The Mummy Returns - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mummy Returns Reviews

July 15, 2017
Not as good as the original but much better than the sequels and spin-offs - wasn't sure about the introduction of The Rock as the Scorpion King
July 4, 2017
Just as big, silly and fun as the first, even if a little bit of rotting has occurred (convoluted mythology, bad effects). And man, do I miss the goofy coolness of Fraser; how his doofus-y face and dorky delivery worked so well is beyond me.
June 27, 2017
Solid action, good comedic timing, not a waste of time to watch.
June 24, 2017
The film is very impressive at times but the connection issues to the past or even the original film are tested, the storyline seems too convenient. I can't see why they linked characters by dreams or tattoos, the mythologies have grown far fetched and tiresome. I enjoyed the first film because of the characters and while they are still here, the director and writer Sommers has turned them into distant memories. The action is dialled up to 11 and the Scorpion King is a great setup for the sequel, it's just frustrating they give us a great setup but fail to deliver. The special effects are rushed and are quite embarrassing for a tent pole film of this nature. The franchise hit a giant snag here but made enough money to make it a success, it just felt like the studio didn't allow the film to be properly finished for release. The scorpion king special effects are horrendous and prove my previous statement, Sommers needed to fight for more time to ensure a strong film. As sequels go this was merely okay and could've been a better film given extra time, even the screenplay feels like it was super rushed. It's almost a play by play of the first film. 24-06-2017.
½ June 22, 2017
With its occasional CGI mishaps and little focus on major character development (or excitement), the mummy probably shouldn't have returned.
½ June 21, 2017
The Mummy Returns captures neither the atmosphere or the goofy, fun that the first does and the end result feels like a muddled version of the first with a bigger scope.
June 21, 2017
Suffers a little from the belief commonly held by sequels that "Bigger is better". Does expand the mythology (arguably not a positive), but more importantly is still a good time, thanks primarily to the relationship between the Brendan Fraser and Rachael Weisz characters.
½ June 17, 2017
An overstuffed but very well made sequel.
½ June 15, 2017
the biggest garbage ever. completely lost the charm of the first movie. it's worse in every way. it seems like they tried using as much CGI as possible, when they definitely weren't ready to be doing all that. and it looks baddddddd. the first mummy came out 2 years earlier, and the CGI was outdated, but they didn't use is as much so they were able to mask it a lot better. and this movie tries to copy so many of the moments from the first movie, it reeks of desperation. so many dumb parts, i could barely finish. monkey mummies, smh. gg (about 2 viewings)
June 12, 2017
This movie was poorly put together. The plot looks as if it was created in one day.
June 10, 2017
Good Sequel, good sequel :)
½ June 9, 2017
would be better, but the kid was so annoying
June 8, 2017
It's a cut below its predecessor. It still has some fun moments, but in the end amounts to nothing memorable.
June 8, 2017
A great movie with an plot still intresting and itimidating but still had parts where many sequels dont always get it right but an enjoyable movie.
June 8, 2017
More action orientated than its predecessor, but that's the disappointing part about this sequel. "The Mummy Returns" may offer some campy fun, but that's not enough to overcome a weak script that sacrifices character development over action sequences. I wanted to see more interactions between Rick, his wife, their son and their pals during this crazy adventure instead of non-stop thrills. Plus it would have been nice to see Imhotep share some more scenes with his arch-nemesis, Rick, as well. I mean, this is the hero who killed Imhotep in the first one. Shouldn't they share at least a five minute scene with each other to exchange either dialogues and exchange more action sequences. I guess too many characters prevented this from happening. What's worse, all these action sequences they decided to focus on now looks out of date and noticeable since you can see the obvious green screen on the background, making the movie look like a very expensive student film. Still, I'm going to miss this franchise once Tom Cruise takes over. It was fun while it lasted.
June 7, 2017
Another guilty pleasure even if the cgi on the rock was crap.
June 7, 2017
So far, my favorite Mummy movie. I love Fraser and Weisz as a couple and their son adds an element of fun that is very welcomed.
June 6, 2017
I use to love this film. Not I think it's silly and the effects are rubbish
June 1, 2017
Less classic and less fun, this sequel tries too hard to be Indiana Jones and fails to bring the scares and thrills of the first film.