Murder at the Gallop - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Murder at the Gallop Reviews

November 10, 2015
Much better than the first Marple movie. That one drags, whereas this one is light and fun and simple. And Rutherford seems much more comfortable in the role.
September 11, 2015
a classic miss marple film with the legendary margaret rutherfordv as miss marple from the pen of the late great agatha christie a real legend
August 24, 2012
The fact that I guessed very early who the culprit was is not a good sign.
February 4, 2012
Absolutely love Margaret Rutherford. Miss Marple should do the twist more often. And the harpsichord needs to make more of an appearance in pop music.
January 20, 2012
I adore these Margaret Rutherford Agatha Christie's.
January 18, 2012
A cozy crime story for a rainy afternoon. I usually don't like the Miss Marple stories by Agatha Christie very much, but the movies with Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple are always a delightful watch.
October 22, 2011
Such a wonderful movie! Margaret plays very well, as always! I love the fact that in this movie Miss Marple mentions Agatha Christie's books as the source of her imagination. I wish this movie was in colors.
June 30, 2011
I'm a huge fan of Agatha Christie and Miss Marple is by far and away my favourite of her creations. The finest portrayal of this character is without doubt that of Joan Hickson in the BBC TV series which nailed the character perfectly. Margaret Rutherford was about as far away from the character as written as it is possible to be and yet, she is fantastic in this movie and others in the series directed by George Pollock. These movies are basically good, old-fashioned British comedies, packed with comic touches and full of stalwarts of the post-war film industry.
Rutherford is the kind of dotty, busybody pantomime dame that we love. Never better than when tottering on top of a crate of Mackeson stout so she can peer through a window or faking heart attack after dancing the twist in a bid to snare the murderer. Her great big, jowly, St. Bernard's face wobbling away under a preposterous hat is a joy to behold and she delivers her lines with perfect comic timing.
Crisply shot, and with a magical 60's score, this film is a delightful piece of entertainment, every bit as good as I remember it from first seeing it as a child.
½ February 20, 2011
Rutherford is excellent as Miss Marple in this b and w 60s version of the Agatha Christie murder mystery. Strong cast of supports make this tale of a serial killer loose in an English village enjoyable entertainment. There were three films made with Rutherford as Miss Marple. The bouncy theme tune is by Ron Grainer. In beautiful b/w. Recommended
February 2, 2011
I love these Miss Marple films, great actors, some great lines and consistently sublime performances from Margaret Rutherford (who will always be the best Marple for me). Watching them is like slipping on a old pair of comfortable slippers
½ January 19, 2011
Enjoyable, amusing, and competently made standard whodunit in the Miss Marple series.
April 2, 2010
I love Miss Marple Movies they are so suspensful, bewichting and funny Margaret Rutherford is hillarious and i love the Title Song
½ January 30, 2010
not bad miss marple mystery yarn
½ October 4, 2009
great actresses here in margaret rutherford and flora robson but clearly not used to their full potential
October 4, 2009
Rutherford once again plays a spritely Miss Marple for an enjoyable Agatha Christie mystery.
October 4, 2009
wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch.....its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie....i think that margaret rutherford, stringer davis, robert morley, flora robson, charles "Bud" tingwell, gordon harris play good roles/parts throughout this movie...i think that the director of this murder/mystery/made for tv/drama movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie this is a good thriller movie 2 watch n its an really enjoyable movie 2 watch
April 16, 2009
one of 4 black and white who dunnit comedies good to watch on a rainy tuesday afternoon
½ March 29, 2009
I was delighted to see this adaptation with a bit more brisk Miss Marple. Couldn't imagine the one played by Geraldine McEwan climbing windows and ahorseback :)
March 25, 2009
he second in a series of Miss Marple films produced by MGM during the 1960's, starring the inimitable Margaret Rutherford as Agatha Christie's super sleuth. This one is based upon Christie's After the Funeral (a Poirot book), it's a short film, as not as good as the other films, but it makes for an enjoyable hour or so. Whilst collecting for charity, Miss Jane Marple (Rutherford) and her companion Mr. Stringer (Stringer Davis) witness the death of the wealthy old Mr. Enderby (Finlay Currie), who appears to have been "frightened to death by a cat." Marple suspects foul play, much to the chagrin of Inspector Craddock (Charles 'Bud' Tingwell). Marple goes undercover at boarding house and riding school The Gallop, where Enderby's relatives have gathered at to hear the reading of the will. Miss Marple suspects that one of the family members may have murdered Old Enderby, and then more deaths occur. It's a low-key affair, but an enjoyable film, it doesn't outstay it's welcome, and it's blessed with Rutherford's show-stealing performance as Marple, brilliant dialogue and appearences from Robert Morley and Flora Robson.