Murder on the Orient Express - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Murder on the Orient Express Reviews

January 1, 2018
An elegant and star-studded adaptation that's mostly faithful to one of the greatest crime novels of all time.
December 17, 2017
Comparando esta versi˛n con la de este a˝o, esta sale ganado, muy disfrutable y Ógil direcci˛n.
½ December 17, 2017
Good story with a great cast doing great work.....what is not to like?
½ December 15, 2017
This movie is the worst movie i think i have ever seen. It was so predictable and boring. way too long and there are long boring conversations that have nothing to do with the movie and lead to nowhere. I almost fell asleep and asked for a refund. The ending was terrible the only good part was 30 seconds long and the sunsets. i wish i could give this a 0 star
½ December 12, 2017
Great cast but boring plot
½ November 26, 2017
Almost nine decades after Agatha Christie's novel was first published, Murder on the Orient Express still stands as one of the all-time great murder mysteries. Sidney Lumet's 1974 adaptation is the kind of old Hollywood production we rarely see anymore. A 'whodunnit' with an all-star cast, exotic locations, lavish costumes and gorgeous cinematography. David Suchet will always be Poirot to me, but I do enjoy Albert Finney's over-the-top performance here. He carries the movie well, and does a great job of bringing Poirot's eccentricities to life. Needless to say, the supporting cast could be one of the very best ever assembled. Sean Connery, Ingrid Bergman, Lauren Bacall, Anthony Perkins, Vanessa Redgrave. The list goes on, and each of them bring their characters to life wonderfully. Lumet does a perfect job balancing all the characters and keeping the story moving, with a script that contains plenty of sharp, fun dialogue for his actors to chew up. The pace does tend to slow down in the second act when the movie becomes a series of interviews, but I've always enjoyed every performance so much that it never really bothered me. Even though it was made almost 50 years ago, Murder on the Orient Express remains a movie that, despite its flaws, I love revisiting over and over again.
November 19, 2017
The story manages to stay on track throughout the entire movie. Good cast, but I feel as if Albert Finney's character could have had more natural dialogue as it was hard to understand hime sometimes. Nevertheless, great film with a classic mystery!
November 17, 2017
old school murder mystery on a train with a sneaky french detective solving the shit out of it
½ November 16, 2017
The 1974 cinematic adaptation of Murder on the Orient Express is a perfectly solid, but highly flawed one. The first act is overlong, but the score, costumes and cinematography are all excellent and deservedly Oscar nominated. The film is engaging, faithful to its source material and with a particularly spectacular ensemble cast with everyone being well cast and giving a great performance with Oscar-winning Ingrid Bergman being the highlight. But Albert Finney is the only weak link. He is just not Poirot. He doesn't act or look like him at all. Very bad casting coupled with terrible characterization made the most important character feel alien here.
November 15, 2017
A Classic. Great stars and terrific acting from the who's who of film. Beautiful set and perfect costumes. This movie is a gem. Albert Finney is superb. Much better than the new 2017 one.
½ November 14, 2017
Finney is nowhere near as good as Suchet, but let's not split hairs.
November 14, 2017
Watched this after seeing the 2017 version and it pales in comparison. :/
November 13, 2017
1974 film version of the Agatha Christie story. What with a new 2017 version hitting the cinema I decided to check this star studded version out.
That was one of the gripes I had with this film. It was made in another era and therefore I didn't physically recognise some of the star names with the exception of Sean Connery of course!
The production looks lavish. Director Sidney Lumet is perhaps best known for his jury drama '12 Angry Men' in the black and white era. I watched and was extremely impressed with that film so I perhaps expected more here.
Albert Finney plays detective Hercule Poirot complete with slicked back hair and elaborate moustache!
Finney is unrecognizable from his role of Kincade in the 2012 James Bond movie 'Skyfall.'
I've never been really into detective films/dramas and never indulged in Cleudo despite been married to a Mrs. Peacock.
I will probably check out the latest version which boasts an equal all-star cast.
I made the mistake of attempting to watch 'Blade Runner 2049' before watching the original 'Blade Runner' film so was determined to not make the same mistake again.
The big name cast adds some glamour to what is otherwise a pretty dull screenplay. I mean there is only so much you can do in a single railway carriage with 12 suspects to a murder.
I'm glad I watched this version first. I'm hoping it will increase the experience of watching the new 2017 version.
November 12, 2017
Albert Finney's performance is over the top, but mostly enjoyable, as it is the film's progression just as the genre main focus demands, and although there's zero to non-action in Sidney Lumet's detective-thriller, its cast makes up for the lack of mainstream development, since every aspect of the film relays on their direction and pacing, and at the end of the day, it pays off, even when the ending may represent a divisive result in regards for a general conclusion.
November 11, 2017
***BACALL-BERGMAN-CONNERY-FINNEY-GIELGUD-HILLER-PERKINS-REDGRAVE-WIDMARK!!! ***
November 9, 2017
based on the popular story by Agatha Christie 'Murder on the Orient Express' takes place in the 1930's with several passengers aboard a train in Europe
during the trip a man is murdered and the train is stuck near a snow avalanche
Hercule Poirot is then asked to investigate the mystery and everyone is a suspect
do they all have something in common with one another? was the crime committed by one assailant or more? the opening also lays the foundation for a small girl who died years prior so that may have a deep connection as well
it's a very big cast with some of the 1970's most popular talent from Albert Finney to Vanessa Redgrave to Anthony Perkins to Sean Connery
keep in mind this is more of an ol'-fashioned murder mystery and it's very dialogue-heavy but it's interesting to see this detective piece together everything leading to one hell of a reveal
the actors are top-notch, the suspense is clever, and it feels more light-hearted than today's darker stories
still a classic case of who-dunnit at it's finest
November 1, 2017
This has been one of my favorite movies since I first saw in 5th grade! The production is great, the cinematography is awesome, the performances are brilliant! The only real flaw in my eyes is that Albert Finney's portrayal of Poirot is a little less great compared to David Suchet and Peter Ustinov. Nevertheless, a basically perfect film!
October 20, 2017
Was a very unique premise with unquestionably interesting twists, but too much convolution in my opinion. The film definitely feels dated and it was low on thrills. Albert Finney does very well with his lead character and the film keeps you guessing. The payoff seemed a bit weak but again...it was unique
½ August 7, 2017
Christie's flaws as a writer are only magnified in the film adaptions of her work (In short, she cheats a lot) and this one is no exception. That being said, Finney's Poirot is delightful.
July 3, 2017
I think it's great that this production attracted high-caliber talent like Bacall and Berman, even if some of the cast is under-utilized. The staging is fantastic. While taking a train in real life, I realized how romanticized my idea of train travel is thanks to Murder on the Orient Express. The twists of the murder mystery might be well known even to first-time viewers, but I still think watching the pieces fall into place is a lot of fun. After forty years, and several other adaptations of the story, this is still my favorite version.