My Bloody Valentine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Bloody Valentine Reviews

½ April 10, 2015
There is no better campy,schlocky B film horror goodness than this flick.
½ April 7, 2015
During the late seventies and eighties there was a clear trend of slasher genre horror films based around holidays ("April Fool's Day," "Halloween," "Friday the 13th" etc.) While following in this vein, there's something original and dark about this film in contrast. Most of the film is set in the mines of central Canada, where a set of old murders haunts a quiet little town. A lot of the action revolves around a love triangle, the legends of the past, and being young and witless, with nothing to do. The last section of the film is entirely set in the bowels of a blackened mine, where the tunnels and overhead shafts provide plenty of hiding spots for a maddened serial killer. While this film takes great strides to not be the same as others of its caliber, it's still not very memorable. The killer is lame, the twist comes out of nowhere, the characters are idiotic and cowardly, the main female character is irritatingly frightened, and constantly needs saving, and the ending is ridiculous. Though I haven't seen the remake, I recommend it over this film, which is working with basically nothing but visuals, which I can only hope got better by 2009.
½ February 26, 2015
Very eerie with some nasty kills but also bad acting and a completely unrealistic plot. This one is unusual in that the remake was actually better!
½ February 16, 2015
Edgier than most older slasher films but great to see a motive of insanity and a different choice of weapon
½ January 13, 2015
Looks great, filmed very well for a run of the mill horror flick. But that's all it is. As for the reveal, the movie really falls flat.
Robbanflix
January 1, 2015
A quite old horror / thriller movie from the 80s and there are many classics from that period. It was the first time i saw this movie now and i would probably have enjoyed it more back in the old days but still decent even today probably. There is a remake out now aswell and remakes usually falls behind the originals. Anyway a good slasher movie much similar to "friday the 13th" and other flicks like that.
December 28, 2014
The acting is awful. The characters couldn't be more annoying. I can't deal with this phony mess. The 'comic relief' character is in the running for most irritating ever.
December 27, 2014
Awful attempt, even for eighties horror.
November 2, 2014
All centered around a old folk tale of a deranged serial killer killing those who celebrate Valentine' day, My bloody Valentine as a brutal but great classic slasher. I have seen the cut version and still contains graphic violence. On a budget of 2,3 millions dollars it grossed over 5,5 millions. A intense, disturbing, great piece of macabre cinema.
½ October 18, 2014
A great movie to watch around halloween, it is sick, twisted, and very entertaining!
½ October 2, 2014
This is old-fashioned slasher stuff. It's fairly routine, but it's also gruesome, sometimes clever, and sure to shock.
September 25, 2014
It's best watching the original "My Bloody Valentine" in its entire uncut glory. A bit creepy, even claustrophobic, at times, "My Bloody Valentine" benefits from creative kills, a memorable and original villain and a likeable cast. It tends to drag at times, so in that respect, the remake is better. Otherwise, this one's cheesy 80's fun.
September 10, 2014
Great movie I don't no why but some people don't like this film deal with it it's part of the 1980's slasher cycle...
August 22, 2014
Not wanting to be stereotypically me and go for Christmas and Halloween horror, which I tend to migrate toward, I have decided to review "My Bloody Valentine" 1981. One of those classic slasher flicks that I have seen many a time. The story follows the folklore around a mining accident in Valentine Bluffs. It happens on one of the holiday's that quite frankly since becoming an adult I do not seem to get into. (Neither does my BF so I am good on all counts with that!). "My Bloody Valentine" was directed by George Mihalka. Actually until the remake came out I thought most people just threw this film to the side or just forgot about it. It is a true classic horror story with the principle set ups, story line, and back story. A man left behind in an mine collapse goes insane, kills out of revenge, he becomes legend, and the legend comes to life. There are some truly gory moments in this 80's flick. From one victim crammed in a dryer and another being speared on a shower spout this film really makes an effort to get as gory as it's "Friday the 13th counterparts. This film began a long line of horror flicks around holidays most of which were cut and dry. Kids do something or go some where they are told not to, have a good time then get slaughtered. For me "My Bloody Valentine" got most of the stuff you want in a horror movie right. The story was classic and dark from the legend of Harry Warden to the defiant Valentine party at the mine. The acting is par for the coarse in early 80's horror films. The sound effects are minimal but eerie with only one real song worth mentioning "The Ballad Of Harry Warden".

There is a lot of build up in this film with suspense and point-of-view angles as the killer spies on the town and sneaks up on the victims. There is plenty of blood and gore in the film that at times seems as graphic as you can get. Other times it seems cheap and plasticated. However there is nothing about any of the special effects in this film that did not work. Even the large human heart in the candy box looked gory enough to have an impact. This film has some things that make it annoying. It is a digitally remastered film but it seems to come from a bad master because the sound effects and over all quality is stressed and at times screechy. Much like the original "Friday The 13th" is. IT was a period in horror when high pitched tones (much like nails on a chalkboard) were standard in horror films. It isn't a film with a great soundtrack like Amityville Horror or Nightmare On Elm Street but then again this was before Horror was so embraced. It was just getting it's first big wind when these films came out. That aside "My Bloody Valentine" remains one of my favorite simply because the death scenes are gory and good, I like a cheesy story with minimal acting and it is from my favorite decade of horror films. Not my favorite holiday but this is one of my all time favorite films.
July 30, 2014
Lots of blood but boring besides the scenes of gore
July 6, 2014
Good but I like the 3D remake better.
June 29, 2014
My Bloody Valentine is a mildly entertaining slasher film.
½ June 24, 2014
While the teenage actors show (almost) excessive amounts of appropriate emotions, the adult actors seem stoic and statuesque. Every plot point in this movie seems to be intensely overtly conventional, but every scene in this movie is as effective at getting under your skin as any King or Craven film. Some will look at these contradictions, most will probably, and see the film as a mess. But Da Ca$hman saw in these contradictions a very interesting and meta allegory for the contrast of love and murder in this film. To love is to be so incredibly emotional and to show empathy, but to murder is to have no emotions and show no empathy. Love will most likely blossom in teenage years, and hate, the fuel for murder, will most likely blossom in adult years. But if you're not going to be convinced this is deep in any way, shape or form, you'll still highly appreciate this movie if you're a slasher buff, or just an 80s baby in general.
½ June 7, 2014
A typical, but enjoyable 80's slasher with some nice cinematography, decent acting and an ending that kind of suprised me. Recommended if you're fan of good old fasion horror.
June 2, 2014
I had a very good amount of gore, but none of it felt as over the too as I expected, bra sue I've seen other movies from those years too, that were more explicit and graphic. Also, the story was kind of dumb and it wasn't very scary. I did expect a lot more from this movie, but it at least had some gore.