sort which support Mumia Al-Jamal, a former radio host convicted of the murder of 25-year old Daniel Faulkner in 1982.
½ February 2, 2013
This is tripe propaganda by Hollywood & the mainstream media. Only they would ignore a murderer's crime just to sell us all a story that has little to do with reality. Skip it.
½ January 19, 2015
.....
Mostly unknown agitators reading his writings
Cornell West
More hagiography and agit prop than documentary
Runs slightly over two hours to cram in as many revolutionaries as possible.
December 1, 2014
Very in depth documentary about a man who might have killed a cop, but that doesn't define him, he's way better than that sad incident. He's a political analyst and social critic bar none.
May 6, 2013
Be aware that the critiques low ratings don't have anything to do with the quality of the movie, but reflect a political stance against Mumia. This is a great documentary from all points of view and one that anybody with a concern for human dignity should go see, if nothing else, to take a stance against all the censorship it was subjected to.
May 4, 2013
½ March 14, 2013
I am sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for this film, visit Charlotte and you will see me on the front row!
March 14, 2013
Free Mumia and all political prisoners now.....
March 14, 2013
I greatly enjoyed this film. It provides the context in Philly at the time and that was worth the price of the ticket. I understand much more fully now the case of Mumia and I am now a supporter.
March 13, 2013
This was a SURPRISE TREAT!!! Ifirst learned of MUMIA'S case in 1999/2000 I wrote a paper for a criminal justice class. His story angered me as well as PROPELLED me to tell everyone I knew about the injustice and railroading he received. This movie updated me on the MANY MANY radio news shows as well as his journalistic contributions to an ARRAY of college students, sports fans, visitors etc. If you believe JUSTICE IS TRUELY BLIND I implore you to see this movie!!
March 11, 2013
An engaging look at this "controversial" figure. The impressive and deep cast give voice to a man intentionally silenced by the mainstream media. The portions on his journalist background in particular, help portray him as a talented intellect armed with the power of persuasion, a charismatic voice and a message that was indeed threatening to the status quo. A great story, told well.
March 11, 2013
I've seen the film and from my perspective I found this movie to be great. It makes you think, something that my generation tends not to do. Over all I think it is a must see for anyone that enjoys film.
March 11, 2013
An introspective look into the gifted voice of Mumia from the other side. The director has helped and guided us to continue learning from someone who captivates us just as he did before he went to prison.
½ March 11, 2013
It Was amazing. He has done so much while unable to touch or hug anyone he loves. He and Mandela. Hero's.
March 10, 2013
This movie is a MUST SEE!!!!!!
March 9, 2013
Just went to see this film! It was artistically done and there were moments that brought me to tears! I will see it again!
March 9, 2013
Incredible film and backstory on the Mumia Abu-Jamal. It really humanized him as a highly intellectual and deep individual and showcasing the reach of a voice which the state of Pennsylvania has attempted to silence. Go see it!!! It was a true education.