The Mummy's Hand - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mummy's Hand Reviews

½ October 29, 2012
So much more entertaining than the original 1932 Mummy, I'm afraid. Full of jokes and stock footage, it's 1 hour and 6 minute run time is perfect and well worth it.
½ October 16, 2012
No more Im-Ho-Tep. Forget Im-Ho-Tep. Universal does a re-do. I thought I was watching an Abbott and Costello movie without Abbott and Costello. Foran and Ford act like and even look a little like the comedy duo, who later star in a string of movies with the Universal monsters. A very old high priest of Arkan passes down the secret of the mummy to a new high priest named Andoheb (Zucco). The filmmakers blatantly reuse the ancient Egyptian footage from the first Mummy picture to retell the story with some alterations. If you look closely, you will even recognize shots of Boris Karloff in profile or from behind. Face shots of Karloff have been replaced with shots of Tom Tyler. The man who is to become the Mummy is now named Kharis and he is not a high priest himself. The sequels confuse what he was. Was he a commoner, a guard, or a prince? This time instead of a scroll in the box there are tana leaves and Kharis' tongue is cut out before being embalmed alive. We are informed that the tea from three boiled tana leaves should be given to Kharis each night during the full moon cycle to keep him alive to guard the princess's tomb. The princess's name has been altered to Ananka as well. Nine tana leaves will give Kharis the strength to exact revenge on those who desecrate the ancient tombs. Well, there is still more set up as Foran, as Steve Banning, and Ford, as Babe Jenson, bring a side-show magician named Solvani the Great (Kellaway) and his daughter Marta (Moran) into their excavation team. There are some quaint vaudeville type gags that work and I like Peggy Moran as the more gutsy and brainy damsel, who nevertheless needs to be saved by daring men. The new high priest Andoheb, who by day is a professor at the local museum, has an assistant (Arno), who passes himself off as a beggar to keep an eye on the foolish American explorers. At least half an hour goes by before the Mummy makes an appearance and that is nearly half the length of the film. I don't understand why The Mummy's Hand was chosen as the title. The Mummy's Tea would make more sense. The mummy is really thirsty! But who would go to a movie with a title like that? The costuming, makeup and effects for the mummy are not great. When the stunt double for Andoheb is rolling down some temple stairs, it really stood out to me that the double had hair, while Zucco is bald. The "temple" is a recycled set and from the exterior is surely somewhere in California, not in Egypt. The thrills and action are pretty lame.
September 11, 2012
Good adventure horror with some great cinematography and sets. A little boring until the end, however.
September 11, 2012
A good adventure/horror film with some great cinematography and sets. Pretty boring until the end though.
July 28, 2012
Eschews all the wonderful mood and dramatic tension of the first film, and replaces those elements with... nothing! A big letdown, the cool mummy makeup and surprisingly sharp dialogue notwithstanding.
April 9, 2012
More action than the first fil as well as a uch faster pace, that's needed for this film.
½ March 29, 2012
Acceptable time-killer with some creepy moments (the mummy's eyes are like black holes!) but regurgitates plot elements from its much more successful predecessor without any of the stars returning. Karloff is sorely missed (although George Zucco does exhibit some menace as the High Priest). Still, it is somehow reassuring to revisit the Universal Monsters on days like these.
½ March 5, 2012
Sort of a reimagining of the original (yes they even did this in the 30s). Instead of Im-Ho-Tep we now have Karis, who is a more stereotypical slow ass mindless mummy. Im not a big mummy fan, but this was watchable.
February 2, 2012
Mummy's Hand is one of the four timeless sequels to have been released in the wake of the successful film, The Mummy. This film, however, is in another world as it is not a direct sequel to the predecessor. The film removes Immotep and replaces him with a priest who is buried alive for trying toy with life and death. A curse is placed on his sight with a few faithful defenders, but that soon chang...es when those pesky explorers arrive. The expedition is headed by two people and funded by a nearly broke magician and his daughter. They soon discover the tomb they entered is definitely cursed and to make matters worse, the mummy they found is alive. I was dreading a really limited potential film, but was pleasantly surprised by this sequel. The cast was excellent and lovable because you get to see these guys and know their persona. Mummy's Hand is definitely worth watching.
January 30, 2012
Mummy‚(TM)s Hand is one of the four timeless sequels to have been released in the wake of the successful film, The Mummy. This film, however, is in another world as it is not a direct sequel to the predecessor. The film removes Immotep and replaces him with a priest who is buried alive for trying toy with life and death. A curse is placed on his sight with a few faithful defenders, but that soon changes when those pesky explorers arrive. The expedition is headed by two people and funded by a nearly broke magician and his daughter. They soon discover the tomb they entered is definitely cursed and to make matters worse, the mummy they found is alive. I was dreading a really limited potential film, but was pleasantly surprised by this sequel. The cast was excellent and lovable because you get to see these guys and know their persona. Mummy‚(TM)s Hand is definitely worth watching.
shitfaced8
½ November 7, 2011
Fairly typical Universal adventure/monster movie. Still though there was an innocence and genuine enjoyment exhibited from these early Universal movies, that still holds up well today. Though low on real scares, the characters were likeable and interesting enough and the story was pretty good, making this an enjoyable, if far from essential viewing experience.
October 28, 2011
The Mummy's hand for me addressed what was wrong with the previous Universal "The Mummy" film... They actually used a mummy wrapped in bandages for the entire film, it had a more monster movie feel to it! As a whole this was a fairly decent movie, but took a while to get going... Had Boris Karloff played the mummy of Kharis I think this would have been a much better film, but as a whole it's a decent picture.
½ October 2, 2011
This jarring drop in quality from the original Karloff Mummy film is brought to us by the same man who made Scared To Death with Bela Lugosi. Universal replaced the subtle romance and horror of the original 30's picture with bumbling archeologists, horrible productions values and a lot of wonky plot points. The mummy himself is pretty creepy with his blacked out eyes and mouth but that's about all I can say for the positive.
June 1, 2011
The modern "Mummy" remake's direct forebear, this is by-the-numbers adventure film-making for the sequel with the creature's imput reduced to merely a mindless automaton taking orders. Comic relief then steals the reputed horror element in this noticeably factory effort, which is not bad, only it's no mummy picture either, no, not much.
November 27, 2010
Made in 1940,Two archeologists go to egypt in search of a lost tomb,an amateur magician comes along with them and the Tomb is guarded by a Mummy who'll kill anyone who enters it.Not exactly a sequel to the 1932 movie The Mummy and not exactly a remake either,instead of Imhotep,its a new Mummy called Kharis,the first mummy film focused on the Mummy in human form where as this film focuses on The Mummy in bandages,Karloff's creepy performance really made that film and he's very sorely missed here,not a great film but it does entertain.
½ October 22, 2010
"We've stumbled upon something that will make us rich and famous." Dick Foran and his bumbling partner-in-grave robbing Wallace Ford look to make some quick cash in this so-so follow up to the classic Boris Karloff Universal spooker. And Karloff is sorely missed. Sure, this is the film that spawned the popular image of the shambling bandaged terror but the monster is missing for most of the picture, and as enjoyably goofy as the archaeologists are audiences are there for the creature and we need more creature. VF.
½ October 5, 2010
One of the better Mummy sequels I've seen. Although The Mummy's Hand features the mummy himself very little, the screen presence and comic relief of the two main protagonists are endearing enough to carry what little story there is. It's simple, but enjoyable. Wallace Ford is great as the dopey schemer Babe, in particular. I also feel like this is a film that "The Mummy" remake with Brendan Frasier borrowed very heavily from, and is interesting to see from that perspective.
May 23, 2010
A great movie and great sequel which is hard to find in todays movies
½ May 15, 2010
With their other monster franchises going strong, Universal decided to resurrect a long dead monster right before the outbreak of World War II. This monster is of course The Mummy, perhaps the most overlooked of all the Universal monsters. This sequel to the 1932 classic starring Boris Karloff doesn't feature the same cloth wrapped foe Im-Ho-Tep. This time we get a mummy named Kharis in the form of Western legend Tom Tyler and a whole new story line would start for a total of four films.

