Murphy's Romance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Murphy's Romance Reviews

½ April 26, 2016
Recently separated, a single mom and her teen son move to a small town where she befriends Murphy, the local pharmacist. When her estranged husband returns to find her, mom must decide between the level headed Murphy or her son's immature father.
August 24, 2015
A cute movie with nice performances all around from James Gardner, Sally Field, and Corey Haim
August 22, 2015
An impeccably written romance with an utterly charming performance from Garner to totally win over Field and audiences alike!
½ September 3, 2014
Too slow of a burn, never really gets going or stands out, but not a bad film.
July 22, 2014
A good honist love story, timless.
May 28, 2014
one last chance for love for him, the first time for her
½ May 21, 2014
Could not make it past the first half hour! If rating this a zero was possible than I would have done so. Life is too short to waste your time on this crap!
½ January 13, 2014
This fall-spring relationship may be a little bit difficult to understand but James Garner ends up being charming enough to win over Sally Field. One suspects this is due to a lack of options. Very sweet rather than creepy.
½ November 12, 2013
good romance and family drama. sally field and james garner have very good believable chemistry and corey haim is great as her son. this movie is a definite classic :)
March 22, 2013
Before Bill Murray/Scarlett Johansson's odd pairing, we had Sally Field/James Garner... and while 'Murphy's Romance' isn't nearly as good as 'Lost in Translation,' the acting is top notch, as is the chemistry between the two leads.
March 16, 2013
A really nice little love story type film. I'm not gonna lie and say it doesn't end in cliche city, but the cast make it a lot of fun. Field is a great lead in the woman who doesn't really know what she wants in life, but Garner steals every second he's on film. His dry humor just makes him one of the best things about this film. Even the X-husband comes off very likable, not the obvious jerk choice she shouldn't consider, so it gives a solid love triangle.

I never knew Haim was in this and he's pretty good in this, but not really given much to do. Makes me miss the guy seeing him in an early role and all.

And props go to for actually showing FRIDAY THE 13th 3 in this when they all go to the movies.
Oddly, the film is rated PG-13, yet it features a death scene from that film, f-bombs and even nudity, so I figured watching this it was R.
February 28, 2013
My favorite rom-com. The soundtrack reeks of the '80s, but James Garner, as always, delivers.
December 7, 2012
Looks interesting will try to find and watch!
December 2, 2012
You can't go wrong with James Garner.
December 2, 2012
You can't go wrong with James Garner.
½ September 4, 2012
Garner and Fields got this right, and gave fine performances. An Autumn and Summer romance that is sure to please.
½ June 23, 2012
I rarely enjoy "romantic" movies, but this one is good and the best of its type. I felt like I knew the characters all my life and had grown up with them.
½ May 12, 2012
This movie was very slow moving and had a disappointing ending. I can't recommend it.
½ March 31, 2012
This little unobtrusive film made 27 years old is about a romantic love story between a divorced woman and an elderly widower, its western scenery might has already lost its vigor as time goes by and pretty much old-fashioned from our current maxim of aesthetics to define a must-see classic, it certainly has its appeal for a joyful evening viewing even just for some light entertainment with two beautifully all-over-the-place leading performances.

An older-man-with-younger-woman romantic is nothing new and still now it has been considered a preferential relationship mode for our society to endure the time erosion (MODERN FAMILY is the role model here), but its morally self-consciousness could endanger the audience's acceptance and fortunately MURPHY'S ROMANCE has made itself a paradigmatic model against the 27-years age difference.

Two Hollywood old timers take on the leading roles, Sally Field, a two-times Oscar winner (for NORMA RAE 1979 and PLACES IN THE HEART 1985) in her heyday (who might not suffer from the same magnitude of deprecating panning like the limitedly-talented Hilary Swank), gives another passionate performance on which she tags a shade of sincere comedic flavor. James Garner, who has earned his first and only Oscar nomination so far, levels off as a constant warmth and charm generator, contrast to Brian Kerwin's viciously good looking ex-husband, which occasions a feasible option for Field's character and also minifies the happy-endings' corny predictability. Also the gone-too-soon Carey Haim is a gem in the film, in a world copious of repellent children, he is so adorable and rare to be seen on the screen nowadays.
December 4, 2011
Very good movie :) A nice movie to watch on a rainy day when there's nothing else to do. Gardner & Field were great in this movie :)