Mutator (Time of the Beast) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mutator (Time of the Beast) Reviews

½ June 14, 2009
Mutator is another one of those trapped in building with genetically altered creatures from the 80's type of fun ride. The film has newly hired night watchman (Fun character actor Brion James whose nice to watch in a lead role for a change. Also, I had no clue he's been dead for 10 years. That makes me sad.) with secretive ties to the Tigen Corporation, which specializes in genetic experiementations, especially on all sorts of lab animals. Turns out, the Corporation has gone too far and have set loose though to be killed bipedal, muscular, goo-spilling cat humanoids on the unlucky employees who have decided to stay late one night. We are also treated with an early role from a young Embeth Davidz (in her first role before moving on to such films as Army of Darkness, Fallen, and Thir13en Ghosts) as the daughter of the company's CEO and the head of an animal liberation group. Though this film may seem by the books, unoriginal, and sometimes boring, I can't help but maintain my nostalgia for films like this, which I grew up on in the 80's. If you like stuff like Syngenor, Metamorphosis, or other monster run-amok films such as these, you would enjoy Mutator. I'm also not saying that I think these are award-winning pieces; I simply think in terms of cheese-grade films, and this one definitely has a lot of cheese to it. Wait til you see the monsters up close...hilarious! Not a bad film.