My Best Enemy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Best Enemy Reviews

February 3, 2014
The plot is absolutely ridiculous! I guess now a days you can turn whatever ridiculous plot you come across into a movie, just as long as it is about the holocaust!
½ October 31, 2013
Far better than the critics rate this.
August 6, 2013
Everyone else is dumb, this movie was exciting with very complex characters. It had a tone that breaks all cliches of the movies regarding the time period. Not too heavy but emotionally honest. Had me routing for the protagonist the whole way and feeling sympathy for the antagonist at times
July 30, 2013
It is very hard to define the genre as it has many aspects and has a twisted story development. A mystery-like story made the historical issue less serious.
July 21, 2013
Riveting and realistically refreshing movie about WWII, Germany, the Nazis and friendships. For me, it was borderline Hitchcock-worthy in its suspense. Give it a try! It will at least, perhaps, make you look at things slightly differently and from a German's perspective as well.
½ August 18, 2012
Watched this film recently with my mother. The production was excellent, costumes, makeup, sets, ect. all were very well done. The story is very engaging and by the end you really are engrossed with the fate of all of the main characters, but for me, most especially, I was concerned for the fate of Victor Kaufmann (Bleibtreu). This film is meant to be a tragi-comedy, and it does well on both fronts. The first part of the film is quite depressing, but then again, we are dealing with the subject of WWII, and this story is set around the fate of a prosperous Jewish family living in Vienna, so of course, some horrible things will happen. But there are some huge laughes in here as well, espcially when dealing with the Nazis, who are almost portrayed in a cartoon-like manner. Some people have expressed concerns over this, but to my mind, this is perhaps the best way to show Nazis. As silly, thuggish buffoons. However, I have heard from others that some of the comedy doesn't translate well into English and I have to admit that on the first viewing (as an English speaking person) I found this to be true. Some moments of the film I could tell were supposed to be funny but the humour escaped me. But this can be said for any film from a land that isn't native to you, and this should in no way deter someone from watching this film. I highly recommend it.