My Young Auntie (Cheung booi) Reviews

deano
½ June 20, 2010
An unalloyed triumph of kung fu comedy. Kara Hui is a marvel to watch in action as she's known as the best Hong Kong heroine of early 1980s and she is also underrated in terms of beauty.
I see what actor-director-writer Chia Liang Liu has done with this film is really a pleasant surprise: he has taken a martial-arts plot and re-constructed it along the lines of a Hollywood-style musical! Complete with episodes of singing and dancing! It was around the time of the making of this film that some film-makers and film fans began to recognize that the cinematic performance of martial-arts (really derived from the acrobatics of the Chinese opera) has more in common with dance than with fighting.
The result is an incredibly charming entertainment, filled with marvelously human characters attempting miraculous kung fu.
May 19, 2010
Just like killing chickens

A dying man's last wish was to marry a young maiden. The young lady is reluctant at first. However, when she realizes her marriage may save the emperors empire she marries him. The dying emperor has a nephew and brother as possible benefactors. The emperor does not wish for his ruthless brother to have control of his empire, so he will leaves everything to the nephew. When the uncle discovers this he sends his lackeys to try to steal the will. The nephew, who is older then his new aunt, must first comprehend being the nephew to such a young lady, and then comprehend he is the ruler of an empire. The nephew has enough problems with his mischievous son, and his new, young, and attractive auntie seems to be causing more trouble then she's worth.

"Robinhood? Your archery needs some practice!"
"It's no good."
"Lousy."

Chia-Lung Liu, director of Drunken Master 2 & 3, Drunken Monkey, Instructors of Death, Eight Diagram Pole Fighter, Dirty Ho, Shaolin Challenges Ninja, and the Master Killer, directs My Young Auntie. My Young Auntie possesses a fun story and magnificent characters. The sets are brilliant and very appropriate for the film. Kara Hui won a best actress award for her role in this film. The choreography was brilliant in this picture, as most Chia-Lung Liu films are (as you can see by the resume above).

"If you call that stupid dance progressive, then I don't want to be progressive."

The conversation when the nephew picks up the aunt off the boat, fight at the carriage, hanging painting, shopping, Gordon Liu as a musician, costume party, sword fight at party, the booby traps, armpit hair, and the final fight between the nephew and uncle were my favorite portions of the film. I also enjoyed the props they utilized such as the hammer, ax, spear, and helmet.

"My daddy's changed; he's a girl."

Chia-Lung Liu is a marvelous director; and other then Drunken Monkey I have enjoyed all his films. The fact he directed, was the star, and was probably involved in the majority of the choreography in this film was amazing. He is also a wonderful actor, and his mix of humor in his films is stupendous. I strongly recommend watching this film, especially if you enjoyed Drunken Master 2. This is an underrated gem and it's a travesty this not a selectable film in RT.

"That stupid bitch is checking up on me."

Grade: A+