My Childhood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Childhood Reviews

November 23, 2013
good short with doc like quality
ElCochran90
October 13, 2011
My personal favorite part of the trilogy focuses on surroundings which a young heart can't understand, yet it seeks magic in any corner possible despite the landscapes devoid of any peace. However, the beauty of nature remains, awaiting for a reconstruction that may never arrive.

99/100
½ February 10, 2011
When we first started watching this, I thought it was a documentary. It reminded me of Ken Loach. We watched part of "My Childhood" but then needed to finish it the next evening. I had a sense of dread when we sat down to view it again. The hard cruelty and insanity of this child's family, and most adults except the German worker. There are moments when I was confused thinking this was Jamie's father, so warm were their interactions. These films are work but well worth the effort; a full meal. Reminded me of the "pure cinema" of Robert Bresson and "Au Husard Balthasar", to some extent; good children battling the harshness of the world, and the people in it. There were times when Jamie is sitting curled up under that table or outside when I despaired he would do injury to himself. I was so hoping when he fell backward onto that coal train, he would just keep going along with it. The previous comments from the gentleman who grew up in similar circumstances in a Scottish industrial town were very moving to me. His being reminded of his own childhood is a testament to Bill Douglas' gift of storytelling and marks these films very important indeed. The work of Terence Davies must have been influenced by Douglas, I thought of his "Distant Voices, Still Lives" quite a bit. There is an indictment of growing up in wartime U.K. that can't be ignored, and ultimately, the perils of growing up in poverty. I have to recommend the Bill Douglas Trilogy to anyone who appreciates a cinema verite film-making experience, but not for the faint of heart.
January 30, 2010
Nur 48 Minuten lang, aber neben Truffauts LES QUATRE CENTS COUPS vielleicht der gr├Â├?te Film ├╝ber Kindheit ├╝berhaupt. Douglas ist ein Dichter, ein Minimalist, und nicht zuletzt absolut schonungslos. Bar jeglicher Verkl├Ąrung, wirft er uns in seiner autobiographischen Trilogie in die H├Âlle einer Jugend in einem schottischen Bergarbeiterkaff. Grausamkeit, Schmutz, Elend, Hass, und vor allem die absolute Machtlosigkeit. Ein Abstieg in die H├Âlle, den man nicht mehr vergisst.
July 15, 2009
The first film in the Bill Douglas trilogy, followed by My Ain Folk (1973) and My Way Home (1978). This is an autobiographical account of Bill Douglas' childhood, I don't know how much licence was taken with the truth, but this is a sad, sad account of a childhood where the child's only affection seemed to come from a stranger who didn't even speak the same language. The film is in black and white and has little sound, all of which helps convey a great impoverishment.
September 23, 2008
A brilliant film that truely favours memory and feeling over story or form. The production values are brilliantly overcome in pursuit and achievement of Douglas' aims.
½ August 8, 2008
Very bleak but really beautiful childhood memoir. ALmost every show could be cut out and stuck on the wall. Really sticks in your memory.
August 4, 2008
one of the greatest cinematic expiriences of my lifee
½ May 21, 2008
Well-made British neorealism from the 70s. Facets is releasing the whole trilogy here in the States in a couple months.
October 11, 2007
One of the most evocative and personel visions of childhood. Impressionistic, strange and wonderful. Do what ever you must to track down a copy.
June 30, 2007
New prints of this, and the rest of the Trilogy have just been made, and about time. I hope when they come out on DVD, they include the colour version of My Childhood. It would be interesting to see Jamie in colour. Anyway, if you haven't seen this, you are in for a treat. A masterpiece, cramming so much into 47 minutes, and a good reminder that a film doesn't have to be a 'feature' or a 'short' to be a great film. Bill Douglas was one of the UK cinema's few geuine poets, and deserves to be much better known. The world needs films like this.