Murder Most Foul - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Murder Most Foul Reviews

January 26, 2009
The third in a series of four Miss Marple films produced by MGM during the 1960's, in which the inimitable Margaret Rutherford played Agatha Christie's legendary super sleuth. The films had alot of emphasis on comedy, but this one benefits from having a very good supporting cast. Loosely based on Christie's story 'Mrs. McGinty's Dead', this has Marple joining a local theatrical troupe, as she investigates the murder of a barmaid who had links with the troupe, led by the hammy H. Driffold Cosgood (a wonderful Ron Moody). But, as Marple makes her investigations during the rehearsals of Cosgood's new play, the body count goes up... Rutherford made a wonderful Miss Marple, playing it with humour, intelligence and confidence. The original story by Christie was actually a Poriot story, but it was changed for the screen for it to suit Marple for reasons unknown. But, it doesn't matter. It makes for a very good film, and Rutherford is complimented by a very good supporting cast which also includes Charles 'Bud' Tingwell as Inspector Craddock, James Bolam as angry-young-man Bill Hanson and Terry Scott as Police Constable Wells. :P
½ January 19, 2009
I love Margaret Rutherford's eccentric interpretation of Miss Marple and this film gives her free rein to realy 'ham' it up. Here she solves a murder mystery in the world of amatuer dramatics and has great verbal sparring bouts throughout with the brilliant Ron Moody. Love Terry Scott's village bobby too!
½ July 26, 2008
Another entertaining Miss Marple film.
June 15, 2008
Love a lot of the old films, and maragaret rutherford is perfect for the miss marple part !
May 19, 2008
I just adore these Marple movies starring Margaret Rutherford. There are so many ways to play Miss Marple and this one of my favourite portrayals! These don't follow the books terribly closely but they work just as well. Very cute and quite amusing murder mysteries! Highly Recommended!
March 18, 2008
Brilliant! (Based on Agatha Christie's Mrs McGinty's Dead) it was a pleasure to watch and an enjoyable movie...
December 24, 2007
All four films are excellent, they all show that films do not need to have multiple edits and shouting all the time to be good. Well worth catching - they seem to repeating them a lot on TCM.
December 11, 2007
Not as good as the first two in the series, but still a lot of fun.
October 22, 2007
It's Margaret Rutherford..nuff said brilliance
½ October 15, 2007
Mrs. Marple (Rutherford) goes undercover as an actress in a third-rate theatre company to prove a man innocent of murder while catching the real killer by solving a mystery with origins more than 15 years in the past.

"Murder Most Foul" is a fine little murder mystery/comedy that was loosely adapted from Agatha Christie's novel "Mrs. McGinty is Dead". Once again, Margaret Rutherford gives a fantastic performance as the feisty, never-takes-no-for-an-answer Miss Marple. The comedy of the film gets even more pointed when the hammy director of the theatre company (played with great flair by Ron Moody, who is the only actor in the film who manages to be as flamboyant and fun to watch as star Rutherford) casts her as a lady detecitve in a murder play, so Miss Marple, the amatuer detective, is called upon to play an amatuer detective while pretending to be an actress.

"Murder Most Foul" is a fun, lighthearted mystery movie featuring a cast with a level of talent that doesn't seem to exist anymore. (The way Ron Moody manages to mix diffused menace with a completely casual attitude, or the way he can deliver a line that shows how his character changes his mood in mid-sentance is a display of craft that we simply don't see in movies anymore.)

Murder Most Foul
Starring: Margaret Rutherford, Ron Moody, Charles Tingwell, and Stringer Davis
Director: George Pollock
September 30, 2007
I enjoyed this. "My" Miss Marple will always be Joan Hickson, but Margaret Rutherford was ok in this film.
September 5, 2007
I love these films, she was brilliant
August 4, 2007
A classic. Margaret Rutherford is not my idea of the perfect Miss. Marple but she is a wonderful actress & can be quite funny.
July 23, 2007
my all time favoutrite. i have seen the 4 films with miss marple a hundred times. she is my hero. simply love those movies.