Must Love Dogs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Must Love Dogs Reviews

November 9, 2016
Like a good PB&J, you know what's coming, but you still enjoy it.
½ September 8, 2016
There was a nice off beat chemistry to the relationship between Cusack and Lana. Overall, thought, this film is outdated and relies to much on ideas that have been played to exhaustion.
½ August 22, 2016
Dad was good, as well as ads from men on dating site. John acts like he can get women, ugly and a loser. Johns friend was best
½ May 29, 2016
Dreadful casting...Diane Lane is a good actor but not funny. The lighting was terrible and made her look haggard and about 100 years old. Lane was very nervous on camera and I found myself not caring one bit what anybody did. Very bad movie on many levels...Cusack is brilliant as always but they gave him nothing to work with...not even good lighting.
½ May 16, 2016
Decent chick flick. Nothing special, but its light and mildly enjoyable. Some sillyness in the storyline.
April 2, 2016
Charming. Lovely. I really like both Diane Lane and John Cusack. They are always so real in every part they play. This movie is not big and exciting. It is small and full of great dialogue and mostly about people's relationships. One of my favorites for re-watching.
March 20, 2016
"Must Love Dogs" is a romantic comedy whose target audience is clearly older adults. I enjoyed this film much more in my 30's than I did in my 20's. The comedy is a little racey in its content though it executes its jokes with very little profanity. The movie makes a good date movie because its situational comedy is relatable to most married couples. A lot of the characters are stereotypes that we have all encountered and the film is a pretty accurate reflection of the dating world. I particularly enjoyed the "chase scene" as they raced to various stores for an important purchase, but it isn't the sort of scene that parents should be watching with their teenage children. The story is predictable (to the point that my wife questioned why the one male character was even in the story because it was so obvious that he wouldn't be "the one") and the predictability is why most of the critics hated it. At least John Cusack's character is totally unique, spontaneous, and unlike stereotypical romantic leads. I found one of the most disappointing things to be the lack of dogs in the story. I was ready for a classic "101 Dalmatians" guy-meets-girl-and-their-dogs-fall-in-love story but they dogs were only relevant in one scene. Even "You've Got Mail" (which clearly does not have the word "dog" in its title) better utilizes a canine in its climactic scene. The story could've been deeper but I think that predictability in chick flicks helps to create anticipation for the romantic ending that we crave. Despite the faults in the story, this film has a great cast of characters that includes Christopher Plummer, Stockard Channing, and wonderful chemistry between Cusack and Diane Lane. Cusack has long been a favorite of mine but Lane finally found her way into my heart with her high-impact emotional breakdown and the constant likability that she exudes. "Must Love Dogs" is an entertaining date night comedy that won't make your list of favorite chick flicks but will deliver a few laughs and a few tears.
½ February 26, 2016
Wanted something easy to watch after a long day and love Cusack so gave this a spin. Good, silly fun that we've all seen a thousand times but fitted the moment.
½ September 2, 2015
Chick flick that is the definition of chick flick
½ August 15, 2015
Seen it before rom-com but the performances help make it watchable.
April 20, 2015
There's nothing special about this movie. Another cliche romantic comedy about a middle aged woman looking for love.
April 20, 2015
Cliche story of a divorcé trying to rebuild her live life by going on blind dates. Very boring with no humor.
½ April 19, 2015
Cute, amusing and romantic story. The chemistry between John Cusack and Diane Lane is palpable and alluring. How could anyone resist John Cusack's charm?
March 22, 2015
3/22/2015: A pretty decent movie about dating when you're older. Lane and Cusack were very good and enjoyable to watch.
½ March 4, 2015
Saw this when it first came out. Very good movie. I can definetely relate to it and hope for a happy ending. :-)
February 18, 2015
Sweet! had some dialogues there that would really touch your feelings; but i'm afraid it's a one-time watch! but sweet movie.
½ January 4, 2015
This film is just very average and I basically got to the point of how much longer is there left
½ December 7, 2014
Diane was 40 when the romantic comedy was released. She nicely performs as a kindergarten teacher who is still dealing with the emotional aftermath of her divorce a few months ago. Life should be fun if one can be honest like this being surrounded nice families and friends.
½ September 24, 2014
A lot of talent is wasted on screen in this predictable and mildly entertaining romantic dramedy.
September 6, 2014
See, this is why guys don't like chick flicks. This one is not even worth suffering through just to get laid later on. So boring that I got up to pee and then wandered into another room without realizing it. A couple hours later I went back to find my laptop to order some food and only then remembered I'd been watching a movie. So bland, generic, predictable that even the great Diane Lane and John Cusack couldn't save it. Some of the worst writing I've ever seen, and that's saying a lot with all the clunkers I've seen over the years.