My Best Friend's Birthday - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Best Friend's Birthday Reviews

April 1, 2016
Your ass is grass and I'm the lawnmower.
April 1, 2016
Quentin Tarantinos first film (of which we can see a part). Only 36 minutes exists apparantly but it is available to watch on youtube, and it's very interesting. You can see that some of his ideas that appear in True Romance and Pulp Fiction were present from the very early days, as were some lines and, of course the popular references. It's a shame he didn't take from this what I would have, if I were the director also starring in the film, and that is that he should stay behind the camera.
January 24, 2016
Tarantino's directorial debut. Only 34 minutes of the feature survived. Watch for free on YouTube.
October 6, 2014
Incomplete it may be but out of any director that made it big and had that "first" amateur movie, Tarantino's is one of the best. It is filled with trademarks that we will all see in his movies.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ July 20, 2014
Quentin Tarantino's short film My Best Friend's Birthday was an exercise for the director to learn how to make a film. With that being said, is the film good? Well, it's decent and it has its moments, but problem is, is that only 36 minutes of the film survived a fire, therefore we never get to see how it turns out. I think it's a great because, the film started to take off before the run time ran out. Oh well. As an experiment, I guess it's ok in the broad sense of the word, and luckily for everyone who appreciates Quentin Tarantino's work, he would later make far better films, with his masterpiece, Pulp Fiction being released in 1994. My Best Friend's Birthday does feature something that would be prominent in every one of Tarantino's big budget films, effective, sharp edged dialogue between the characters. Although here, it clearly needs a lot of polish, we get the idea, and Quentin Tarantino would later hone his skills with Reservoir Dogs, the screenplay for True Romance and of course his second feature film Pulp Fiction. I would say that this film is more for the diehard Quentin Tarantino fan if they want to see where he started out from. Although severely flawed, we get to see a few trademarks that would later shape his filmmaking career. As a way for Tarantino to learn how to make a film, My Best Friend's Birthday is a decent attempt, but like I said, he would later master his craft and become one of the most important filmmakers working in the industry today.
April 4, 2014
Quentino Tarantino's earliest amateur film contains many of his future signatures - madcap characters in madcap situations, a high density of film and music references, and of course, hilarious, off-the-cuff dialogue. It also features a genuinely charismatic and irresistible performance from Tarantino himself. Its a pity that a fire destroyed part of this film and that only half of it remains. I couldn't get enough of it.
March 29, 2014
(32%)
A curiosity piece that's for Tarantino fans only as about half of it is missing, and what's left is a mixed bag. Quentin himself is about the best thing here and gives a good dose of effort and comic timing to his performance. The writing is somewhat decent at times, although it's clearly the product of the inexperienced, and many will claim that it's nothing more than typical Tarantino movie name dropping, which really is only partly true. For a very low budget first attempt this isn't too bad, and does at least show some future potential.
½ March 18, 2014
really enjoyed the movie pretty funny.
½ January 8, 2014
Would be rated higher if the 70 minute version weren't lost. Regardless, interesting for we Tarantino disciples.
September 4, 2013
A cool, hugely independant first effort before Tarantino's very good first feature-length film, Reservoir Dogs, showcasing, in many cases, just what was to come. Despite a very unfortunate ending, a very clear approach to filmmaking and style, albeit early.
June 16, 2013
There is many positive words in Mr.Quentin films which rises up my curiosity about his style of filmmaking.

My Best Friend's Birthday,a forgettable 34 minutes birthday even there is Good dialogs despite with some heavy lines,good directions for the conversation sequence and the Mantis post is indeed had proven that Mr.Quentin is one the fans of "Shawn Brother".I can't see his genius yet in this 34 minutes or may be I should try some of his big films.
June 15, 2013
It isn't the movie it wanted to be, though it is most likely due to fate since part of the film was destroyed in a fire, Quentin makes the most of what he has. The result is a preview of what to expect from him in the future.
½ February 22, 2013
This is a heavily dialogue driven, 36 minute long narrative that's directed by the infamous Quentin Tarantino, incoherently tells the tale of Mickey Burnett, played by Craig Hamann, whom his girlfriend has just broken up with. If that wasn't enough to mess his day up, this event happens to fall on the day of his birthday, but by the friendly gesture from his best friend, Clarence Pool (Quentin Tarantino), he decides to pull off an unforgettable birthday party for him in an unconventional way.

Sharp and nimble dialogue is the name of the game here. Admittedly, the narrative may come off as a rambling mess that fails to find a conclusion to its slim narrative. Regardless, the dialogue is so unequivocally witty and engaging that whatever the characters may be talking about, whether it may be small talk or a conversation of grandiose proportions, the writing keeps audience's eyes glued to the screen. As Tarantino's debut into the film industry, this was the perfect hallmark revolution for short and feature length films to come. Films, before and after the debut of this short, for the most part, failed and are failing to match up to the standards of outlandishly sharp writing found here. Even according to contemporary standards, Tarantino continues to be an unconventionally masterful writer and director with the likes of Pulp Fiction, which is arguably considered as one of the greatest films in American cinema, and the rest of his profoundly epic filmography. In other words, the cinematic golden nuggets that are found in his superb feature films are found glimmering in this film. It can even be arguably said that this short film is an experimental film that toys around with the art of engaging conversation, no matter how dreadfully slim the narrative may be.

Nevertheless, this is an atypical short that harbors and foreshadows the splendid elements from great feature films to come from the innovative mind of Tarantino.
August 30, 2012

August 27, 2012
While it is crudely done it is in my opinion one of Quentin Tarantio's best and funniest performances.
½ July 29, 2012
I don't know whether to give this five stars for being hilarious as an unintentional comedy, or zero because it was an unintentional comedy. Either way, Quentin Tarantino has come a LONG way since this.
June 15, 2012
Wanted to like it so much, but this film made no sense at all.
½ May 16, 2012
Where's the blood? Just kidding, it's good to see where Quentin Tarantino got this start. Even if it has no blood. The best part about this unfinished indie was the script. Tarantino is a good writer. Just like all his other films this one has a slow paced plot. There's so much dialogue that its guaranteed to keep you entertained. That's if you like dialogue of course. There where some funny moments in this one. Especially the fight scene and when they said that they where sniffing coke on the radio. I also liked the cinematography even thought the whole video was bad quality. What do you expect from an 80's film. I also noticed that there was a lot of cursing in this. I thought they where more strict with cursing in films back then. I wonder how the audience at that special screening reacted? It's a real shame that this was unfinished. I recommend it for die hard fans of Tarantino's work. For those that are wondering where you can find it, it's online.
½ March 25, 2012
Definitely not essential viewing but for those interested in seeing Tarantino's beginnings, this will be a real treat. The trademark dialogue is already well developed in this one (some was recycled for the Natural Born Killers and True Romance scripts).
½ October 31, 2011