My Favorite Year - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Favorite Year Reviews

½ August 2, 2013
Just an absolute gem of a movie. It's a crime O'Toole didn't get an Oscar for this film (or any of the other six times he was nominated). The is a series of scenes in the middle of the film where O'Toole goes on a drunken adventure with his Sancho Panza that is one of the funniest episodes in film. I challenge you to watch this movie and not like it or not simply fall in love with O'Toole. Some have argued this film is semi-autobiographical. What I would really like to see is the true autobiography of Peter O'Toole.
July 29, 2013
Certainly worth watching if you are a "Perfect Strangers" fan (and who isn't). That nervous, panicked character that Mark Linn-Baker played so well on that show was born here. His interaction with the wild, crazy drunk Peter O'Toole gets some pretty good laughs. Unfortunately there are some other subplots that do not work as well.
July 12, 2013
A charming comedy with a fantastic central performance by the great Peter O'Toole. Joseph Bologna isn't shabby either and gets the film's biggest laughs as the cantankerous show-runner and star of The King Kaiser Show.
July 3, 2013
This is one of my all time Favorite movies...I have to sit and watch it occasionally. Not only is it well written, but the actors are perfect in their roles. Cameron Mitchell as Boss Rojack is hilarious, Joseph Bologna is the hard-knuckled but fair star of Comedy Cavalcade. Mark-Lynn Baker and Peter O'Toole are a great 1-2 punch, and great supporting and special characters like Lainie Kazan as Belle May Steinfeld Carroca, and Jessica Harper as K.C. Downing, the subject of Benjy Stone's ( Mark-Lynn Baker) romance. If you can get this online and watch it, you'll have the time of your life. If you miss it, well, shame on you for six weeks.
March 28, 2013
I have watched trhis movie at least 5 times now and it gets better each time I watch it. Peter O'Toole's portrayal of Alan Swann is a masterclass. Some may say it is self indulgent or exaggerated but I believe it to be based largely on Errol Flynn and the golden age of Hollywood flamboyance. As well as the comedic set pieces the film is tinged with pathos. Swann's inability to come to terms with who he has become; his unwillingness until the end to visit his daughter and finally Swann overcoming all his demons to be who he really is and who his adoring public think he is and want him to be are all heart warming moments.
½ February 28, 2013
A studio that struggles to maintain a successful variety show wants to recruit an actor, Alan Swann (Peter O'Toole). This actor is irresponsible, heavily attracted to alcohol and loves hanging with the ladies. He also takes after the late Errol Flynn. One of the crew members (Mark-Linn Baker) attempts at all costs to lure him into the show. With another astonishingly high rating on RT attached to a Peter O'Toole film, I have to disagree with other critics AGAIN because I thought this film sucks! I found the comedy fairly non-existent and the movie to be quite boring. O'Toole seems to have established a generally empty, over dramatic performance during the 1980's which has worn out thin with me. Not a very good film what-so-ever. Incidentally, 1954 is the year the title is referring to and in terms of movies, this is a great year ("Rear Window," "The Seven Samurai," "Sansho the Bailiff," etc.).
February 21, 2013
Fantastic comedy with a great performance by Peter O Toole.
½ February 20, 2013
No offense to the rest of the cast, but whenever Peter O'Toole is on screen, the movie is comic gold. Too bad the running time is so short. I would have loved to see more of his character. "I'm not an actor. I'm a movie star!" Classic.

Grade: B+
February 19, 2013
Absolutely charming. Peter O'Toole gives a fantastic performance as an Errol Flynn facsimile named Alan Swan.
December 27, 2012
Compared to the musical, this is pure gold. The dialogue is awkward, but it's honest. Plus the stereotypical Asian is actually kind-of funny.
December 15, 2012
Cousin Larry from "Perfect Strangers" (Mark Linn-Baker) must wrangle an alcoholic movie star for his appearance on a 1950s Sid Caesar-type variety show. Funny and poignant, with something to say about how our heroes live up to the image we have of them. This and 'Lawrence of Arabia' are Peter O'Toole's career highlights, in my opinion -- he's brilliant here in an Errol Flynn-inspired, Academy Award nominated performance.
½ August 7, 2012
Peter O'Toole really saves this from being a crappy movie. That Mark Linn-Baker..I mean Larry Appleton sure has some range. One would swear that his mannerisms are a little too similar in dealing with Balki. No wonder the dude had no career. But yeah Peter O'Toole made this.
July 12, 2012
This film was VERY well-written and an absolute scream. Not to be missed by a longshot! full of awesome dialogue and slapstick gags of all kinds. Great cast.
July 9, 2012
Great. Terrific. Wonderful. Funny. Awesome. Incredible. Hillarious.
June 4, 2012
no info = no interest
January 26, 2012
Peter O'Toole carries the whole film, since everyone else completely fails. Yet the film is also aimless and lacks variation and surprise. Watch only if you are a fan of O'Toole. Otherwise, nothing to see here.
January 12, 2012
O'Toole and Linn-Baker are great in this.
January 11, 2012
A fantastic comedy. The cast just shines. Saw on TCM 1/10/12.
December 10, 2011
O'Toole is perfect as the past his prime matinee idol. Mark Linn-Baker is wonderful as his man Friday. Highly recommended.