Music of the Heart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Music of the Heart Reviews

June 6, 2016
Meryl Streep's over the top performance overcomes a formulaic and dull script.
March 17, 2016
This is a great movie to take a nap by, if you can get past the scenes off violin-teaching and the abrupt departure of the leading man. Snooooooze! And by the way, the "crtics consensus" here hardly reflects the opinions expressed by your top reviewers.
September 19, 2015
A beautiful anomaly in the filmography of a famous horror director, Meryl Streep's inspired performance about bringing music into young people's lives is a great feelgood movie.
½ September 12, 2015
Despite some genre clichés and uneven pacing, MUSIC OF THE HEART is still a heartwarming, inspirational story about the transformative power of music.
September 1, 2015
It's a sweet movie with another great performance from Meryl Streep and great supporting work from Angela Bassett. It sometimes falls into the typical music teacher movie tropes that Mr. Holland's Opus had too especially the big concert ending but all and all it is a very touching movie and a vast turn for director Wes Craven
August 18, 2015
Very good! and Wes Craven directs it which had me like "say what?"
July 25, 2015
Sentiimental. Yes. Painful to the ears. Yes, that too. But a nice warm story of a woman who wanted to do good in East-Harlem for the kids and who did. Based on a real story with a finale in the Carnegie Hall. Respect.
½ July 8, 2015
I'm surprised Rotten Tomatoes didn't give it a higher grade. They should know better. This was a fantastic movie that deserved a Fresh rating
June 29, 2015
Truly for the heart.
½ April 20, 2015
An odd choice for usual horror mongol Wes Craven, Music of the heart still has a strong performance by Meryl Streep along with enough heart to elevate it beyond the predictability
½ March 30, 2015
Entertaining and held together by a great performance from Streep. However, the unusual selection of Wes Craven as director leads the film to feel oddly edited at times, and far too sentimental. You can feel Craven yelling in your ear 'I can direct non horror movies!'.
Based on a true story, however, you can't help but feel the movie is ignoring the glaring question. How do you get kids from East Harlem and the Bronx interested in the Violin? The film doesn't show much in the way of a battle to engage the kids. Even their behaviour is remarkably good most of the time. In fact, the only damage to a violin is perpetrated by her son during a tantrum.
The film also weakens itself by having a terribly written music teacher, Mr Rausch, who is simply there to be a pain.
The kids also display amazing intonation on their instruments.
But the film is still enjoyable enough and worth a look. Just don't eat any dairy before hand, as you don't want to over do it on cheese.
½ February 8, 2015
Between a 6/10 and 7/10, so sloppily and unabashedly sentimental that it can make you laugh and cry at the same time -- and often at the same things. Who would have thought Wes Craven was capable of such a thing.
½ January 1, 2015
For anyone who has ever been told their dreams are out of reach.
September 1, 2014
Yet another "white woman saves the children" film, MUSIC OF THE HEART was leaning on the border of overdone soapy sentimentality and dramatic feats. It hums a very familiar tune but that doesn't mean you will hate it. It involves Roberta Guasipri, a single mother who is just as ordinary as the next woman. She conflicts with self-pity and becomes the a violin teacher at a school with struggling students.

Predictable? Yes. Emotionally manipulative? Nearly. With that saying, I didn't love this movie. It was something I have seen in billions of other movies. However, it doesn't fail. This will please people or make them a bit annoyed. Wes Craven should stick to (better) horror films but with this, he makes it enjoyable.

Meryl Streep received her twelfth Oscar nomination for this role. In some aspects, I can see why she got it and agree. She doesn't make Roberta into a one-dimensional, whiny character. Streep makes her ordinary and passionate and also a person with flaws, which makes Streep extraordinary. At the same time, this isn't one of her strongest roles. Out of all of her Oscar nominations, I would say that this and Adaptation impressed me the least. It wasn't anything special. Nonetheless, she is the film's heart and soul. Angela Bassett is also strong here, more than I expected.

MUSIC OF THE HEART isn't a great film and forgettable but at the moment, you cant help but like it a little bit.
½ August 24, 2014
Simply touching movie.
July 20, 2014
There is a lot of dramatic credibility attached to this film, which isn't warranted. Yes, Meryl Streep is the lead and she received an Oscar nomination for the role, but this film is less dramatic than much more soapy. This film falls into the sub-genre of "white woman saves inner city children" which also includes "Freedom Writers" and "Dangerous Minds," and overdone and quite manipulative genre that needs to be done away with. You will either find this true story enlightening and sweet hearted or overly dramatic, based on taste or being able to stomach racially motivated storylines. Though, in general, I find these kinds of films tedious and over the top, the last half hour did make me well up. Real life music teacher Roberta Guaspari is inspirational, and her story is at least treated with respect. It is also interesting to note this is the only film Wes Craven has directed that has nothing to do with horror or sci-fi, and for those unaware of his finesse, this is a great showcase of his talents. This is an entertaining film, if a little overdone in its execution.
February 9, 2014
Feel like watching another Dead Poets Society-alike movie. Meryl Streep's performance here is mesmerizing. I cannot but fall in love with the graceful melodies from those violins. What's more, can't you believe this inspiring, charming, moving and beautiful film is from Wes Craven?
½ January 13, 2014
Another one of these "teacher goes to the school of hard knocks" types of film. I recall that Richard Dreyfuss did the same thing continuing on the Mr. Chips theme. His film seems unnecessary and Meryl's otherwise good performance seems equally as unnecessary. We've seen this story before.
December 13, 2013
Meryl Streep's realistic performance as the flawed lead elevates this formulaic, sentimental picture just past mediocrity.
August 17, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.