My Zinc Bed - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Zinc Bed Reviews

January 28, 2013
Great movie, based on a play staged in London at 2000, the three actors were great, especially Uma :-)
January 25, 2012
love Paddy , but this was all hype.
½ February 18, 2011
A script that tries too hard about who knows what! If there's anything worth mentioning, it will be Thurman's fluent performance.
December 15, 2010
"An intellectually bracing, sociologically analytical and emotionally charged three-hander about market forces and modern love, addictions and transience, constructive and destructive urges." - Kate Bassett, The Independent

"My Zinc Bed could well be Hare's worst play. (...) The play's main subject, addiction. By the end of My Zinc Bed this subject has been thoroughly discussed -- but not dramatized." - Oliver Reynolds, Times Literary Supplement
July 31, 2010
Adaptation tres theatrale sur le sujet de l'addiction, ici: la drogue, l'alcool, l'amour. La maniere de demarrer est assez choc: directement on est place face au conflit entre les 2 acteurs principaux. Une mise en situation energique, dont le rythme variera tout au long de l'histoire. Avec une fin simple et lineaire.
July 5, 2010
Es una propuesta diferente, no muy digerible. Es como un guion teatral plasmado fielmente en la pantalla grande, sin edicion. Para haber tocado el tema de la adiccion creo que falto mucha mas crudeza...uff hubieran aprovechado mejor a la Thurman para eso, ella es experta en trasmitir excesos..
March 23, 2010
There's a fine line between being clever and being pretentious and this movie tries too hard to go for clever and ends up in the pretentious pile. The acting and dialogue is superb, clever and witty. However, because of a lack of plot the characters have nothing better to do then talk and talk...and talk. They talk so much and without much justification they began to talk down to the audience. As a result, the audience can quickly become bored and movie easily becomes tiresome. It has an interesting points about addiction but instead of being a "thinking man's" movie is soon transforms into a "I'm throughly drained" movie. In its original format as a play, this is amazing and well executed but sadly it doesn't translate and becomes far too long.
December 11, 2009
despite it being an interesting story the film seemed to pass without anything really happening and after the opening introduction you were led to believe that something would.
½ August 8, 2009
This film was really interesting. Noting much ever really happens, but what I adore about it is that's its all character drive and dialogue heavy. I think David Hare is one of the most talented and brilliant screenwriters working in the industry today. The dialogue was witty, sharp, and crisp. The characters were well well developed and interesting. Jonathan Pyrce gives the best performances of the lot. He is just mesmerizing with his screen presence.
July 6, 2009
Based on a play, and really shows it. The dialogue is intense, lengthy, and complex, with some finely wrought character interaction. Some of the conversations are like fencing matches, with fast-moving tension that I found rather compelling. People who aren't into that kind of thing will be bored to death. The whole thing is more or less a treatise on alcoholism, and a debate on the usefulness of AA, with some pretty sharp-edged arguments. I enjoyed it, though Uma Thurman with an accent always weirds me out a little.
½ June 29, 2009
Poses a very interesting argument and spends the rest of the movie failing to live up to it. Uma's fake accent is distracting.
½ June 13, 2009
May 27, 2009
Despite the great performances, something is not working in this too much theatrical adpation of a play, the rythm is not greatly made and well we miss Hare for his amazing works with The Hours and The reader.. Hum. Bust still there,s some intense memorable moments, hopefuly.
March 24, 2009
No se entiende a donde apunta la historia.
February 21, 2009
The performances are alright, but I just found this BORING as all hell, basically an hour and 15 minutes of Uma Thurman and Paddy Considine looking uncomfortable and edgy.

Pass, unless you're a die-hard fan of the leads.
½ January 17, 2009
Probably this was a good play. Not a good movie, anyway.
½ January 15, 2009
Just because there is a good cast in a film, doesn't always mean that it will be : A) Good, or B) Worth watching. This is a perfect example.
½ January 14, 2009
This movie has some problems but overall I enjoyed it. The lead actor, Paddy Considine gives an interesting performance. On the other hand Uma Thurman has been better before. This is not the best movie about addiction but certainly an interesting one.
January 11, 2009
Pretty good movie. Nothing interesting ever happened, just a bunch of talking and some make-out scenes. Wasn't a waste thought, because it was only an hour and 15 minutes long.
½ January 1, 2009
I happened to come across this movie on HBO on Demand.

The title of the film will show true meaning at the end and fits it well to this movie.

Addiction comes in all forms but I did find some truth on both views of Alcoholics Anonymous.

This movie made me think..