Murder on the Orient Express - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Murder on the Orient Express Reviews

½ August 7, 2017
Christie's flaws as a writer are only magnified in the film adaptions of her work (In short, she cheats a lot) and this one is no exception. That being said, Finney's Poirot is delightful.
July 3, 2017
I think it's great that this production attracted high-caliber talent like Bacall and Berman, even if some of the cast is under-utilized. The staging is fantastic. While taking a train in real life, I realized how romanticized my idea of train travel is thanks to Murder on the Orient Express. The twists of the murder mystery might be well known even to first-time viewers, but I still think watching the pieces fall into place is a lot of fun. After forty years, and several other adaptations of the story, this is still my favorite version.
June 19, 2017
The story is engrossing, Albert Finney is exceptional, the cast is excellent, and Sidney Lumet's direction is skillful.
June 19, 2017
Sidney Lumet's assured directing and the star-filled cast over come this Agatha Christie adaptation's overall slightness.
½ May 10, 2017
A little bit of a revenge fantasy dressed up with loads of star power. Unfortunately the story is lame and unbelievable. Still its good to see the stars out. Ingrid Bergman and Albert Finney actually take the trouble to bother to act.
April 8, 2017
I need to see this again.
September 13, 2016
Classic old fasioned whodunit based of the Agatha Christie novel of the same name. The cast is superb and Lumets direction is unquestionable brilliant. That finale where the clues are put together keeps you glued to the screen with every new beat. This is a pinnacle in detective films and I wish every film had this brilliance, who get swept up in the story that you forget to find the clues yourself.
August 27, 2016
I had many issues with this movie. I guess mystery novels should remain books,because it's obvious most of the time they can't turn into satisfying movies. This is the case with "Murder on the Orient Express". It's one of the most satisfying and well written novels of Agatha Christie but it didn't translate successfully on the big screen. The cast was incedible though I had my issues with Finney's portrayal of Poirot, I thought his Poirot didn't match the original Belgian detective's character. Overall I think the movie managed to kill much of the mystery while feeling quite long and dragging.
½ August 20, 2016
Nothing short of brilliant!
August 16, 2016
A definitive classic and novel adaptation about a famed detective investigating a murder, with a great twist. Starring the great Albert Finney.
½ June 25, 2016
Had no idea it was Albert Finney until I saw the credits! Excellent suspense and I agree: points for "atmosphere, period detail, and richness of characterization."
May 9, 2016
Sidney Lumet's magnificent whodunit is a elegant and lavish production which is based upon Agatha Christie's best selling novel. An unrecognizable Albert Finney delivers a sensationally compelling performance that earned him a richly deserved Academy Award nomination for Best Actor, playing the brilliant and dapper Belgian detective Hercule Poirot who on board the famous Orient Express that is traveling from Istanbul to Calais and is now snowbound. During this period one of the passengers is mysteriously murdered, and Poirot agrees to investigate hoping to find the killer before the police reach the snowbound train. Soon it will turn out that everybody has something to hide including the victim himself. The late great Lumet's exceptional direction draws superlative performances from the large international cast which includes Lauren Becall, Sir Sean Connery, Martin Balsam, Vanessa Redgrave, Jacqueline Bisset, Richard Widmark, Jean-Pierre Cassel, Sir John Gielgud, Wendy Hiller, Anthony Perkins, Rachel Roberts, Michael York, and Ingrid Bergman in a standout Oscar winning performance as a dim-witted, bible quoting Swedish missionary. A visually stunning film thanks to the late Geoffrey Unsworth remarkable cinematography, and a majestic Oscar nominated musical score by the late Sir Richard Rodney Bennett, with beautiful Oscar nominated period costume design, and a flawless production design by Tony Walton. An Incomparable cinematic classic which is also an engrossing motion picture that was nominated for 6 Academy Awards nominations including Best Actor: Albert Finney. Highly Recommended.
½ May 5, 2016
One of the best casts ever assembled for a whodunnit. The production value is great. And the plot has a lot of good twists, too. Agatha Christie approved.
May 1, 2016
Very strong cast and a surprising Poirot from Albert Finney. Good story but not as much action or scenery as I'd have liked from a train film.
½ March 29, 2016
La primera gran adaptación fílmica de una novela de Agatha Christie, dirigida por Sidney Lumet, nos presenta al gran detective belga Hercules Poirot (interpretado de manera casi patética por Albert Finney), resolviendo un asesinato en el Expreso de Oriente que incluye a 12 sospechosos. El reparto es exquisito: Ingrid Bergman, Vanessa Redgrave, Lauren Bacall, Sir John Gielgud, Jean-Pierre Cassel, Sean Connery, Michael York, Jacqueline Bisset, Anthony Perkins... ¿qué más puede pedir un fanático del cine? La dirección es sólida, la dirección de arte maravillosa y el final sorpresivo sigue siendo efectivo.
March 12, 2016
A classic murder mystery film that holds up pretty well (though some may be disappointed by the lack of thrills). Because of the size of the ensemble, we only get brief moments with each character, but the star-studded cast easily makes each one memorable. Most of the film is spent on establishing the various characters' backgrounds and their interviews with Detective Poirot. Then the last half hour is basically Poirot giving a long speech. Things turn out to be a lot more complicated than they appear and those who are able to get invested will find it quite intriguing.
February 18, 2016
Great, star-studded adaptation of the classic Agatha Christie novel.

It is 1934 and master-detective Hercule Poirot is travelling from Istanbul to France on the Orient Express. On the first night the man in the next compartment is murdered. Once he starts investigating, Poirot faces a barrage of conflicting clues and potential motives.

A great whodunnit, one of the best. The murderer is not at all obvious. As you go deeper and deeper into the movie, the plot gets thicker and thicker, but without any clear guilty party emerging. Great, unforeseen twist at the end. Fantastic story-writing by Agatha Christie, well translated to screen by director Sydney Lumet and his cast and crew.

On the subject of cast, it is quite amazing - certainly one of the most star-studded every assembled for a movie. Just about every name is an icon of the silver screen - Albert Finney (as Poirot), Lauren Bacall, Ingrid Bergman, Sean Connery, John Gielgud, Michael York, Jacqueline Bisset, Martin Balsam, Anthony Perkins, Richard Widmark.

None of them put a foot wrong,

Ingrid Bergman got a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her performance, but I'm not sure why. While she puts in a solid performance, she hardly stood out from the rest.

Albert Finney got a Best Actor Oscar nomination for his performance, though I think his makeup artist deserved it more - he was unrecognisable while playing Poirot.
½ February 10, 2016
Finally watched this one after having it on my list for years. It's a decent film, but what an all-star cast. Finney was a bit over the top for my taste but it was fun seeing all these stars, with Ingrid Bergman picking up her 3rd Oscar for this film. A good story and strong production value. I liked it, but didn't love it, certainly worth a watch for sure though.
December 29, 2015
The classic Agatha Christie vehicle a mysterious murder during the night while passengers are traveling on the Orient Express.

There are way too many characters & it can get a little confusing but it's worth the time cause the twist is terrific.

Filled to the rim with an all star cast of both old & new of Hollywood Actors it's just enjoyable enough to watch the actors. A little slow & confusing but overall entertaining.