My Dear Secretary - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Dear Secretary Reviews

½ November 25, 2013
Cynical & satirical look at the unscrupulous habits of 'high' artists. Not completely void of wit.

The plot changes make absolutely no sense whatsoever. The manner in which they suddenly get married, completely out of nowhere, is simply absurd. And it's self-contradictory. When he goes for her, she's appalled. Later, she says that if he showed interest, she would have married him on the spot. It's good to pay attention to the plot when you make a movie.

Had some potential -- turned out a mess.
½ September 24, 2012
and KD doesnt even shine
October 24, 2010
You know how it will end just by reading the title, but this is a funny and entertaining movie with a great cast, so it's worth seeing.
March 13, 2010
My dear movie viewers, now this is a comedy. Hilarious and perfect timing for the jokes.
March 23, 2009
While the comedy won't have you in stitches, it is good enough to be able to enjoy this stage play like romance. Loraine Day and Kirk Douglas bounce off each other well and Keenan Wynn fills the gaps with some good one-liners.
½ January 30, 2009
Cute & funny movie. Love Kirk's sidekick.
jjnxn
½ August 17, 2008
Pure fluff with two stars much better then the material given.
April 10, 2006
The two leads, Kirk Douglas and Laraine Day really lift this standard and predictable romantic comedy. There is also a great supporting cast. Keenan Wynn is at his best, Helen Walker, Rudy Vallee and Florence Bates all shine. Enjoyable fluff.
½ March 11, 2004
(DVD) (First Viewing, 1st Martin film)

A pleasant enough Hollywood comedy. Starring Kirk Douglas and Laraine Day as a famous writer and his aspiring writer secretary respectively, [b]My Dear Secretary[/b] never really lives up to its potential for laughs. Actually, both stars are upstaged by the supporting character, namely Keenen Wynn as Douglas' crazy neighbor, and the august Florence Bates as the nosy landlady. Wynn was a particular surprise, because I've only seen him as a frail old man grieving over his dying wife in [b]Nashville[/b], and this performance couldn't be more different than that one.

I wanted to watch something effortless and light, and that's exactly what [b]My Dear Secretary[/b] did. I really couldn't ask it for more.