The Mummy's Hand - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mummy's Hand Reviews

July 24, 2017
Tonally speaking its not what I expected nor what I feel is right for this series. The comedy works but it's relied on way too much with the actual horror almost unidentifiable throughout, aside from the last ten minutes. The performances are good but the characters are rather unlikable and the plot itself is rather basic but did surprise me with a certain twist regarding what the villain would be. The production design is the saving grace with the setting and make-up of the characters utterly superb.
½ January 1, 2017
It isn't a classic on par with the Karloff original. However it's good enough to be remade by Hammer, with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, and in 1999 with Brendan Fraser and CGI effects. This has a sense of adventure, humor, and fun that carries the film through. And while Tom Tyler doesn't have the charisma of Boris Karloff, his black eyed Mummy is still effectively scary.
October 20, 2016
The comic relief is annoying. It takes a while to get going, but the drama is surprisingly effective. The killing part could have been better accentuated to heighten it even more. Karloff is a better actor, but this mummy is, in principle, better.
February 12, 2016
A pair of Americans (Dick Foran & Wallace Ford) convince an aging stage magician (Cecil Kellaway) to finance their excavation of a forbidden Egyptian tomb. Unfortunately for them, this tomb is guarded by an ancient cult that uses strange leaves to control a cursed, shambling mummy (Tom Tyler). The Mummy's Hand is occasionally cited as a sequel to 1932's The Mummy, but it's actually a loose remake that supplants the moody dread of the original with goofy banter and cheap thrills. This movie is far too formulaic and cheaply-made to be a highlight of Universal's monster series, but it's made with competence and it brings most of what one would desire from a modest B-Movie.
February 8, 2016
Why the filmmakers thought this should be more of a silly adventure comedy than a real horror film is beyond my understanding. Also, the characters are stupid.
½ December 11, 2015
humor is good but kinda has a lame last act
½ November 14, 2015
i thought this movie was actually entertaining, it had a well balanced infusion of humor and suspense. i enjoyed actually seeing a mummy in the movie unlike the 1932 The Mummy which I personally thought it was boring.
October 25, 2015
There's not a whole lot I like about this one. I don't really like the comic relief provided by the leads, and I'm not too fond of the plot, which feels like the plot of "The Mummy" drained of the elements that made it interesting. It's got George Zucco and that's always a good thing. The mummy itself also looks better than he does in later films in the series.
April 27, 2015
Fun characters, lots of neat gags, and a neat-looking Mummy, but it doesn't give much more in terms of plot or suspense. The Mummy doesn't show up until the later half, and it's not the most interesting Universal Monster. The short run-time does make it a quick film to watch though.
November 9, 2014
Less of a sequel, and more of a slightly superior remake of the original. The only thing that could've made this one even better would have been had it features Karloff as the title monster, but Tom Tyler is pretty good too. Still...it has stronger characters and plot, as a well as a much needed swifter pace, than the original. This time the Mummy is not Imhotep, but Kharis. Kharis has pretty much the same backstory as Imhotep, having his tongue cut out and being buried alive, ready to return from the dead to terrorize some folks. The non-monster characters a little better here, featuring a couple of guys who want to go on an expedition, and get this funny old magician guy to fund it, prompting him and his daughter to come along for the ride. They are solid characters, and they make this picture work. It is odd to say so, but I personally preferred this sequel to the original, which I found pretty boring (much like Dracula before it). I'd recommend this one for a good classic Horror watch during the Halloween season.
September 29, 2014
Digging up the Mummy name for a new story of Hieroglyphic Hocus Pocus, the bizarrely comic but often entertaining Mummys Hand has nothing to do with a certain appendage but introduces the title character as a rag-wearing shambler who kills on command. With this deuce, the franchise wraps itself in the B-Movie threads that audiences would associate with the brand more than Karloff. Lead-footed silent creature? Crazy cultist using said creature to enact revenge? Damsel carried away by creature? Yep, these boxes all get checked. Fun more than frightful, however, The Mummy's Hand strangely stands on its own ragged feet.

In this continuation of the Universal horror series, an ancient mummy is revived to destroy those that would invade the 3,000 year old tomb of an Egyptian princess.

