My Boyfriend's Back - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Boyfriend's Back Reviews

November 9, 2017
Cheesy fun film with everything you need and more.
½ May 2, 2017
Funny that as I'm watching Santa Clarita Diet on Netflix (good show), I decide to watch this movie. Well, maybe not really all that funny, but it's certainly worth noting. Granted, the similarities end with the fact that both lead characters come back from the dead. The lead character in Santa Clarita Diet feels the urge to constantly eat human flesh and, impulsively, she does so, while her husband tries to help her adjust to the changes by helping her out with whatever she needs. Johnny, the undead kid in this movie, for the most part, tries to resist his urges even though consuming human flesh will give him more time to spend with his the girl he has been in love with since he was 6 years old. At its core, there's a surprisingly sweet love story here. Guy literally took a bullet for this girl and came back to be with her and take her to the prom. The problem is that I just don't find that the romance between Johnny and Missy was all that believable. Never mind the fact that Johnny is a zombie or anything of the sort, but the events of this movie place during the span of, maybe, four days. Less than a week and all of this happens. While Johnny may feel like he's in love with Missy, the fact of the matter is that, before the movie starts, he literally has no contact with her. I can understand that he's lusted for her, which is weird since this crush started when he was six, but he isn't in love with her. Same thing applies to Missy, except much, much worse. Hell, I don't even think Missy even noticed Johnny, much less felt any sort of attraction to her. And, in spite of that, in four days of, basically, doing nothing together, she falls madly in love with him and ditches her boyfriend of six yeas, the typical jock douche. Granted, Johnny and Missy spend some time together at the movies, school and at home. But you never get a sense that they're truly, actually falling in love with one another. And for a film that's trying to sell you on that aspect, having two characters that barely know each other fall in love just doesn't work nor is it believable. Don't get me wrong, Andrew Lowery and Traci Lind had some good chemistry together, but the development of their relationship just didn't convince me. The reason why I am giving the movie this rating, however, is that it can actually be a legitimately funny movie. I'm not saying it's the best comedy you will ever see, because it is not that, but I definitely think this movie has more clever dialogue than many people give it credit for. Don't wanna say that it's ahead of its time, because it's really not, but some of the dialogue feels ripped from today's style of comedy writing. I don't know what it is, but the dialogue doesn't feel as out of date as some others 80s comedies might feel. One of my favorite parts is how oblivious everybody is to Johnny Dingle (yes, that's really his last name) being undead. Well, oblivious isn't the right word to use. Everyone is well-aware but nobody really reacts like how one would normally react in this situation. Granted, someone, in this town, came back from the dead before, but seeing everyone act so casual about Johnny's 'revival' is one of the highlights of the movie. To me, the comedic highlights have to be Johnny's parents. They may not appear that much, but they certainly make their moments count. There's one scene where they bring a little kid for Johnny to feast on. A little fucking kid. Talk about dark, but it was certainly funny. I don't wanna say the movie provides some memorable moments, because I'm honestly having trouble recalling them as we speak. And I only finished watching this about 7 hours ago. Perhaps that says more about my memory and less about the movie, who knows? But I digress, I feel that the romantic stuff holds the movie back from what, really, is a pretty good little comedy. What I like about it is that it's a movie that's certainly not afraid to be a little weird. And maybe its weirdness is tame in comparison to, say, someone like Wes Anderson, who specializes in weirdness and quirk. But this is a movie that's not afraid to put itself out there and embrace the absurdity of its concept. Sometimes its attempts at comedy might not always be successful, but at least they take some risks. And, again, it's not like this is the most ambitious movie ever made. I don't want it to sound like that. This is just a silly horror comedy that just tries to go above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to making you laugh. It's just a shame that a forced and inorganic romance was forced in there as well. That certainly gets in the way of what I would have said was a pretty good movie. But, since the romance between Johnny and Missy was in there, this ends up just falling short. This is an entertaining average movie, for sure, but the key word is still average. Therefore I can't really give this a wholehearted recommendation, though a lot of people would probably enjoy this anyway.
½ September 8, 2015
Ahead it its time in terms of comedy and scope. Amazing movie from start to finish.
August 24, 2014
A very peculiar dark comedy. It's completely off-the-wall, but I did not enjoy the story and I felt it was poorly made. (First and only full viewing - In my early twenties)
July 20, 2014
Amazing movie! Funny, touching, and thoroughly entertaining.
½ March 11, 2014
I don't remember much of this movie because it was a long time ago but I remember it being fun to watch so I gave it two and a half stars based on my memory.
July 2, 2013
This corny comedy is about Johnny Dingle who is a nerdy kid and has had a crush on a kid since they were young. Now in high school and has a boyfriend Johnny comes up with this plan to have his friend rob the convenience store she works at and Johnny comes in and saves her and she will supposedly fall in love with him and will accept him and they go to the prom. But a real robber comes in and Johnny jumps in front of the bullet and saves her and sends him to his grave. He comes back to life as a zombie and tries to continue his life like normal but soon his body starts to fall apart and he must eat flesh from the living in order to stay alive which he wants to at least till the prom so he can take missy. There's nothing really wrong with this movie It is kinda fun to watch but you get toward the end and you kinda scratch your head like what kinda ending is that? That's got to be the most cheesiest and corny ending ever on a movie. Like I said its not perfect by all means but it is still entertaining and worth at least one watch.
April 21, 2013
A Comedy for everyone.
April 17, 2013
Please make me forget. This is the worst film I have ever had the misfortune to watch. If you have to make a choice between watching this movie and painful dental work, I would suggest the dental work.
½ February 18, 2013
This movie is oozing with Cheesy 90's / late 80's catch phrases .. I can see where the idea from warm bodies came from , don't wait forever to tell that someone that u love them .. You might have to wait until your the living dead to express your feelings , by eating her flesh !
February 1, 2013
One of my fav black comedies of all time
½ January 22, 2013
OMG! This movie was a complete surprise! I never thought it could be both good and touching... But I'll be Bala-banded!
December 16, 2012
i always liked the stupidity of this movie :)
½ December 13, 2012
prolly started in a comic tat's y ppl r not scared at all. e ending part isn't bad though
December 9, 2012
A zombie comedy where apparently it's okay to be a walking decaying corpse...how is that not funny?
December 7, 2012
Will have to watch this one. Not necassarily good or bad. Will see. Want to watch!
½ September 16, 2012
Funny "zombie" movie
½ August 9, 2012
Ridiculous but hella entertaining to watch. I guess, one of the reasons why 80s teen movies are so great to watch is the fact that it can be the most unrealistic and outrageous movie ever but still be entertaining and fun to watch. Overall, a crazy movie but definitely not a bad one.