Musical Chairs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Musical Chairs Reviews

December 20, 2014
Insightful and done with heart through an intriguing premise that'd overlooked an indescribable flaw while having little results, simplicity in some plot developments and melodrama. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
½ December 8, 2014
Nice heartwarming original story. It was a little slow at times but picks up with little comedy and coming off she live story. Is with seeing for those that like dancing especially.
½ August 16, 2014
Sweet, lovely romance with a good message of never giving up. As someone who loved to dance and then became crippled with severe arthritis that gave me a "third leg" (a cane) and who will probably end up in a wheelchair, I loved this film.
November 23, 2013
Enjoyable, heartwarming movie for an evening in!
January 11, 2013
I feel like I can relate to this.... And I would love to see it.
January 7, 2013
I just streamed this movie for free online and thought it was incredible.
May 21, 2012
This movie will hit you when you least expect it. The scenes at the pool (I won't give it away) are breathtaking. And the choreography is so fluid, so effortless that you want to rewind and watch it again.
April 13, 2012
There are very few movies where people with disabilities are treated like anything other than props. Musical Chairs is a great representation of the struggles and triumps that all types of people face. Rather or not you or a loved one have a disability this story is relate-able. It's a little known movie but it's a gem.
½ April 1, 2012
Really, no really, this one is a charmer. It will be an American Standard. This one lifts the human spirit with the challenge of adversity at every turn. It is a movie that allows one to have hope, dignity and most of all love when faced circumstances beyond our control... Run don't walk and see it as soon as you can. Take a box of tissue and be prepared for endearing laughter...
March 29, 2012
Independent film shown a a few theatres but with more distributions, this film will appeal to all. Just relax and enjoy.
March 25, 2012
why is there a 100 percent audience rating
March 22, 2012
I saw the movie and it is excellent. So heartwarming and it gives insight to a whole new world of ballroom dancing for people with disabilities. I loved it.
March 21, 2012
The absolute WORST movie I have seen in a long time. Doesn't even warrant a made for TV movie. Where can I begin? First, NO chemistry between the actors. Second, not one single creative or original scene. Cliche after cliche after cliche.
Susan Seidelman squeezed every possible undeveloped storyline seen so many many times into the story. You have the guy who likes to dance... The family who owns a restaurant... The mother who sees her son passion as silly... and wants to fix him up with a particular girl... and trys to sabotage his relationship with the dance instructor he likes... who got hit by a car and is now paralized...who is bitter...and so on and so on and so on. I don't mind some formulatic predictable movies if they're entertaining, but this movie just made me angry. I was tired, I could have been sleeping and had much better dreams! Or read a book. Or caught up on Smash. or
ANYTHING ELSE!
½ March 1, 2012
must see great music
March 1, 2012
Musical Chairs- sp This is a movie from which you will learn something about people and about the heart. It is about music and it is about dance . It is about what can happen when a person suddenly finds him or herself in a wheel chair for the rest of their life. Director Susan Seidelman (Desperately Seeking Susan ) takes a screenplay by Marty Madden and somehow does a perfect casting job starting off with E.J Bonilla, a young actor who plays Armando with a flair for music, dance and the ability to project his intensity and his sincerity when he encounters Mia (Leah Pipes) a beautiful young dancer before and after her tragic accident. The story flows as smoothly as the music and the dance of this film. Most of the rest of the engaging cast is this young man's New York Puerto Rican second generation family who owns a restaurant and especially his mother (Pricilla Lopez) who has to struggle with her aspirations for her son and her realization of his love for his new girlfriend. The other group of extraordinary colorful players in this film are the people in wheelchairs who find that they can express themselves in dance. In reality only one of the actors, Auti Angel, who plays Nicky is actually confined to a wheel chair. She was a promising professional dancer who has a true story that is not too far from the plot of this movie. Behind the scenes we understand that she assisted and inspired the actors in wheelchairs to take on their personas. We view this movie as fairy tales where things happen and people say and do things not quite the way they may happen in real life. It reminds us of a musical where it can be convenient to suddenly find a place to sing (or in this case a hospital gym at night to dance in a special way). The characters and some of the dialogue are somewhat clichéd. This doesn't seem to really matter because the emotion and the message of the movie is very real. We think everyone should be able to relate to this film and learn something about the human spirit. We also think that it has the potential to live on by teaching young people in schools and be an inspiration for the thousands of people every year who find themselves in a place they never thought they would be. Part of the storyline of the movie is a dance contest being held in New York labeled "The First International Wheelchair Dance Competition" In reality, while wheelchair dancing is big in Europe it hasn't quite caught on in the USA. It would not surprise us if after this film is released and gets around we will see this event in some major city. That is part of the great potential of this movie
February 20, 2012
I want to see it AGAIN! Awesome movie, great characters, enjoy the show!