Interestingly, Abbott and Costello weren't the first comic duo to bring slapstick to this creature feature. In an overlong buildup to the action, Dick Foran and Wallace Ford enact hi-jinks. Oh, and they get an American magician to bankroll their expedition! Its oddities like this that distinguish this follow-up from its forebear and in other ways what was to follow. Though future installments took their story cues and characters from this go-round, the tone was never this freewheeling again, for better and worse.

Bottom line: Pyramid Scheme
July 21, 2014
68%

The creeping death does not scary me, for it is all around us.
January 7, 2014
The Mummys hand is a good addition to the Mummy franchise.
October 29, 2013
Here's a good one from the 40's. The Mummy's Hand is actually more of a reboot than a sequel, but it does recycle some footage from the original "Mummy". I will say the most grotesque moment comes from when the man has his tongue cut out as to not offend the gods. The plot is interesting as where the mummy who was laid in the tomb is alive and a series of priests have been keeping him alive all these centuries. This movie also includes a poor mans version of Abbot and Costello, they are there for comedic effect and it works, especially with the introduction of the magician character, its all just good clean fun. This movie does have a spooky set atmosphere for it and the music goes along greatly with it. Overall its an enjoyable classic film, and it even has a big climatic scene. Compared to the first one, its more entertaining and moves a lot faster than it but it lacks the level of atmosphere that "The Mummy" presented us. Overall, its definitely worth a watch if you are into the classics.
½ September 23, 2013
A follow-up only in name to superior "Mummy" (1932). The first of several sequels, not only does the story arc not match the original, none of the original characters are to be found. This is not to say it is bad, just different as this is more action adventure as opposed to the Gothic gloom found in the 1932 film. There is a duo of goofy archaeologists used for comic relief (not the the level of Abbot and Costello in their Mummy film, so i cannot rightly call this a horror-comedy). A ruler of a secret cult explains an ancient Egyptian king will soon be rising from the dead to find his long dead wife. People wanna get things and people wanna kill people. Sometimes hurried and sometimes comical, good story-line which should get remade.
April 16, 2013
More mummy than the original, more laughs than the original (the humor isn't subtle at all) but the acting and atmosphere don't measure up enough to make this better than its predecessor. But oh well, sequels rarely do. This film on its own is fun. Infact, its so much fun that it feels as if it looses sight of being a horror movie at times.
February 5, 2013
Lovely blend of horror & comedy. Creepy atmosphere and Wallace Ford's comic relief is great.
December 12, 2012
Where are you guys going to find this hill of the seven jack asses?

A rumored treasure and lost tomb in the most dangerous region of the desert has somehow leaked artifacts that an archeologist discovers. The archeologist convinces his best friend and an investor to help him get the resources to find the tomb. He doesn't know that another scientist is fast on his trail, and once he gets there, the scientist plans to reanimate a mummy to kill the archeologist and his companions.

"There's someone around here that just don't like company."

Christy Cabanne, director of Scared to Death, The Man Who Walked Alone, King of the Bandits, Hot Steel, and The Devil's Pipeline, delivers The Mummy's Hand. The storyline for this picture was just okay but the characters were very well written and presented and the overall film was so much fun. The cast includes Dick Foran, Peggy Moran, Wallace Ford, and Cecil Kellaway.

"He's alive."

This movie aired on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) on Halloween so I DVR'd it. I didn't expect much but this was very entertaining and worthwhile. I adored the slew of characters that included scientists, magicians, and plenty of comic relief. I thought this was a clever picture that is definitely worth your time.

"I'll fix them with my trick revolver."

Grade: B+
November 1, 2012
With the Mummy's Hand, Universal did a complete 360 from the Karloff film. With all new characters, a new mummy and a new storyline, this bears little resemblance to the first movie - save from the metric tons of footage lifted from it, of course. With a slant towards comedy that hasn't aged too well, this is one of the lesser Universal chillers of the time. But the mummy stays bandaged this time, and it is clear that this film is the basis for the modern Mummy reboot as well as the Hammer films of the 50s and onwards. An uneven experience, but a nice evening wrap.
½ October 31, 2012