The film opens with plenty of stock footage from the original Mummy with showing the story of Kharis and his forbidden love for a princess. Like the original he gets caught and is buried alive. Cut to 1940 and we are introduced to two struggling archeologists who buy a broken vase because it has an inscription about the tomb of a Princess Ananka. They seek financial support from a wealthy magician and his daughter and head out to the desert only to find the tomb of Kharis, who becomes resurrected with the aid of a solution of Tana leaves to get revenge.

The Mummy never got the respect from Universal horror fans compared to the other monsters and Universal treated the monster the same way with this ultra cheap film. Everything about this film is second rate like Universal just wanted to throw a quickly mummy film together without much effort. We have stock footage from the original Mummy shamelessly used and played off as new footage. The only thing different about these scenes is the close-ups of Karloff are replaced by Tyler! The music is also lifted from previous Universal monster films and the sets are recycled from Universal's jungle ddventure Green Hell. There is also no scrolls with magic mumbo jumbo as this time our mummy is resurrected by tea, yes, tea leaves! Sure it was a "unique" idea on how to resurrect the mummy but I found it just a little laugh inducing. The film is also filled with a lot of comic relief from our sidekick archeologist Wallace Ford but most of it falls flat. His joke about Jackals and Jackasses being first cousins and about the same thing made me hit my forehead. All this is crammed into a film barely over an hour long, further proving the lack of effort that went into it.

Despite this films many flaws, it still fulfilled a child-hood wanting that the first film didn't. This sequel has a shambling mummy walking around killing people! The original Mummy only had Karloff in the mummy makeup for a very short period of time. Not this film! The make-up on the mummy is also fantastic, making this perhaps the best looking mummy of the entire Universal franchise. Universal also went in after the film was completed and frame-by-frame blackened out the eyes of Tom Tyler giving the mummy an even more creepy appearance.

This is a B-movie by all means and a cheap cash-in by Universal to bring back one of their classic monsters. Even with all the flaws I actually had a very good time with this film. The characters, other than some lame comic relief, were likable and the mummy was nice and creepy. Plus we get our first shambling, stalking mummy on film! Fans of B-monster movies are encouraged to check it out. Like I mentioned before the storyline of this film would be carried on into three more films: The Mummy's Tomb, The Mummy's Ghost, and The Mummy's Curse proving that even though Universal showed no respect to this film, it still made a ton of money. Legendary British horror studio Hammer would even remake this film, along with the first follow-up The Mummy's Tomb, into the 1959 film "The Mummy" starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.