My Father, the Hero - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Father, the Hero Reviews

October 5, 2016
It's quite cute and goofy fun.
September 24, 2016
It's a shame to see such a talented actor as Depardieu play such a baffoon, but he's just so darn good at it!
July 16, 2016
This movie is pretty bad. There's some "time capsule" value to it, since there's no way a movie like this would ever get green-lit today, and the romantic pairing of mid-1990s Depardieu and mid-1990s Heigl is... unique. This movie has novelty value, but if you're looking for a movie that will hold your interest plot-wise and not make you feel gross, look elsewhere.
½ June 11, 2016
Father takes estranged daughter to Bahamas in this uneven comedy.
½ June 9, 2016
great daddy/daughter movie to share together
½ April 21, 2016
This movie is, to me, really good! So funny, a cute romance, i just love this movie! Andre is so funny, so is Nikki, and everyone else! If u haters hate this movie, then I don't care
½ January 24, 2015
My Father the Hero. Fun fact; this was the first film I walked out of. I am now 33 years old, but I still remember vividly the climax of the movie-long comedic buildup. That scene depicts an audience booing a middle-aged man, whom they suspect to be a pedophile, as he plays the piano and sings a spirited rendition of "Thank Heaven For Little Girls." He isn't, in fact, a pedophile- his young teen daughter simply claimed that they were dating in order to impress an older teen love interest. What hijinks! Imagine the hilarity that ensues! Get it? The father is confused by everyone's booing... but it's really because his daughter told everyone that he was a pedophile! L...O...L. Oh, Depardieu- you're too much.

The scene with the song is made all the more impactful by Gerard's accent. There's something even more unnerving about said situation when you're hearing, "Sank Hayven for Leetle Galez!" I can't explain why. Some things, like the song of the Nightingale or the Golden Ratio, just are.

I have very little opinion regarding a singular line that filmmakers musn't cross as related to cinematic tastefulness, censorship or obscenity. However, even those who don't find the premise of this film as abhorrent as I do will still agree that it may not be the greatest idea to build your PG-rated family comedy around a single-layered incest/pedophilia gag that begs for the drummer to hit the two snares and cymbal. However, the drummer knows better.

Really, the funnier movie would be a film about a studio green-lighting this atrocious offering. Kind of like a molestation-themed version of "The Producers." Or not. Anyway, thanks for reading my first review. And hats off to the "My Father the Hero" team. Well done, fellas. -E
June 18, 2014
Divorced father Andre who hasn't seen his daughter in five years wants to take her on a tropical island vacation. While there she concocts a lie to impress a boy she falls is love with that Andre is really her lover but is pretending to be her dań?. What happens after that is comical mishaps and misunderstandings the hurts both her dad's reputation and her romance. I thought this was a well done comedy. Most of the laughs come from Gerard Depardieu. He was very funny here.This was a very fun movie to watch. It defiantly takes you on a laugh filled vacation.
December 26, 2013
My Favorite Comedy Film Is 1933's Duck Soup.
June 17, 2013
disturbing, , but Heigl and Dpardieu make it work.
March 17, 2013
I think Iam the only one who found the premise of this film rather disturbing? A teenage girl trying to pass her father off as her boyfriend... After seeing the first five minutes on television, I immediately sought ways to repress the memory of this film.
½ January 11, 2013
Just mediocre comedy, but nice to see a very young Katherine Heigl. A better script could have made this a funnier movie.
January 3, 2013
Gerard Depardieu is lovable; and wow! Katherine Heigl when she was a wee little ditty.
½ November 3, 2012
Depardieu, as usual, is terrific. It's a shame that he is the only thing that stands out in this mediocre comedy.
½ October 18, 2012
Andre (Gerard Depardieu) is a divorced father whose life is turned upside down when he takes his headstrong teenage daughter on a tropical island vacation. Andra's troubles begin when his daughter, Niki (Katherine Heigl) - trying to impress the boy of her dreams concocts an elaborate life story for herself, including the outrageous notion that Andra is really her boyfriend masquerading as her father. What follows is a comedy of errors and confusion that wreaks hilarious havoc on Niki's budding romance and her father's reputation.

also stars Dalton James, Lauren Hutton, Faith Prince, Stephen Tobolowsky, Ann Hearn, Robyn Peterson and Frank Renzulli.

directed by Steve Miner.
October 3, 2012
An unfunny and rather bland film with little going for it
August 1, 2012
INTERESTING... Not your average relationship between Daughter and father, but one has to make up for lost time some how. Gerald is funny and a father with no parenting skills. His daughter young, impressionable but a pathological lier. When her dream guy gives her time of day she makes up her age, name and life posing her father on the spot as a pimp daddy. The movie only gets weirder. Talk about twisted tangles when the truth is unravelled under any BIG lie holds the reasons why people lie: for some attention or to make thier lives more intersting. she's pissed that he lives across the world and skipped her birthday for a flusy. A daughters with raging hormones make up for the built up bitter resentment, i guess?!
July 23, 2012
A vaguely remember this movie but what I can remember the sweet connection between the father and daughter.
½ June 13, 2012
Didn't care for this movie at all