My Reputation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Reputation Reviews

½ May 15, 2016
To me, Barbara Stanwyck is such the prototypical noir femme fatale, but her Pre-Code works like 'Baby Face' are masterpieces, and her other works, in which she shows her vulnerability, are just as appetizing to the cinephile. Excellent for fans of drama or melodrama, especially from that era, when a widow who's nagging, overbearing mother won't let her find happiness because of what the neighbours would say, just can't take it any more. To a certain extent, with current society, our constantly trying to fit in and get approval from others makes this just as relevant today.

She had a decent, not great, supporting cast to work with, and though director Bernhardt wasn't A-list (my favourite of his is 'Possessed' with Joan Crawford), he's all right for this material, and the Warner Brothers' production values, including Max Steiner doing the score and gorgeous photography from James Wong Howe, make this a lesser-known, under-the-radar, hidden gem you might enjoy.
½ May 15, 2016

April 23, 2015
A recent widow is besieged with gossip and innuendo when she begins dating again. Bland performances and typical period censorship keep this from being the sharp social criticism it was surely meant to be.
½ April 20, 2015
Widowed socialite in her early 30s, expected by her two boys, her mother, and her friends to grieve her husband's death for a lengthy period of time, instead meets and falls in love with a randy, masculine soldier--a man who clearly informs her he's not the marrying kind. Although she isn't quite the motherly type, Barbara Stanwyck gives yet another of her sterling performances in the lead. Whether standing up to the gossipy biddies in her town or trying to explain her definition of love to her sons, Stanwyck never hits a false note. Warner Bros. apparently had little faith in the film's appeal, keeping it on the shelf for two years, and yet it's a solid example of the 'woman's picture', a classy nosegay with one of those beautiful Hollywood finales at the train station.
½ January 12, 2013
It's not a very complicated story, which Stanwyck seems to revel and shine in.
½ December 27, 2012
"I'll give those ol' bitties something to gossip about!" Barbara Stanwyck bucks sexist decorum by daring to date a man after being widowed. And if that's not risqué enough, this was the first film since the inception of the "Production code" in the 1930's to show a double bed in a married couple's bedroom. A soaper to be sure, but a pretty entertaining one. And don't worry, Barbara does learn at the then, "Young people resent conventions, but as you grow older, you learn conventions were established because there was a need for them."
½ September 30, 2012
A good performance but a soap opera feel.
½ July 17, 2012
barbara stanwyk is both beautiful and charming, and she does her best with the material she's given, but "my reputation" is only mediocre at best.
July 12, 2012
stanwyck plays against type and scores
½ December 24, 2011
Stanwyck is still very much in her prime in this attempt at shocking and "current" melodrama; at least it is great to see her glide around in Edith Head costumes for an hour and a half (not to mention the always watchable wise-cracking Eve Arden). Otherwise, this is pretty much standard WB fare for the period (recurrent Warner divas such as Davis, Crawford, and Lupino appear a little more comfortable in this type of role). Surprisingly, the Max Steiner score is inappropriately distracting.
October 23, 2010
Better than All That Heaven Allows. This movie and that one have similar plots, but I liked this one better.
½ August 26, 2010
The premise is very dated, but taken within the context of that era's mores, Stanwyck's performance has authentic feeling. The story is placed within the upper eschelons of society, making this a bit of a fantasy. A much more interesting film would have been the same plot set in the world of a workaday woman. I wonder if she would have fared so well? That would have been a picture with a lot more built-in drama.
½ August 11, 2010
You see that incredibly sexy picture of Barbara Stanwyck? The picture and that title kind of makes you think or hope that Barbara Stanwyck is going to play some kind of freewheeling gal with some liberal views on life and love, right? WRONG!!! That foxy-ass picture may be able to melt butter in seconds flat but a story about a widow getting hooked up with an Army Major doesn't. Stanwyck's character tries to break the conventions that have ruled her life and speaking of conventions, you know how My Reputation is going to end within the first 10 minutes. This isn't a bad movie, I just couldn't really bring myself to care.
December 17, 2008
good stuff different for Babs though
½ July 7, 2008
½ May 6, 2008
Good Stanwyck film probably one of the first of its kind that spoke of women's independence and who better than Barbara to do it and do it well.