My American Cousin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My American Cousin Reviews

½ December 13, 2013
Low-key, sometimes charming coming-of-age comedy.
January 1, 2013
A good Indie film I was fortunate to see on the big screen in Vancouver, B.C. Set in a fairly remote Canadian town, 1950s, the American Cousin is a cool older teenage male who comes to town, setting younger female teen hearts aflutter (while getting himself in typical small-scale adolescent trouble).
May 31, 2011
Very cool. This guy trying to be James Dean
½ April 2, 2011
Puberty girl's anxiety & fantasy.
February 6, 2011
Not bad but dull in places. Poor acting and no dramatic tension. Beautiful Okanagan scenery though. This was obviously somene's very personal project.
½ January 4, 2011
A big award winner in Canada, this film has little style or interest from the directorial point of view, but is well written, well crafted, and exceptionally well acted. Compelling, but familiar.
August 24, 2010
Love love love love.
January 14, 2010
Alright- so this is a nostalgic little movie, naturally, being set in the late 1950's. I dig that it's also set in Canada. It was interesting to see a glimpse of what Canadian life may have been like back in the day. In B.C., it looks like it was pretty boring- haha. But they had their fun. That's what I like most about this movie- all of the fun they seem to have. It's so convincing that it makes me feel like I am having just as much fun. It was a little cheesy at times, and the fact that the main character totally has a crush on her American cousin is something I found... well, interesting. It wasn't really a problem, though, because throughout the entire movie it is maintained as a very innocent thing. This is just a nice, light-hearted and fun movie.

P.S. I enjoyed Margaret Langrick's performance. It had such a youthful quality to it. It was very fresh and free-spirited!
May 21, 2009
cool movas i like ok
½ March 10, 2009
this is one of those coming-of-age movies that i watched as a kid, so despite it's shortcomings, i still have warm, sunny feelings for it =)
December 26, 2008
1. My American Cousin ‚?? Was a bizarre movie in an attempt to capture what the 50‚??s looked like to the Canadians. The film seems like a light hearted drama with little plot and really had very few scenes. They were all drawn out way too long and even though at first I thought maybe the film didn‚??t realize it was seeming pedophilic and leaning towards incest at the last 20 minutes I was blown away that the cousin kissed his 12 year old cousin on the lips. Not only was he 6 years older but he was related to her. I mean from being so light hearted it changed so drastically that it surprised me. I couldn‚??t believe it but there is a sequel. So I decided to get it because I want to see what happens plus the girl who plays sandy Wilcox was also in Thunderground another movie that was rather bizarre. She seems to pick roles with odd relationships between man and woman.
½ September 26, 2008
Wow. First one to review this movie. To be honest, I only really remember it because Margaret Langrick sat beside me in Science class in Junior High School . . . not that we ever spoke or anything. I didn't really pay attention to things, so I didn't know she was in a movie until my Grandma took me to see some "wholesome" entertainment. It was certainly amusing at the time.

When she won the Canadian award for Best Actress I remember the National (the Canadian Nightly News on CBC) coming to our school and filming and the award being on display.

The long and the short of it is . . my rating may be off because of personal memories, rather then a heartfelt remembrance of the film :)
March 26, 2008
The greatest Canadian movie ever made!