My Best Friend Is a Vampire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Best Friend Is a Vampire Reviews

November 25, 2010
it;s a vampire comedy of all time.
November 8, 2010
I have such a soft spot for this movie - it's part of my childhood. It's kind of funny how my young mind glossed over all the sexual elements and focussed entirely on the comedy and vampire bits. Come to think of it, 12-year-old me did that quite a bit. Anyway, this movie is just delightful, but you need to suspend your disbelief with fifty-pound-test fishing line. This movie asks you to accept some pretty zany things, and some pretty wall-banging knots in the plot. Do the police just give out scanners so that American households can plot thier routes to school? Why does Nora turn into a cat while all the other vampires turn into wolves? But no, not bats though. That would just be silly. And why don't the cops in this town do anything when a teenager tells them that he just witnessed his friend being abducted by two middle-aged men in a white van? *sigh*

What makes this movie so endearing is the comedy and the characters. Robert Sean Leonard is really really likeable as Jeremy Capello and Evan Mirand was hilarious as his best friend, who serves as the comic relief. Actually, one of the things I found funniest was seeing Ralph interact with Grimsdyke, Professor McCarthy's doofus of a sidekick. The two have confused which of the two kids is the vampire and spent the movie hunting (and confusing) Ralph. I was surprised in hindsight at how much of this movie is devoted to car chases.
½ October 9, 2010
Con todo el sabor ochentero jajaja ...y el pricipal es Dr Wilson de House :-P jaja
September 26, 2010
entertaining for sure, reminds me of a mix between "Fright Night" and "Teen Wolf"
June 28, 2010
Shockingly enough, I did not hate this film even with the promise of an awful title! There are funny scenes and some originality with a tired genre.
½ June 16, 2010
FUNNY VAMPIRES! AWESOME!
divinetrash
April 2, 2010
The film inserts and interesting subcontext in which to present the vampire angle of the story, but then completely fails to explore it. The resolution is so corny, I've seen edgier episodes of Wizards of Waverly Place.
½ March 24, 2010
Good 80's movie. Fun vampire comedy.
March 6, 2010
After an erotic encounter with a strange woman, healthy high-schooler Jeremy Capello begins having strange experiences and cravings. It is only until he is informed by a man named Modoc that he understands he is turning into a vampire. And soon these changes begin to affect Jeremy's liking for a nerdy girl Darla, as well as attract the attention of a mad vampire hunter.

And we're right back to that magical world of the 80's where action flicks ruled and movies were largely compiled of cheese. This one follows the latter. The acting from Robert Sean Leonard as Jeremy is done quite nicely, and really draws us into liking our typical straight-arrow teenage main character. Unfortunately the remainder of the cast fails to hold up the standard Leonard sets. His parents, played by Kenneth Kimmins and Fannie Flagg, serve as an amusing side-plot, but fail to put forth the theatrical effort when it counts. His friend Ralph (Evan Mirand) and girl Darla (Cheryl Pollak) give better performances. Not by much, but the mood is very rarely spoiled. Sadly the best supporting performances came from those with the least amount of screen time. David Warner plays the mad Professor McCarthy well while he and his partner Grimsdyke (played by Paul Wilson) provide much of the driving narrative and a good share of the comedy. The plot is simple enough; kid gets turned into a vampire and has to deal with it along with the everyday problems of a regular teenager. The script is a fine little comedy rolling on wheels of Gorgonzola, delivering a steady flow of modest campy humor without detracting from the story. The goal of which was to cover all the bases of a basic teenage lifestyle and the effects being a vampire can have on them, in which it succeeds. This take on vampires is an interesting one; the film takes care to fully flesh-out it out and makes it work well with the comedic feel without ridiculing or spoiling other ideas of vampires. In my book it's a successful teenage satire that also happens to be an interesting vampire tale. Being an 80's film, it's drenched in nostalgia-inducing music that nicely compliments the light air of the film. There are a few bad cuts here and there along with a plethora of small technical errors alongside them, but they hardly put down the film. What does put down the film is the ending. Prepare to open the mozzarella floodgates for this disappointing conclusion where just about every flaw of the film comes to a head. Thankfully it is a swift cap to an otherwise guilty-pleasure film. Overall it's nothing great. But it is a nice, fluffy, 80's popcorn flick with some decent simple humor and a fun script. The supporting cast performances are a bit spotty, but thankfully overshadowed by the fine work from Robert Leonard. Even if you can't stand it, it only lasts for a normal 90 minutes. I give "My Best Friend is a Vampire" 5.5 pints of pig blood out of 10.
February 16, 2010
suck on THIS new fangled teen vampire flicks!
January 17, 2010
This is an early Robert Sean Leonard effort, in which vampires are exactly like I wish they would be: immortal, pale versions of ourselves with mini-fridges and cans of diet blood, magical powers, and '80s shoes.
½ December 2, 2009
This movie was filmed horribly. The use of the camera was small. Plus after many scenes they would fade out, like they were getting ready for a commercial. Sometimes when it faded, the scene wouldn't be edited right. The story was also just awful. The cast was ok. Robert Sean Leonard actually did a pretty decent job in his role. I seriously felt they could of put him in a better role in another movie and he would of made it a hit. Not a very good film overall.
November 29, 2009
it's an 80's staple. really good movie
½ November 21, 2009
Great movie of the past, God I miss the 80's
November 19, 2009
(***): Thumbs Up

I had a lot of fun with this one.
November 12, 2009
One of those forgotten teen movies of the 80s.
A teenage boy named Jeremy (Robert Sean Leonard) gets seduced and bitten by a sexy lady when he goes to deliver her groceries. It turns out that she was a vampire and now he is one too. Confused and in denial he is befriended by a vampire elder named Modok (Rene Auberjonois) who coaches him into adapting to his new lifestyle but the plot thickens as Jeremy also has to save his best friend Ralph who is kidnapped by two vampire hunters who think he's the vampire all while trying to convince his new girlfriend that he's a normal guy, except for the whole vampire thing.
I enjoyed this low budget ,campy horror/comedy. The storyline was decent, the acting wasn't that good but, I enjoyed it nonetheles. I think it's gotten a bit interesting with time because of 3 unknown actors in this film that are now noteworthy :Robert Sean Leonard from the TV show "House", Rene Auberjonois mostly recognized for his role as Odo from Star Trek Deep Space Nine and the cameo appearance from Kathy Bates who played Jeremy's girlfriend's mom. It's worth checking out.
October 22, 2009
Entertaining 80's teen comedy in the style of Teen Wolf.
October 8, 2009
Lame 1980?s crap, not very original and certainly there is nothing special about it. The acting is fair, it?s not as funny as it intended it to be. Very ordinary and uninspiring. Notable though for Kathy Bates in an early appearance.
October 8, 2009