Must Love Dogs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Must Love Dogs Reviews

½ December 7, 2014
Diane was 40 when the romantic comedy was released. She nicely performs as a kindergarten teacher who is still dealing with the emotional aftermath of her divorce a few months ago. Life should be fun if one can be honest like this being surrounded nice families and friends.
½ September 24, 2014
A lot of talent is wasted on screen in this predictable and mildly entertaining romantic dramedy.
September 6, 2014
See, this is why guys don't like chick flicks. This one is not even worth suffering through just to get laid later on. So boring that I got up to pee and then wandered into another room without realizing it. A couple hours later I went back to find my laptop to order some food and only then remembered I'd been watching a movie. So bland, generic, predictable that even the great Diane Lane and John Cusack couldn't save it. Some of the worst writing I've ever seen, and that's saying a lot with all the clunkers I've seen over the years.
August 5, 2014
(First and only viewing - Fall 2005 in theaters)
½ July 7, 2014
A tale of two movies: I didn't mind the story of divorced Diane Lane trying to find love via the Internet, but when Cusack joined the party, the utter lack of chemistry between the stars made the film almost unwatchable. Another one of those romcoms where I imagine the creators thought the audience would go along for the ride and cheer for the leads simply because of who was cast. But the movie falls flat from the moment they appear on screen together. I simply did not buy that they could potentially end up together. Heck, THEY didn't look like they wanted to be together. As odd as it sounds, the film is exponentially better when Cusack is not on screen. A good supporting cast cannot save this unfortunate script. The title is appropriate, because to like this movie you must love dogs.
½ July 5, 2014
Incredibly predictable. Insultingly cliched. Supports the patriarchy.
May 22, 2014
an old favorite. always on tv but whatevs. free is free.
½ January 3, 2014
Fun little romantic comedy Shannon stumbled upon. Predictable and pretty status quo, but so is almost every romantic comedy, right? I don't watch much romcoms, but as they go, this was pretty good.
½ December 23, 2013
Great actors, average performances, lousy script, ridiculously portrait of the difficulties of finding love after midlife and a divorce... being Cusack and Lane being gorgeous just made it worst... if was tough for them, what the rest of humanity can expect?
December 1, 2013
It's impossible not to like Diane Lane and John Cusack. But this romantic comedy is...so predictable and kind of disappointing. John Cusack's character is in his 40's, doesn't make any money, and still wears Ramones tee shirts. So, I'm kind of confused. I mean, isn't this the guy we divorcees need to steer clear of?
October 16, 2013
John Cusack is awesome, but this movie is not. I can hardly remember it, which is a bit of problem for any movie, let alone a comedy. There was a bit with condoms? I think?
½ May 23, 2013
Everyone is so incredibly stiff in this movie and I just don't know why.
May 19, 2013
chick flick great fun
May 9, 2013
It's contemptible crap like this that reminds me why the romcom genre is so poorly regarded. Like many of these, there is no romance or comedy present, and none of the characters is remotely interesting or credible. Must Love Dog Turds would be a more apt title.
½ April 1, 2013
When zapping through the channels, I stumbled upon "Must love dogs". I remembered quite well watching the beginning but I just couldn't remember the ending. That made me think I must have not finished the movie, so I stayed on the channel to "close lose ends". It started off quite charmingly. John Cusack still shows potential for romantic movie material (remmber Sure Thing) and plays a lovable quirky character with somewhat strange yet distinct lines about love and the universe. Diane Lane, a kindergarden teacher with a broken heart, plays a nice and shy woman who is charming but nothing out-of-the ordinary. In the first third if the film, I really had some laughs cause primarily by Cusacks somewhat sarcastic lines and Lane's family. After that, it justed driften off into something plain and uninteresting. It was not too stupid to be true - an accusation I often make when it comes to Hollywood romcoms - but there was just nothing to keep my attention. As I kept on watching the movie, I realized that I had in fact finished watching it a while ago. It's just that the most parts of it are (unfortunately) not worth remembering.
½ February 24, 2013
This is a pretty darn good movie. (If you like sappy romances)
½ February 24, 2013
I love just about anything with John Cusack in it. He is too cute.
January 22, 2013
Cusack can get me to watch anything.
January 20, 2013
Loved it and can see that I am not the only problem with Internet dating. I so identify!
January 20, 2013
Not sure if it's possible to care any less