Mutant Reviews

• Feb 05, 2019

A rather stupid plot, but so well-made altogether.

A rather stupid plot, but so well-made altogether.

• Sep 04, 2016

Chemical waste from a plant in a small Southern town transforms inhabitants to blood seeking mutants. Stereotypical role for favourite Bo Hopkins while Jennifer Warren is curiously credited for a 'Special Appearance'. Goes on a bit too long and dim lighting often holds proceedings back in the tense moments.

• Sep 18, 2015

Solid acting by main cast. Somewhat of a slow start to a mediocre story. Has a couple of legitimate scares. Competent directing and an eerie overall feel make this a fun late night guilty pleasure.

• Greg S Super Reviewer
    Jun 23, 2014

Two brothers are stranded in a stereotypical redneck town struck by an outbreak of toxic waste mutations. Stupid, clichéd script renders the relatively high production values meaningless.

• Apr 11, 2013

Mutant (AKA Night Shadows) was remade by the same director in 1988 under the title Nightmare at Noon, and that movie was completely terrible. So I wondered if the original had any merit to it? Well it's definitely bad, but it has some pretty good stuff in it. It really goes out of its way to showcase horrible redneck characters, that's for sure, but the "zombie" outbreak at the end of the movie was pretty effective, even if it wasn't perfect. They certainly seemed to swarm in large numbers. Both of our leads, Wings Hauser and Bo Hopkins, are pretty terrible, but having seen the remake, I expected them to be. The plot is not exactly the same, as more complicated and stupid elements were incorporated into the remake. So the plot here is simple, which I like. It's not a great movie, but it will hold your interest most of the way.

• Jun 22, 2012

slow; a bit of bad acting; the only good part was some scenes of suspense, but other than that it's just a cheap B-movie

• Mar 11, 2012

Low budget but suspenseful. It has elements of a zombie film and some decent characters. Not a lot of scary moments but there are a few and the makeup is decent for a B-movie. Ending wasn't too bad.

• Mar 04, 2012

for what I'm guess was a low budget film this wasn't to bad, quite watch-able and the story was okay even if it did start a little slow.

• Jan 19, 2012

This in one of my old time favourites. Classic!!!

This in one of my old time favourites. Classic!!!

• Jan 19, 2012

This is a fun little 'sicko' film that I think has really slipped under the radar. The only reason that I came across it was I was on a search for Wings Hauser films. Both he & Bo Hopkins make this very watchable. Hopkins made me want to crack out the Wild Turkey & drink along w/ him. A little thin in spots & not overtly original it does have charms but if you are an 80s horror completest it should definitely be on your list. Beside most Wings Hauser films are highly watching in that B-C movie vein. Sure it's not comparable to other high end zombie style movies but it is highly digestible & I love those pussie leaking hands