Muppet Treasure Island - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Muppet Treasure Island Reviews

½ June 10, 2015
The ever funny Jim Henson characters in an amusing screenplay of Robert L.Stevenson classic tale.Piece of eight
January 12, 2015
Another re-telling of a classic tale through Muppet-vision: lots of jokes & gags, song & dance, and my favourite--the 4th wall break ("He's dead?! This is supposed to be a kids movie!"). The Gonzo & Rizzo team is always fun, and Tim Curry is excellent, of course. I also thoroughly enjoyed the vacationing rats using the ship for a pleasure cruise!
½ October 16, 2014
not the best some funny parts
September 27, 2014
Following the successful MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL, Brian Henson directed another literary adaptation with the Muppets, this time Robert Louis Stevenson's TREASURE ISLAND. The marriage between the two isn't quite as smooth as in the former film, though, mainly because Dickens' tale, in a way, had a "spiritual" connection to the Muppets' humor. In that case, the blend was well suited. Here the results seem at odds, because Stevenson's tale is rather gritty and doesn't really call for humor. As such, MUPPET TREASURE ISLAND can feel somewhat schizophrenic at times, featuring surprisingly dark bits (a character dies at the beginning) at one moment, and sidesplitting humor the next (the "Cabin Fever" sequence, arguably the funniest scene in the picture.) That said, this film still offers a lot of entertainment value: the songs, as usual, are excellent and well-suited to the fabric of the story, and Tim Curry is delightfully devious as the villainous Long John Silver. He tears into the role with zest and villainy, and the chemistry between him and young Kevin Bishop as Jim Hawkins is great. The Muppets seem more like side-characters here, however, since the narrative arc focuses mostly on the Jim-Silver conflict. (One could say the same about MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL, too, but again, that's only because the match was ideal.) Still, it's fun to watch Kermit as a ship's captain having a sword fight with Curry at the film's climax, and as usual, Gonzo and Rizzo are a riot. Despite the sometimes jarring mixture of the material with the silly humor and uneven tone shifts, MUPPET TREASURE ISLAND is nonetheless great fun.
September 2, 2014
The muppets are back again!!! Love em! I think pirates of the carrabbean copied this movie because same music at the beginning of the movie. Fozzy first then beaker and other guy that's green. Why is Kermit at the ship part, his always a the beginning of the movie!! Miss piggy had perfect timing. He's back from the dead blue bird
½ August 30, 2014
Ridiculous? Yes. Fun? Also yes.
August 29, 2014
Great movie, great songs (even if one or two are filler), great acting, great comedy, and yes, there are a few boring bits, but watch it a second time and you'll probably gloss over them because you'll know how much good stuff is right around the corner.
A must-see for any Muppet fan and a must-see for anyone who calls themselves a Tim Curry fan. Meaning everyone.
August 27, 2014
The best Muppet movie ever
August 22, 2014
I smell a bozo.

Kermit and his friends are treasure hunting freedom fighters that thwart off countless attacks from pirates. Can Kermit and his friends find the treasure and keep it from the pirates or will a new super pirate emerge that Kermit and his friends can't stop?

"I hate my life."
"I hate your life. If I had a life, I'd hate my life too if I had one."

Brian Henson, director The Muppet Christmas Carol, Jack and the Beanstalk: The Real Story, and episodes of Sid the Science Kid and Nightmares & Dreamscapes, delivers Muppet Treasure Island. The storyline for this picture was just okay and not overly interesting. The acting was as you'd expect for the genre and the cast included Tim Curry, Billy Connolly, and Frank Oz.

"Aren't you supposed to be fighting against us?"
"Are you kidding? I love you guys!"

I watched this with my daughter about a week ago off Netflix. We didn't enjoy this as much as Muppets: The Movie, but it was still fun to watch unfold. Overall, this is worth a viewing but nothing special.

"The one legged man brings death."

Grade: C+/B-
½ August 16, 2014
(First viewing - Childhood)
½ August 15, 2014
I like the songs and most of the characters but it's lost its charm from Jim. But still it's worth seeing once.
August 5, 2014
A pretty fun spoof of pirate movies. You know it would have had Jack Sparrow jokes if it was made ten years later. While in typical Muppet fashion its often pretty funny but is one of the weaker Muppet flicks because it feels like it has too much Treasure Island and not enough Muppets
July 23, 2014
Solid classic from my childhood, I don't care whatever problems there are. 4/5 Great
July 17, 2014
That Cabin Fever song will be stuck in my head for the next two weeks.
July 12, 2014
One of the best, Jim Henson would be Proud!
July 11, 2014
For a Muppet movie, it's not very Muppet, although it still has the same energy and gags as any other movie.
½ July 2, 2014
My Worst Muppet Movie.C-
June 25, 2014
Can you ever get enough of the Muppets? Don't answer that. Let's just go with my answer to that one: no, you can't. Give me a stack of Muppet movies -- the good, the bad and the ugly -- and I'll give you my thanks. The Great Muppet Caper and Muppet Treasure Island aren't the greatest Muppet outings, I'll admit, but they have their charms, be it heist-y or pirate-y.
June 25, 2014
Equally as flat and straight-forward as its source material, Muppet Treasure Island still manages to get across the passion and energy the franchise has been known for, partially due to full role commitment from Tim Curry.
½ June 17, 2014
It makes good use of Tim Curry as well as a funny script. The movie never achieves greatness, but it's the muppets. What you see is what you get. I don't think Robert Louis Stevenson would be too appalled by this charming film.